New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Healing Breath

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Healing Breath

I am playing a level 11 dragonfire adept. I was wondering if there are any invocations or feats that allows me to have my breath heal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Healing Breath

At-will healing is an extremely limited resource, usually only achievable through complex builds/obscure sources.

Dragonfire Adepts have no "healing breath" per se.

If your DM lets you pick the Draconic Auras from the PHBII as well as Dragon Magic, the feat Draconic Aura will let you pick up the Vigor Aura. It grants fast healing in an aura around you that scales with your character level if you're of the dragonblood subtype... which as a DFA, you are. However, it only heals characters up to half HP, limiting its usefulness, and "fast healing" is a painful oxymoron in combat.

It's useful mainly for saving small amounts of money on healing out of combat and stabilizing/reactivating party members dropped into the negatives without having to take further actions if you're in a huge jam.

DFAs have UMD. You can whip wands of Cure Light Wounds or Lesser Vigor to heal party members out of combat.

DFAs are not an inherently healer-like class. Your best bet is to debuff the enemy and "heal" your party by preventing damage that way. Healing in combat is almost always a waste of actions, because even if you heal up to max in one action, some monster is still beating the crap out of you. As any real healer would say, treat the illness, not the symptom.

Links for you, since you seem to be somewhat new to the boards:

A Dragonfire Adept Handbook.
    A Guide to Healing.
    Last edited by balistafreak; 2010-07-25 at 05:14 PM.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Getting people to Absorb the type of energy your Breath Weapon is works. That's rather hard outside Shapechange though. Close-enough to an Invocations-user though is Eldritch Disciple PrC which can turn Warlock's Eldritch Blast into healing. Reasonably, it could be converted to DFA to do the same. Requires divine casting though; suggest Ur-Priest though Cleric is never bad either (we like Domains!).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-07-25 at 06:23 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4

Do note that such conversion of damage-to-healing requires expenditure of another resource (turn undead attempts) so no, you still lack a source of infinite healing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cravix View Post
    I am playing a level 11 dragonfire adept. I was wondering if there are any invocations or feats that allows me to have my breath heal.
    No invocations or feats, but the Eldritch Disciple PrC has the Healing Blast class feature. You do need 3 levels of a divine class to qualify though. That's the closest I can find. But once you achieve it, your DM, unless they're an asshat, will allow you to do it with your breath weapon.

Ninja'd! That's what I get for not reading the entire thread.
    Last edited by thompur; 2010-07-25 at 07:04 PM.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Get an electric breath weapon and have someone play a lesser mechanatrix.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Get an electric breath weapon and have someone play a lesser mechanatrix.
    Ironically, you can't be a Lesser Mechanatrix yourself and heal yourself with it, because a creature is immune to its own breath weapon unless otherwise noted.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Ironically, you can't be a Lesser Mechanatrix yourself and heal yourself with it, because a creature is immune to its own breath weapon unless otherwise noted.
    I believe the idea is for someone other then the DFA to be the Mechanatrix. :p

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, you can fix that by getting a +1 Vampiric weapon (Vampiric is a +2 equivalent weapon property from the Magic Item Compendium - 1d6 actual healing to the wielder, same amount dealt to the person hit) ... assuming that a Lesser Mechanatrix is a living critter, rather than a construct, anyway.

But yes, the Vampiric weapon property is really useful. Vampiric Dagger + The Summon Elemental Reserve Feat = Infinite out-of-combat healing (Summon elemental, hit elemental. Summon Elemental, hit elemental...). Such a weapon also lets you had it off to others in the party for a time, so you can get everyone healed up out of combat, as long as you have a source of infinite HP on a target (a critter with Fast Healing or Regeneration that's bound to you by some means, the Summon Elemental Reserve Feat for infinite pop-up targets, the Minor Shapeshift reserve feat (under certain circumstances), and so on).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #10

If you are planning to go undead or work with undead and breathe cold... Icefane Corpse from Dungeon Magazine 109 is a good spell for you to get an item based of off.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...icefane-corpse

Spoiler
    Show
    Icefane Corpse
    Necromancy [Cold]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets: One undead creature
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You infuse the affected undead with a powerful burst of necromantic cold. Affected undead gain the following benefits:

•One of the undead creature’s natural attacks becomes infused with supernatural cold, and inflicts 1d6 additional points of cold damage on a hit.
    •Fire resistance 10.
    •Any time the undead suffers cold damage, it is instead healed for an amount of hit points equal to the damage it would have suffered. Any resistance to cold that the undead creature might have does not reduce the amount of healing that it receives when exposed to cold damage.
    Material Component: A wight’s thumbnail.

If you go Necropolitan and gain the fire subtype via Mantle of the Fiery Spirit spell... then use Icefane Corpse spell/item... you'd heal 50% more... or 100% more if you take Peircing Cold damage.

Of course, if you're immune to your own breath weapon...
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-07-25 at 09:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Hi

There is an ability from one of the Theurge PrC's in Complete Mage that allow you to convert Eldritch Blasts into Healing Blasts. Costs you one use of Turn Undead each time.

So in theory, blast away at the party when fighting undead. Hurt the Undead, heal the party! :)

But it is limited to the amount of Turn Undeads you get/day.

Cheers
    Paul H

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

There is an ability from one of the Theurge PrC's in Complete Mage that allow you to convert Eldritch Blasts into Healing Blasts. Costs you one use of Turn Undead each time.

So in theory, blast away at the party when fighting undead. Hurt the Undead, heal the party! :)

But it is limited to the amount of Turn Undeads you get/day.

Cheers
    Paul H
    Do you realize this has been mentioned twice already??
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13

DruidGuy

Hi

Comes of posting before my first cup of tea.........

But that means at least two others agree with me!

Cheers
    Paul H

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not healing - but if someone in your group is willing to play an Incarnate they can use the Flame Cincture soulmeld. When bound to the Waist chakra it absorbs Fire damage and allows them to shoot the absorbed fire as a Swift Action on their next turn. So it protects them while essentially doubling your damage output against 1 enemy.

True. But you can just buy a Shocking weapon and stab yourself repeatedly. Or use the Lightning Gauntlets soulmeld. Or any of a dozen other methods of dealing Electricity damage.

Similarly, the Tome Tainted Soul feat (Libris Mortis) allows you to be healed by Negative Energy, as does the Acererak vestige and anything that turns you into an Undead.