Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Ghoul PC 3.5

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ghoul PC 3.5

One of my players wants to be a ghoul. A ghoul who just becomes more ghoulish. I accepted his backstory to get him to CN.

The thing is he only wants to be a ghoul. No class levels, just undead HD at level up. But undead HD stink. My idea to balance him is double his XP gain, restrict his "class" skills to the ones in the entry, increase his size per 12 HD, and never "ghast" him.

Seem fair? Enough to not bore in and out of combat? Any thing to worry about?
    Gitp's No. 1 Rarity fan and Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Ghoul PC 3.5

There's a Ghoul undead monster class in Libris Mortis. Worth taking a look.
    Last edited by kabof; 2010-07-24 at 10:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Screw the ghoul monster class, it is ridiculously weak at ECL5. Consider the gravetouched ghoul template (libris mortis) instead, you pretty much get the same benefits at a more reasonable LA+2 (sans the racial HD).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

take the above template

I would suggest you have him take ranger (replace the TWF tree with multiattack, improved multiattack, then rapidstrike (claw)), favored enemy on his prey, track to hunt them down, and good bab to eat them. Have him take feats like ability focus to up the saves on his abilites and let him go to town eating people.

Just don't bother calling him a ranger, he is just a ghoul who is good at being a ghoul.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Try the ghoul PC class, but change level adjust to more HD. That way they're only half BAB, but they get much better class features than they would as a melee class and all the benefits of being undead (poison immunity, non-lethal immunity, crit immunity, con as a dump score)

The additional limmiter is the no-armor, only simple weapon proficiency penalty, but since you get natural armor as a class feature I think it's only fair.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Throw another vote to grave-touched ghoul and top it off with LA buy-off so that said PC won't have to worry about the terribleness of dead levels and/or undead HD.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Crap. Wish I still had my Libris Mortis.
    Gitp's No. 1 Rarity fan and Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Try this. It scales with non-Ghoul class levels (or should do, most other classes in that thread do) so you become more Ghoul-ish as you gain class levels in it or other classes.

The rest of the stuff there is also good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Here's an LA +0 ghoul template with a racial paragon class.

What level are you playing at?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-25 at 09:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Here's an LA +0 ghoul template with a racial paragon class.

What level are you playing at?
    I like this option. Though I don't think you would have to be Evil. I would make the requirement, Non-good in alignment. If the character kills sentient beings for the purposes of eating them, that would be evil. But if they just eat the dead I would see that as non-good in the D&D universe.

Frankly I don't consider eating the dead a moral issue. But that's just me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

You could refluff a class into Ghoul growth, or use something like Evolved Undead with HD instead of LA as his progression. Otherwise, he's gonna need ~2-for-1 HD progression to stay remotely competitive.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsubo 57 View Post
    I like this option. Though I don't think you would have to be Evil. I would make the requirement, Non-good in alignment. If the character kills sentient beings for the purposes of eating them, that would be evil. But if they just eat the dead I would see that as non-good in the D&D universe.

Frankly I don't consider eating the dead a moral issue. But that's just me.
    Undead for most part is evil. They are no longer part of the natural cycle of Life and Death.
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurlbut View Post
    Undead for most part is evil. They are no longer part of the natural cycle of Life and Death.
    Hence the question of what about this is inherently evil. Ghouls, Vampires, Wights, those make sense due to being intelligent and cruel and preferring their meals to be of the sapient races they were once part of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

logical a good or neutral aligned ghoul would refrain from using attacks that might create more ghouls. Also i would second the idea that straight ghouls is to weak. Their were specialty undead prestige classes in liber mortis but you already mentioned you don't have that book so that dose not really help you. Personally i would suggest making a home brew ghoul class with the abilities he wants.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

A search for "Ghoul Class" in the homebrew forums brings up this:

True Ghoul class.

It has some problems, like it doesn't define itself that well. For example, I would assume that the race aspect would grant undead immunities and take away the con score, but it's not spelled out what it does if anything.

Also, some of the abilities are similarly not well defined. Like the one about charging his claws with negative energy. What's the duration?

But it's certainly a start on being a PC who is a ghoul, and becomes more ghoulish.