New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fillling Out Hobgoblin's +1 LA

HOBGOBLIN

# +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
    # Medium: As Medium creatures, hobgoblins have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    # Hobgoblin base land speed is 30 feet.
    # Darkvision 60 ft.
    # +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
    # Goblinoid subtype (Goblin Blood).
    # Automatic Languages: Common and Goblin.
    # Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass hobgoblin’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
    # Level Adjustment: +1

How would you fill out the +1 LA?

Perhaps a bonus feat from the fighter list?
    and/or +1 natural armor?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fillling Out Hobgoblin's +1 LA

I wouldn't. I'd just make them LA 0.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also make them LA+0 by taking away the DEX bonus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the hobgoblins I use in my campaign setting.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution.
    A hobgoblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    Dark Vision out to 60 feet.
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
    Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Infernal, Giant, Orc

* Armor Training: Hobgoblins may sleep in medium without becoming fatigued. If they have the endurance feat they may sleep in heavy armor without problems.

*Cunning Flanker: A Hobgoblins are masters of cooperation in combat. While flanking they gain a +4 bonus on attack rolls instead of the usual +2.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Increasing their base land speed to 40ft, giving them a small natural armor bonus, and/or giving them some sort of bonus on flanking would all help.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Not what you asked for, but here are my homebrew hobgoblins.

+2 Constitution, -1 to will saves. Hobgoblins are disciplined and punished harshly since birth by a highly domineering society, developing tough bodies resistant to pain but lacking personal willpower and the mental ability to block influence. A hobgoblin instinctively follows commands and orders.
    A hobgoblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
    +3 to Grapple checks
    +2 to all Art of War checks (Bull Rush, Disarm, Feint, Overrun, Sunder, & Trip)
    +2 vs. all Art of War checks (Bull Rush, Disarm, Feint, Overrun, Sunder, & Trip)
    +2 to Knowledge (architecture & Engineering) & Proffession (Seige Engineer) checks and can use them untrained.
    Any hobgoblin who is adjacent to an ally hobgoblin gains a +1 shield bonus to AC against melee attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I gave my hobgoblins +1 initiator level, to make up for the LA, and favoured class: Warblade. A few other things as well, but I don't remember them all.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am not sure that this will be my final version of Hobgoblins, but here is their current incarnation, at least.

Hobgoblin
    +2 Dex, +2 Con
    Medium Size Humanoid (Goblinoid)
    Base Land Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
    Bonus Feat: At first level, hobgoblins can choose one feat from the following list (provided that they meet the prerequisites) as a bonus feat. This feat represents their specific style of combat training, but does not affect what classes or other feats they can take.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Endurance, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Quick Draw
    Improved Flanking: Due to extensive combat formation training, hobgoblins are very effective at flanking opponents. They receive a +4 attack bonus when flanking instead of a +2 bonus.
    Keen Vision*: A hobgoblin can see three times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    Military Training**: Hobgoblins automatically have proficiency in light & medium armor, shields (except tower shields), and the Polearms Weapon Group.
    Dwarf Hatred: Like all Goblins, Hobgoblins and Dwarves have a relationship of hate and war. They gain a +1 racial attack bonus against Dwarves.

I removed the bonus to Move Silently, since it makes less sense for a Medium-sized warrior type than it does a Small-sized sneaky type. Obviously, flanking bonuses have come up as several suggestions in this thread; my Hobgoblin includes that as well, so I am thinking maybe it was an official suggestion in some book or online article?

* In my campaign world, Darkvision was a much rarer ability, only true monsters had it, not simply every monstrous humanoid and Dwarves.
    ** Armor and weapon proficiencies were a little different in my campaign, too. You could easily replace this with Endurance to grant that "sleep in Medium Armor without fatigue" ability. Plus, Diehard makes a great 1st level feat.
    Last edited by Darkxarth; 2010-07-26 at 10:35 AM.
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

9. - Top - End - #9

Given the nature of the name and that +4 Move Silently already in there you might want to add +4 to Hide as well and grant some sort of fear causing effect (perhaps linked to jumping out and surprising the victim).
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanomicon View Post
    Given the nature of the name and that +4 Move Silently already in there you might want to add +4 to Hide as well and grant some sort of fear causing effect (perhaps linked to jumping out and surprising the victim).
    Fear is more a Bugbear thing than Hob's. Hobs are tactically inclined sorts, hence the Flanking boost people keep suggesting.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #11

I was referring more to this entry than the MM entry.

Yes, bugbear can be a source of fear as well.
    I, personally would give them more powerful fear (just because they're a bigger, more powerful creature) than a Hobgoblin and something that will be a persistent thorn in the PCs' sides, like a wounding weapon, some hindrance or a debuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

<Opens up fighter simulator>
    Giving them a +2 to strength puts them slightly behind a human in a simple fight. Ditto for +2 natural armor. Giving them +0 LA makes them OP, but it's only a little worse than how UP they were. Looks like hobgoblins were a solid 0.5 LA race and it got rounded up.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-07-27 at 09:38 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)