Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Bonus Feats in D&D 3.5E

Quick question I hope somebody has the answer to.

If I get a feat as a bonus feat from a class, say alertness or endurance and then at a later level another PRC grants me the exact same feat as a bonus feat what happens?

Do I get nothing at that level? (which would suck)

Do I get to pick a different feat? (possibly overpowered)

Is there a rule on this?
    Last edited by the_archduke; 2010-07-23 at 08:21 PM.
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bonus Feats

Depends on the source and if the writer thought to make any provisions for it. There is no general rule- if you get the feat twice, you have the feat twice, and for most feats that's the same as getting nothing because they don't stack with themselves. Some classes give a different effect if you already have the feat it would have granted. Some say to pick a different feat you qualify for as a replacement. Some just say to pick a different bonus feat (those are relatively rare, but quite silly when they come up because you can attempt to pick any dang thing you want. Your DM may disagree, but you can try.)

But in the case where no 'if you already have this feat' wording was added: You get nothing, unless it's one of the feats that can be taken multiple times.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2010-07-23 at 08:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Bonus Feats in D&D 3.5E

Pretty sure you get nothing though unless otherwise stated.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Pretty sure you get nothing though unless otherwise stated.
    This. Though a Min/max'er will have DCFS'd away the first iteration before the second came along.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

RAW, you get nothing.

At the table, if it's a wimpy feat like (as you mentioned) Alertness or Endurance, a lot of GMs will let them stack, like Alertness, or let you get another feat of similar theme and power level, like Endurance -> Toughness, for example... yes, (non-Azure) Toughness sucks, but so does Endurance, so it's roughly on par with what you'd be getting if you weren't doubling up anyway. Can't hurt to ask.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 22, and we'd love to see what you make! Don't be scared even if you've never tried before!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Bonus Feats in D&D 3.5E

Spoiler
    Show

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marshal Excerpt:
    Skill Focus (Diplomacy): Because a marshal has a way with people, he gains this feat as a bonus feat. If the marshal already has the feat, he can choose a different one.
    This is an example of a feat capable of being swapped for any other feat, if you already have it. Unfortunately, if the text doesn't specify, then you get nothing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Some feats get a bonus in a line. Ex: Uncanny Dodge -> Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Some feats you can only take once and get once. Ex: Alterness

Some feats are replaceable by alternate class features. Ex: Always replace Trap Sense +1 when playing a rogue. (You can get Penetrating Strike or other nifty abilities instead.)

~

Analyze whether you can take another feat in the line or replace one of the feats with an alternate class features (or racial substitution level for that matter).

Worst case scenario, if you're about to take a feat twice that can't apply twice, talk to your DM. If your DM isn't a total douche, he'll let you stack the feats or substitute in a minor feat like one of the "+2 to X Skill and +2 to Y Skill feats".

*edit*

For racial substitution information check out the Base Classes section at Crystal Keep.

For alternate class features check out Unearthed Arcana or search google for "X Handbook" where X is the name of the class you're searching for.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-07-24 at 04:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    This. Though a Min/max'er will have DCFS'd away the first iteration before the second came along.
    Min maxer here. Chaos shuffle costs money or spell slots.

The PHB 2 retraining rules cost nothing, and are the perfect solution to the situation. IE, swap for another feat on level up.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    The PHB 2 retraining rules cost nothing, and are the perfect solution to the situation. IE, swap for another feat on level up.
    That only works if you're allowed to choose the feat in the first place, though. If you get X specific feat as a bonus feat rather than a bonus feat of your choice from a list, you can't retrain it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That only works if you're allowed to choose the feat in the first place, though. If you get X specific feat as a bonus feat rather than a bonus feat of your choice from a list, you can't retrain it.
    Yup, but you could retrain the original one instead. Problem solved. Assuming your DM allows said retraining of course.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Yup, but you could retrain the original one instead. Problem solved. Assuming your DM allows said retraining of course.
    Ah, but the scenario in question is where both occurrences of the feat are specific bonus feats.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)