New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default How many weapons/armor do you carry at a time?

Questions in the title.

Personally, this can vary incredibly by class.

My old wizard held nothing but a +2 frost quarterstaff and a nonmagical robe.
    My Monk from a bit back. +1 holy handwraps of undead bane (big undead
    adventure. got a lot of use)
    The Paladin I'm playing though.

+4 cold iron Bastard sword of pure good
    +5 greatclub
    +2 ghost touch longsword
    +3 returning throwing hammers
    +4 returning throwing knives
    +5 full plate
    +3 mithril chain shirt
    the list goes on. My Hammerspace is to the brim (with a couple hammers actually also

So what weapons to you bring with you to the field? Is it just your ancestral battleax or are you a walking armory?
    Last edited by Acero; 2010-07-26 at 08:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How many weapons/armor do you carry at a time?

I generally carry around enough weapons to get at least one of each of the main damage types (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing) as well as at least one reach weapon. So a minimum of two weapons (assuming one carries two damage types and the other is a reach weapon that's of the third type), usually more.

On my spell casters, generally only one weapon, which is only used as an emergency.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would get a Badass Long Coat with access to lots of Hammerspace...

Cutting wheels (Secrets of Sarlona, pg. 135-7) rock for the reason that they deal peircing and slashing simultaneously, can be finessed, can be thrown and they give +2 against disarm attamepts.

Spoiler
    Show

Exotic Light Melee Weapon // 1d6 dmg // 19-20 crit // 10 ft. range inc. // 1 lb. // peircing and slashing // +2 against disarm attempts
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-07-26 at 10:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

My current personal record is... 20 weapons, but it's for a throwing build.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I once had a dwarf who carried 10 daggers, a great club, a war axe, and a large great goliath war hammer and wore medium armor.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    I would get a Badass Long Coat
    My monk had that, with a ring that slowed time. helped alot in making things dramatic

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    Go for the Telekinetic Boomerang power in Races of the Wild...
    ...lets each affected weapon return to you between each iterrative attack... meaning for a full round attack, you need only one weapon for each hand.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRangerGuy

In the 4e campaign I'm playing in now we had one character, a paladin, that was quite literally a walking armory. At one point he had two separate sets of plate armor, at least 5 swords, and a crossbow. At one point, one player in our group took his character sheet, and drew a picture of the character with several swords on his back, and needless to say, his character has been the source of many jokes.

9. - Top - End - #9

Depends on the game. My Iron Heroes Man-at-Arms had to buy a couple of wardogs to carry his armaments because sometime after the third greataxe, the DM ruled he couldn't carry it all. My 4e rogue just had a pair of rapiers and some throwing daggers. My Midgard berserker had an axe, a sax, a scramsax, and some constantly-repaired armor.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Depends on the game. My Iron Heroes Man-at-Arms had to buy a couple of wardogs to carry his armaments because sometime after the third greataxe, the DM ruled he couldn't carry it all. My 4e rogue just had a pair of rapiers and some throwing daggers. My Midgard berserker had an axe, a sax, a scramsax, and some constantly-repaired armor.
    wait, he was a musician? Or do you mean saxe like a saxe knife, which i has never seen outside of Ranger's Aprentice?
    Last edited by Acero; 2010-07-26 at 09:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Depends. I'll usually have at least a dagger, if I'm a caster. Melee characters have their primary weapon(s), any specialized extra, and a ranged weapon.

Then again, if I'm lazy (which is often), I'll neglect to put them on my character sheet (or any items whatsoever ).

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Acero View Post
    wait, he was a musician? Or do you mean saxe like a saxe knife, which i has never seen outside of Ranger's Aprentice?
    Yeah, I meant the knife. Though the Man-at-Arms did have Perform(stringed instruments) and carried around a lyre with a blade hidden in it. He was a little paranoid about ever being caught without weapons.
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

It obviouslt varies from character to character, but my record is 7 weapons ready for use and four in the backpack. My Duskblade had:
    -A Falchion and a Guisarme slung across his back.
    -A rapier and Morningstar on his belt
    - A dagger attached to each leg
    - A crossbow... Somewhere. I can't remember where. Maybe it was also on his back.
    -4 more daggers in his pack.

