Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: General Anime Discussion X: Satellite Cannons 'R' Us

Should've called this "After War GAD-am X".

So:

Quote Originally Posted by SAMAS View Post
    They did some of that already in Z.
    Yeah, but Za Glory Star is only a single attack (two if you count the map version) and other than that, Balgora and Setsuko are original creations. And Signum on the other hand is, let's face it, ripping off Lamia and Angelg wholesale.

Not that it's a bad thing. Both Lamia and Signum are awesome.

Also, Obari did CompatiKaiser in OGs, so he's had OG experience.
    I know. This is why Compatible Kaiser looks just like Gravion.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-07-23 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: General Anime Discussion X: Satellite Cannons 'R' Us

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Magic is real in the same manner that alchemy is: attempts by people in the past to control their fates in imaginative and complicated ways. Both "worked" enough that they were cemented in history, but neither was successful enough to actually accomplish anything.
    No, you dont understand. Things like Auqua Regia, Boom Powder and the discovery of new Elements happened through Alchemy. Alchemy was a science.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: After War GADam X

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Should've called this "After War GAD-am X"
    And now I have.

Yeah, but Za Glory Star is only a single attack (two if you count the map version) and other than that, Balgora and Setsuko are original creations. And Signum on the other hand is, let's face it, ripping off Lamia and Angelg wholesale.
    If you squint, Wodan Ymir could be a reference to Fate, what with being an insecure clone who wields a zankantou. (yes, I know Zanber Form was a Sanger reference, but Wodan came after Fate)

Also, take a look at this - Super Robot anime with three female pilots:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0OnCMLkNU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmBpEkKk6u8
    Is it just me or does the main character look kinda familiar?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-23 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Hey, another rare mecha series with a female protagonist!

The artstyle looks very 80s but the series itself apparently comes from 2002. I guess they went for retro stylization on purpose. Getting a kinda Gunbuster meets GaoGaiGar vibe here. The pilot suits really remind me of Evangelion though, or to be even more precise - of Fafner. But Fafner came out in 2004, so it can't be a reference...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

So... anybody know anything about The Five Star Stories?

I've not heard from anyone reliable about it's quality, so I wonder if anyone knows much.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Alchemy is a science the same way a Utahraptor is a bird.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think the "is/was alchemy a legitimate field of science or not" discussion belongs in this thread anymore, as it isn't really discussed in the context or anime/manga.

---

I'm currently rereading through the Umineko question arcs, and once I'm through with them again I'll have nothing to watch for the time being. Having just finished watching Lain sometime before (seriously, what was that?), I'm presently compiling a list of things to watch. (haven't really taken any sort of real look at what's airing at present though)

Shakugan no Shana third season
    Full Metal Panic (have heard considerable praise for this, but know nothing about it; not sure yet)
    The Familiar of Zero (same deal as above, but I know the basic premise)
    Detective Conan 14th film (having watched all the previous ones, I've made it an annual thing to watch the new one. Even though I don't like the anime adaption otherwise, the manga is ok.)
    Haruhi film & Nanoha film (no explanation required, really)
    Eden of the East (might as well watch this at some point, and if it's good the films too)
    ??? (feel free to recommend anything)
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

9. - Top - End - #9

New Negima out!

Spoiler
    Show

Aaanndd we're back to the begginning. School life comedy-drama.

Will Negi learn IRON HEART SURGE to break out from there? Or will be rescued by some exterior force? Duh-duh duh!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atelm View Post
    Shakugan no Shana third season
    ?

What third season?
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    New Negima out!

Spoiler
    Show

Aaanndd we're back to the begginning. School life comedy-drama.

Will Negi learn IRON HEART SURGE to break out from there? Or will be rescued by some exterior force? Duh-duh duh!

Spoiler
    Show
    And here I thought the Book of Darkness being created by the Mage of the Beginning was crazy...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    So... anybody know anything about The Five Star Stories?

I've not heard from anyone reliable about it's quality, so I wonder if anyone knows much.
    Only secondhand information. I won't be able to help you much here, but from my impression the series is:
    1. Overwhelming in its scope
    2. Very, very unusual

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Anybody ever watched the Today in Class 5-2 Anime? Is it as good as the manga?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Negima:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the Lotus Eater Machine scenario. Now, I wonder when and how will Negi break free... or will he?

After all, what he wanted most is to find his father, and that's what he has now. He might as well just be happy with his existence now, whether or not he realizes it's a false one... okay, we're not fooling anyone. Of course he's breaking free out of this.

And Lotus Eater scenarios usually annoy me when they take too long (read: more than one chapter), but I actually like both School Hijinks Negima and Epic Adventuring Negima. So I'm okay with this one. And it's amusing to see princess Arika act tsundere towards her own son.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Negima
    Spoiler
    Show
    Negi is totally breaking out of LEM in short order. He's already clued in to its lack of reality and seems to have nearly broken it already. Though taking it over the top with Nagi and Arika might drag this out....

I'm willing to consider at this moment that this is where the two of them have been since Istanbul. Arika seems to have the same concerns as her son about this thing's reality.

Course it still leaves how Nagi left it to rescue Negi a few years later, but this makes sense to me. After all if we establish Nagi as alive, then somebody of his power level has to have some reason for not being around.

It seems to me that its either this or he fell for the previous Fate's offer and got snared by that eagle statue thing to not interefere, which is why the Megalomesembrian senate being being the village attack is significant.

Though these aren't mutually exclusive options either.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    ?

