Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrown Katana

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Thrown Katana

This is a bit of a stupid question, but I have to ask. If I were to have a magical Katana of throwing, is it considered a thrown weapon? If so, I can actually make this ridiculous class combination of Samurai, Ranger, and Master Thrower.
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2010-07-25 at 11:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Thrown Katana

I would depend on your DM, but I think as RAW, you should be able to do it, as it requires "Any Thrown Weapon", and under SRD, technically you can make any weapon a thrown weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I must get me one of those

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Now I will have a one level Saumrai, 4th level Ranger, 5th level Master Thrower who lobs Katanas of throwing and returning at you. Oh man this is going to be so ridiculously fun.

PS. New question! Would Hulking Hurler at all help this idea, and/or are there any other classes which could seriously help the katana lobber?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hehehe, I have the perfect build bookmarked just for this right here.

It involves abusing Iajutsu Focus, and throwing plenty of freshly-drawn throwing katanas, with means of having them return to you. Have fun looking through it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah yes I've seen this before. But is there a way to bookmark them on GitP? And where is he getting his info on the Iaijutsu ability? All I've seen referring Iaijutsu was the bonuses for wielding katana and wakizachi simultaneously.
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2010-07-26 at 12:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Oriental Adventures, wasn't it? Or Unapproachable East.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

Oriental Adventures. Also had the iaijutsu master.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Ah yes I've seen this before. But is there a way to bookmark them on GitP? And where is he getting his info on the Iaijutsu ability? All I've seen referring Iaijutsu was the bonuses for wielding katana and wakizachi simultaneously.
    At the top right corner of the first post of any thread, there's a thread tools button which opens a drop-down list. One of the options is "Subscribe to this Thread" click on that and it will be saved to your subscriptions which can be viewed via your CP.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, putting both throwing and returning on your weapons means it is going to end up being the same price as a +3 weapon, which means it's going to be pretty late in the game before this build "pops".
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-07-26 at 02:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    On the other hand, putting both throwing and returning on your weapons means it is going to end up being the same price as a +3 weapon, which means it's going to be pretty late in the game before this build "pops".
    Alternatively, you can pay 10k for a:
    Gloves of Taarnahm the Vigilant (PGtF, 10,000 gp) Gives any weapon you are holding throwing and returning weapon qualities.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Could also try BloodStormBlade.

13. - Top - End - #13

2nd Bloodstorm Blade. Combine with Hulking Hurler. Swap Katana for Colossal Mercurial Greatsword.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    Gloves of Taarnahm the Vigilant (PGtF, 10,000 gp) Gives any weapon you are holding throwing and returning weapon qualities.
    Where's this from?

Also, I recall a weapon augment crystal that gave the returning property.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Where's this from?
    PGtF = Player's Guide to Faerun
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-07-26 at 06:43 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    2nd Bloodstorm Blade. Combine with Hulking Hurler. Swap Katana for Colossal Mercurial Greatsword.
    I third Bloodstorm Blade. But the rest of the post i don't agree with at all.

He wants to use a katana, so why are you advising him to use a different weapon? Sheesh.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloodstorm Blade is the best throwing class, IMO. The requirements aren't as steep as Master Thrower's, and you actually get power out of it. Master Thrower is better for throwing small darts.

Bloodstorm Blade is for when you mean business. (And Hulking Hurler doesn't exist.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I do hope you realize that you're going to miss a lot. Weapons not designed for throwing have only a 10' range increment, which means you'll always have a penalty for this use. (At 5' you'll provoke an attack of opportunity for using a ranged weapon, and at 10' you're already at 1 range increment and have a -2 penalty to attack.) And you'll have a maximum possible range of 5 increments (50' total). So Far Shot, which doubles your range increments for thrown weapons, is a must-have feat.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

It is possible to throw a weapon that isnít designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesnít have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.
    So it'll take a -4 penalty automatically, plus another -2 for every 10 feet after the first 10. Also note that it's a standard action to throw, so you'll only be able to throw one per round.

Unless give them all the "Throwing" enhancement.

Throwing
    This ability can only be placed on a melee weapon. A melee weapon crafted with this ability gains a range increment of 10 feet and can be thrown by a wielder proficient in its normal use.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic stone; Price +1 bonus.
    Or have some class feature that specifically lets you throw any weapon without penalty, etc
    Last edited by Moriato; 2010-07-26 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

That sounds like a waste of 10,000 gold to me. If you've thrown the weapon, you're no longer holding it, so it loses the throwing and returning qualities.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    So it'll take a -4 penalty automatically, plus another -2 for every 10 feet after the first 10.
    No, it starts with a -2 penalty at 10'.
    Range Increment

Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll.
    10' is one full range increment, and that's where you get the first -2 range penalty.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Aren't katana's masterwork bastard swords? I also think there's a weapon enchantment in the DMG to make a weapon a thrown weapon.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Aren't katana's masterwork bastard swords? I also think there's a weapon enchantment in the DMG to make a weapon a thrown weapon.
    Best way is the Throw Anything feat (ToB, CW), which you get for free with Bloodstorm Blade. It lets you treat any melee weapon you are proficient with as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    That sounds like a waste of 10,000 gold to me. If you've thrown the weapon, you're no longer holding it, so it loses the throwing and returning qualities.
    Yeah, of course. It can only mean the magical item does not work at all.
    It can't, like, be an exception or anything. Of course not. You can clearly see this item was a trap made for players to drop thei wealth by level by 10,000 so they don't get candles of invocation. Sure.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Yeah, of course. It can only mean the magical item does not work at all.
    It can't, like, be an exception or anything. Of course not. You can clearly see this item was a trap made for players to drop thei wealth by level by 10,000 so they don't get candles of invocation. Sure.
    And? D&D has horrible wording and most of it is poorly formated. Why is it bad form to point it out when it comes up.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    So Far Shot, which doubles your range increments for thrown weapons, is a must-have feat.
    Far Shot is available via item: Helm of the Hunter (MIC p. 194, 9000 GP) or Horizon Goggles (CMage p. 133, 8000 GP).

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, the actual text for it is:
    Glove of Taarnahm the Vigilant: This chainmail gauntlet allows the wielder to hurl any melee weapon he carries as though it had the throwing and returning special abilities.

So probably if you RAW it, it could be interpreted that as soon as the weapon leaves your hands it loses the enhancements, but probably RAI, it's suppose to retain the abilities.

EDIT: Actually, even RAW they should retain the qualities, as the weapon gains the abilities upon entering the "hurled" state, and continue to retain the properties as long as they're in such a state .-.
    Last edited by Saya; 2010-07-26 at 06:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

And? D&D has horrible wording and most of it is poorly formated. Why is it bad form to point it out when it comes up.
    Because the intent is obvious. You were just being needlessly snarky, so I acted in a needlessly snarky way as well.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-07-26 at 06:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have that!
    +2 Distance Keen Returning Throwing Katana!

To make a long story short, "They call me Master of the flying guillotine."
    Perception is reality.

Non Sum Qualis Eram.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Because the intent is obvious. You were just being needlessly snarky, so I acted in a needlessly snarky way as well.
    People keep saying that about D&D, but every time the response is the same:

"Intent is irrelevant, only what's written matters".

Further the actual text of the ability provided by Saya, proves my stance wrong as part of a casual reading.