New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Paradigm Project! (Yes, and a new thread too!)

O.K, so, I think that the paradigm project was a fun and interesting idea (for a link to the original thread, look HERE). However, it flopped, and I think I know why: because we had no idea what we were trying to do!

We had no aim, and no mission statements other that that combat was supposed to work 'kind of like that video on youtube that I saw'.

So, this time, let's start with some mission objectives. Everybody interested in contributing, sort them into two lists, kind of vague feeling of the game objectives, and more specific rules objectives. Then will have a big vote/discussion, and decide where we want to go from there. So, here's mine:

Flavour / Feeling Suggestions:

Idea that power is based on belief, and that even the apparently mundane warrior has a spark of supernatural power waiting to be released.

Idea that PCs are normal people with extraordinary powers.

Capacity to build a genuine-feeling fantasy world, where there are transparent rules for all sorts of creatures and characters, and everyone is a living, vulnerable creature.

Flexible alignment and morality.

Rules Suggestions:

Not so much balance as everyone having something to contribute, something that no-one else in the party can do.

Numbers that translate easily and make sense (so, things like monsters having fixed XP (or whatever we want to call it) ratings rather than giving different rewards based on the level of the characters)

The same character generation method for PCs, NPCs, and monsters.

High capacity for personalisation, powers of all sorts, monsters, characters should be easily homebrewed, with simple and easy-to-follow balance rules.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Paradigm Project! (Yes, and a new thread too!)

I like the sounds of this.
    Very interesting and in line with some things I'd like in a game.
    Particularly the high capacity for personalization and uniqueness, easy homebrew, and all the fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Anybody else interested? Any project objectives still to be submitted?

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seems kinda lonely around here, doesn't it?

Well, I'm totally down for working with you on some sort of an overhaul of d20 and possibly a world to go along with it.
    Or, if you'd like, just a new method of character creation and feats, skills, abilities, rules, etc. to go along with it.

Unfortunately my internet access is about to become a lot less frequent for the next month or two, but if you wanna get into this for the long haul then I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gareth and I discussed this, and have determined to let the 'digm project rest for a while until he and I can sit down and discuss it at length. This means we can't entirely endorse this thread and so, if you want to revise d20, I have to politely request that you leave the 'digm project out of it for the time being.

Also, for future reference, we would have appreciated a PM on the matter before you started a new thread for our project. Not that it's that important, but if would have been polite.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-07-26 at 11:18 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

@rowanomicon: im making a new system here. i would welcome your help there.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Gareth and I discussed this, and have determined to let the 'digm project rest for a while until he and I can sit down and discuss it at length.
    That's probably a good move.

If you ever do feel like getting things back up and running, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

As a suggestion, I think you may be a little better off moving things a little closer to where you started.

As buggy, inconsistent, and informally specified as 3rd edition might be, it's still the system most people are proficient in. Even now, it has a fair shot at being the place where people will most appreciate new content. Making a new rules-heavy system requires a massive amount of work compared with what you were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    O.K, so, I think that the paradigm project was a fun and interesting idea (for a link to the original thread, look HERE). However, it flopped, and I think I know why: because we had no idea what we were trying to do!
    There were a few different things responsible, I think.

One of the larger issues was simply having a group of people who barely knew each other working on a project over the internet. Part of the issue is something you've basically nailed -- different people had different priorities, and different ideas.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-07-27 at 06:20 PM.