That was about as far as I could go without breaking my ability to imagine him, and even then he looked ever so slightly silly. But, I had every contingency covered except bludgeoning Reach, and I don't even think there is such a thing... Regardless, I found it to be a very effective weapons loadout, even if I never used the daggers in a fight and only used the Rapier once.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

1 reach weapon
    1 1h weapon
    1 light weapon
    1 ranged weapon
    ammunition for the ranged weapon.

All in all, it's quite a simple setup from a d&d perspective. Unless you count spares that I am not using because there's better stuff....but usually that means just one or two depleted whatevers.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on the character. Since I play predominantly casters, here's what I tend to pack.

One melee weapon, with wand chamber. Typically a long sword, if elvish, since proficiency means I may someday hit on something other than a nat 20. This is used solely so that I threaten.

An adamantium dagger or other small/tiny weapon. Boot blades are also awesome. This exists to be concealed in order to escape from any physical traps.

A rod of many wands. Also, many, many, many wands. This gets busted out when the spells per day get strained.

A heavy crossbow, loaded with tumbling bolts. This is the early level version of the rod. 1d10+2 damage is no joke at level 1, and thus, it provides basically one free attack per combat without burning spell slots. Obviously, reloading only happens outside of combat.

Kusari-gama are also nice.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    That was about as far as I could go without breaking my ability to imagine him, and even then he looked ever so slightly silly.
    Pff. I'm a girl who's a bit on the small side and at renfaires I have a falchion on my back, a shortsword on one side and a longsword on the other, a dagger in each of my boots and I'm planning on getting more daggers for my thigh and my bracers and my belt. I could fit a crossbow on my back without much trouble and still have room for another sword or two. It just gets tricky to sit down.

17. - Top - End - #17

RangerGuy

My current charecter (L8 Swordsage / L2 Fighter) has

• +3 Longsword: Carried on back, main weapon.
    • Adamantite Gauntlet: On left hand. Magical, lets me make a single off-hand attack with no penalty. Does not stack with TWF
    • Masterwork Shortsword: Carried on belt, back-up weapon
    • +1 Composite Longbow: Strapped to quiver, which is worn on back
    • Daggers: (2) Regular Daggers, one on belt and the other hidden in right boot. Silvered Dagger attached to the strap for longsword. Cold Iron Dagger on belt.

• Masterwork Warhammer: kept in bag of holding
    Last edited by TheWerdna; 2010-07-26 at 11:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    It obviouslt varies from character to character, but my record is 7 weapons ready for use and four in the backpack. My Duskblade had:
    -A Falchion and a Guisarme slung across his back.
    -A rapier and Morningstar on his belt
    - A dagger attached to each leg
    - A crossbow... Somewhere. I can't remember where. Maybe it was also on his back.
    -4 more daggers in his pack.

That was about as far as I could go without breaking my ability to imagine him, and even then he looked ever so slightly silly. But, I had every contingency covered except bludgeoning Reach, and I don't even think there is such a thing... Regardless, I found it to be a very effective weapons loadout, even if I never used the daggers in a fight and only used the Rapier once.
    BY THE GODS WHY DOES THE CROSSBOW HIDDEN IN AN UNSPECIFIED LOCATION EVOKE SUCH TERRIBLE MENTAL IMAGERY.

I really hope you didn't take the Craft Disturbing Image feat.

And yet, it's awesome in its own bizarre, twisted way.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    Go for the Telekinetic Boomerang power in Races of the Wild...
    ...lets each affected weapon return to you between each iterrative attack... meaning for a full round attack, you need only one weapon for each hand.
    I would, but a few reasons I'm not doing it is 1. Psion isn't allowed in the current campaign, and 2. Not sure I could even fit those classes into my current build as I'm already stretching things a little :/

20. - Top - End - #20

I would, but a few reasons I'm not doing it is 1. Psion isn't allowed in the current campaign, and 2. Not sure I could even fit those classes into my current build as I'm already stretching things a little :/
    Perhaps you could try getting your DM to make a "Rebounding" magic weapon ability (or psionic weapon ability if psionic items are not banned)... perhaps a +3 ability to be safe.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

My warforged warblade had two weapons: His executioner's mace and his fist. EDIT: He had a heavy crossbow too, which actually came in useful once, when he was able to use poison recovered from some lizardfolk stashes without fear of poisoning himself.

