New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Reroll rules?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Reroll rules?

Ok so everyone knows that the luck domain is an amazing domain just because of its domain power. Grants 1 reroll/day. Well when you have the feat that says roll 2d20 for a will save and take the better result can you do your "reroll" from your domain power and reroll both 2d20's?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Reroll rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    Ok so everyone knows that the luck domain is an amazing domain just because of its domain power. Grants 1 reroll/day. Well when you have the feat that says roll 2d20 for a will save and take the better result can you do your "reroll" from your domain power and reroll both 2d20's?
    Well, I'd ask your DM (unless you are your DM), but I'd say that you'd re-roll only one more time, & take that result no matter what. Personally, I'd also say that in such a situation, you probably should save your re-roll for something better; you're already getting a chance to roll twice & take the best result, so why add another roll to the mix? Were those last two rolls that bad? Do you need that good of a Will save? Unless its dire, save the re-roll for some other situation if you can.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've always envisioned the Luck Domain to be based on the idea of rerolling a single die, but I can see how that isn't actually explicitly stated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

This extraordinary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the game master declares whether the roll results in success or failure.
    Without looking at the exact text of the will save feat in question*, it seems like you could re-roll one of your d20 rolls in the 2d20. This is because you're not replacing a result (which would be the highest of 2d20), but actually rerolling one die roll. That said, if your initial rolls were 2 and 11, and you used your luck ability to replace the 2 and got a 7, you would still have an 11.

*Sauce? It's ringing a bell, but I can't remember exactly what/where it is...
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2010-07-25 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I greatly enjoy the Pride Domain Power myself...

Whenever you roll a 1 on a saving throw you may immediately reroll the save. You must keep the result of the second roll, even if it results in the roll of another 1.

You'll never re-roll worse than the roll before.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-07-25 at 01:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    *Sauce? It's ringing a bell, but I can't remember exactly what/where it is...
    PH II I just dont remember the feat name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Right, Indomitable Soul. I think my interpretation is correct, then.
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

The Indomitable Soul feat states: "Whenever you make a Will save against a mind affecting or fear ability, you can roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls."

The text of the Luck domain says: "You gain the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll."

Personally, as a DM, I would read that as follows:

"Whenever you make a Will save against a mind affecting or fear ability, you can..."

1) Roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls.

If you also had the Luck domain, and wished to use your once per day power, you could then...

2) Reroll one roll that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.

In my opinion, "one roll" in this case would include "roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls".

There's nothing in the text of "roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls" that indicates that those are two separate rolls. If the text had said "Make two rolls and take the best result", that might be different, but it seems to me that it's saying that the result of your roll (singular) is the best of 2d20.

I mostly play Core-only, though, so I might be missing something. Are there other cases where you'd roll multiple dice to determine success or failure and only take the highest result?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not 100% sure on the RAW in 3.5, but:

Indomitable Soul saids "Roll 2d20 and use the higher result", so once this action is done you have a single die roll result from your two rolls. You may then use Luck domain, allows you to reroll one roll, and use the result, even if its lower. This means that either you have one die roll to try and get higher then your result, or choose one of the two dice to roll.

I'm guessing you are supposed to roll one die and try to beat the result, but I do not recall WotC ever explicitly stating the reroll rules.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

No one's saying the rules are clear, but I stand by my interpretation. If 2d20 take the highest result counts as one roll (not one result, which is a different thing), then wouldn't damage rolls count as well?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    No one's saying the rules are clear, but I stand by my interpretation. If 2d20 take the highest result counts as one roll (not one result, which is a different thing), then wouldn't damage rolls count as well?
    Nope, because they're not a roll which results in success or failure.