What third season?
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...es-after-s-ova

Of cource, it's not out yet or anything. Just a mental-self-note to watch it if and when it airs.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Barbarian View Post
    Anybody ever watched the Today in Class 5-2 Anime? Is it as good as the manga?
    I haven't read the manga so I can't comment on it's quality compared to that, but I did enjoy the anime immensely.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ooh, new thread. I forgot to look in here forever.

So, has anyone seen Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou? Spoiler alert: I hate it. :P

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Was linked to Metal Heart and read a few chapters. It's got to be the most meta Magical Girlfriend series ever. Also, Kyosuke Nambu appears to be in it for some reason.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-24 at 07:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SnS 3 is coming out this fall. As to your request for suggestions, most of these stuff are things you probably have watched before, I'll just list them anyway, in hopes that you'll find something that you have not watched.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kara no Kyoukai
    KyoAni+Key (Clannad, Kanon, Air, Angel Beats)
    Fate stay/night
    Elfen Lied
    School Days
    Ef
    Higrashu no Naku Koro Ni

Those are the rather more serious ones, though to different degrees.
    If you are just looking for fun and sunlight:

Spoiler
    Show
    Bamboo Blade

I'm not very sunny.

Also, I would suggest that you watch Kugimiya Rie's other works before Zero no Tsukaima, which I would say is average at best. Try Toradora if you haven't watched yet.
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2010-07-24 at 10:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    I haven't read the manga so I can't comment on it's quality compared to that, but I did enjoy the anime immensely.
    I love both the manga and the anime

I'm not a lolicon though. honest.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Barbarian View Post
    Except Alchemy was real, and magic isnt. So no, its its own thing. In China and the Middl East, it was definitely regarded as a science.
    While both those cultures almost arrived at the discovery of modern scientific practice, neither really could go much further than the idea of philosophical naturalism.

As for the Middle East, I could point a finger at a certain very prominent . . . uhhh . . . movement, for retarding progress.

You'll note that Chinese cultural bias tends to see the world as composed of dispassionate energies. This is an improvement over typically "Western" views that were more likely anthropomorphize everything they didn't understand. (Not that the "East" didn't have it's share of paternalistic spirits and gods.)

The problem is that the superstition remains superstition and the culture tends to be obssessed with the notion of internal and external harmony in one form or another (i.e. Daoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, the concept of Chi, Feng Shui and so on). However, "balance" is more an ideal than a fact of the universe. Notably, the classical Greeks also seemed to make the same mistake of confusing the two. (Wizard of Earthsea beats this theme to death with a stick.)

You can also tell a lot about a person by how they like their magic portrayed in fiction. People who think that "A" is "A" are among the more boring examples of this. (Alchemy is alchemy and not magic just because my words say so.)

The other boring permutation of this is when magic is literally just contemporary technology. Except it won't be called technology, because technology is a "sciency" thing used by course and common spirits who are blind to the infinite beauty of the universe. But the magic is just as bland, accessible, commonplace and safe as cellphones; though nobody seems to notice the irony.

Then there's White Wolf "Mages." Magic or "Magick" works exactly the way the metaphysician thinks it should. That is to say: White Wolf is inordinately fond of pretentious sophistry.

I've also concluded that the latter two examples are likely to indicate white guilt.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2010-07-25 at 02:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Can we please move the magic/alchemy/whatever discussion to a seperate thread?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Was linked to Metal Heart and read a few chapters. It's got to be the most meta Magical Girlfriend series ever. Also, Kyosuke Nambu appears to be in it for some reason.
    Yeah, I'm finding it to be hilarious, though I thought that it was odd being shown left-to-right for a manga. Though the fact that it's a Korean comic might have something to do with that.

25. - Top - End - #25

@S C : Of those listed I've watched Higurashi (orig. sound novels were much, much better), Ef (both seasons) and Angel Beats!.

I'm not touching either School Days or Elfen Lied with a ten-foot pole, for reasons too numerous to mention.

I might take a look at Kara no Kyokai, but the rest of the mentioned that I haven't already addressed don't seem to really be my style.

Edit: And, yes, I've watched Toradora. Amusing enough at times, but not that great of a series in any shape or form.
    Last edited by Atelm; 2010-07-25 at 03:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Then I don't see the point of ZnT. Try something else then. I can see why you wouldn't want to watch those two. If that's the case, drop Kara no Kyoukai as well. Too much blood. High definition, big budget animation blood but yeah. That doesn't really help.

So what is your style?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Why have I never heard of this show: Real Drive
    I think Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is one of the best shows ever made, not only because of the action but also because of the quality animation and sound, as well as putting a great deal of deeper thinking into a show about cyborgs blowing stuff up. Real Drive seems to be a similar show, but appparetly without the explosions.
    Which I consider a good thing, by the way.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I think Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is one of the best shows ever made, not only because of the action but also because of the quality animation and sound, as well as putting a great deal of deeper thinking into a show about cyborgs blowing stuff up. Real Drive seems to be a similar show, but appparetly without the explosions.
    Can't comment on Real Drive (although it does look interesting), I agree with your opinion on GitS SAC. It's just amazing. Saw it again recently and it has to be one of the best balanced shows around, not just in terms of anime, but in terms of everything.

Just thought I'd gush about it...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

*squueeee*

I think I have to get it on DVD and spread the word if it holds what it promisses.

Apparently it's not even available at amazon, but there's one offer from Malaysia on eBay. ^^
    I have a friend who's going to Japan after Christmas. I know he'll do a lot of shopping, so I get him to grab it for me.
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-07-25 at 08:25 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Similar sounds like an understatment here. Tvtropes is speculating their part of the same 'Verse