My other character, an artificer, had a crossbow, a necklace of fireballs, and wand of magic missile.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-07-27 at 12:53 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

22. - Top - End - #22

If you ever get to sling a bundle of 21 wands at your enemy...

21 Wand Salute
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-07-27 at 01:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I generally only have one set of armour on martial characters. But weapons, I like to have something from each of the basic damage types as well as a reach weapon, preferably with bracing. And a dagger.
    You always need a dagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #24

My fighter is up to 13 i believe

1 longsword on side, 2 daggers in boots, 1 hatchet on side, a shortsword on side, 1 great axe on back, 1 longbow on back, 2 metal braced gloved(gauntlets but only the knuckles are metal, spiked shield, a spear that i call from the celestial plane, and 2 throwing daggers, kept on the inside of my spiked shield =)

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

25. - Top - End - #25

I like to try and fit as much as I can on my person. Morningstar is great as it's simple and does piercing and bludgeoning simultaneously. Then my primary weapon, a backup (always a longsword or shortsword, masterwork), 5 mundane daggers about my person, a silver, cold iron and adamantium dagger. That's...11. I'd only have 1 set of armour though, maybe a backup mithral chain.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Armour

Long Coat over armoured vest.

Weapons (Carried)

Colt Manhunter heavy pistol on right hip. (2 spare clips)
    Scorpion machne pistol in shoulder holster left side (2 spare clips)
    Walther holdout pistol in left coat pocket. (8 extra rounds loose in pocket)
    Walther Holdout pistol in quick draw box straped to right wrist. 4 spare shots in box. Linked via datajack to brain.
    Three throwing knives on left wrist.
    Walther PPK light pistol concealed holster, small of back. (no spare ammo)
    Rapier on left hip.
    Diamond coated thorwing spikes (4) desiged as pattern on cowboy boots.
    Combat knife strapped to left leg.
    Monofiliment Whip in secret compartment in figer tip on right hand.

Total 5 guns about 200 rounds of ammo, 3 melee weapons and 7 throwing weapons. I don’t want to get shot for a lack of shooting back.

In Car

CMDT combat shotgun. – 3 clips slugs, 2 clips shot.
    Ingram Smart Gun SMG – 2 clips apds, 1 clip Gel rounds.
    Ranger Arms sniper riffle broken down into non descript breif case. 20 rounds of ammo.

This is Shadowrun not DnD.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Galkin - Erm Milo, wands have 50 charges not 6.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

One. But it always named to sound as menacing as possible.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    One. But it always named to sound as menacing as possible.
    My +2 longsword is the "Elbow to Face" and my +1 whirling Scimitar has a name that translates roughly as "the one that owns you and rubs it in your face immediately afterwards, with too much pain filling in for the dishonor"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    My +2 longsword is the "Elbow to Face" and my +1 whirling Scimitar has a name that translates roughly as "the one that owns you and rubs it in your face immediately afterwards, with too much pain filling in for the dishonor"
    My current character is using a fullblade named "Disease." If she dies, I'll be rolling an Avenger with a weapon named "Nightfall."

My last character had a battleaxe named "King Tiger." Yes, the character's theme was German stereotypes.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

My rogue tends to carry a longsword, a shortsword, four or five daggers, a sap, a shortbow, a crossbow, several flasks of oil (for my bullseye lantern, flinging purposes, or laying traps), a weighted throwing net, a torch, a vial of acid, and any wands/scrolls he's managed to accumulate.

He carries specialized weapons if he knows he'd going into a fight with something specific (like undead or demons).