New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Hellfire Warlock / Hellfire Shield

Hellfire Shield states "Whenever someone directs a melee attack against you, you can, as an immediate action, aim a blast of hellfire at that creature."

So if a dragon did a full attack with all 6 attacks (bite, clawx2, wingx2, tail), would the hellfire warlock be able to use the Hellfire Shield 6 times? One for each "attack"? Or is the "Full Attack" considered one attack, thus only use Hellfire Shield once?

If 6 times then I suppose each dragon attack should be rolled separately since it may be possible for the hellfire warlock to kill the dragon before all of its attacks get a chance to do damage.

One obvious drawback would be the 6 points of lost CON, but I just wanted to get the rules straight.
    Last edited by aeauseth; 2010-07-25 at 01:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hellfire Warlock / Hellfire Shield

You only get one immediate action a round, so it doesn't really matter.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The dragon in question is taking 6 melee attacks against you (all as part of a single full-round action). If you could somehow take as many immediate actions as you wanted, the dragon would trigger Hellfire Shield on each attack. But as arguskos points out, this distinction is purely academic in this case.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, not strictly, Chronotyryn Shapechange and extra swift actions can both arguably increase the amount of Immediates you can perform. Outside that, yeah.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.