New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Warforged Components for D&D 4ed

Howdy all,

I'm playing a warforged Warden on my current campaign, and i had some questions regarding warforged components.

1) How does an embedded implement or holy symbol work? I'm assuming it still follows the basic rules of an implements (must be trained in using implements and must be used with a power that has the implement keyword).

2) Does an attached heavy shield suffer a -2 check penalty? According to the manual, you can treat the heavy shield like a light shield with regards to your hand being free and able to hold something (you just can't make a melee attack). However, if thats the case, you would expect skill based actions like climbing to not be affected. But a shield is bigger and larger and would make general athletics more difficult. i dunno I was hoping to get some clarification.

3) Is it possible to have the shoulderbow fire heavy weapons like throwing hammers or javelins? My character is high in strength but low on dex, and heavy weapons use the strength stat for attack and damage rolls.

On a side note: My idea was to have a shield attached to my back that could mechanically slide/transition to my left hand on command. It would still be treated as minor action, since your basically readying an item.
    Last edited by Whexican; 2010-07-27 at 06:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Warforged Components for D&D 4ed

Suggestions? No helpful hints from fellow warforged players?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Drow Long Knife in Eberron Campaign Setting, while exotic, is the only heavy blade, that's a Heavy Thrown Weapon, that is small enough to be used as a retractable throwing weapon.

There are other retractable Heavy Thrown Weapons though- hammer, axe.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

3) 'Shoulderbow' is Crossbow only. Making a similar item that is heavy-thrown only would be slightly stronger (+fits with racial stats, -it's not a superior crossbow) so consider asking your GM if you can research or quest for one. Also having a hammer-gun is hilarious.

2) Embedded Heavy Shields still have -2 ACP

1) Embedded magical implements don't need to be wielded (95% sure about this) but you still need proficiency in them (via class, multiclass or AIP feat)

side-note: readying a heavy shield is normally a standard action and a couple of the other quick-draw type things (gloves of storage) point out how they don't work with shields. Maybe ask for it as a move action instead?
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    1) Embedded magical implements don't need to be wielded (95% sure about this) but you still need proficiency in them (via class, multiclass or AIP feat)
    Unless errata changed things, implements can either be attached to the hand or they can be embedded in the arm (one per arm) like offhand weapons. Staffs can be components, but cannot be used as weapons if they are. Holy symbols can be anywhere, as you need not wield one, just have it visible.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2010-07-28 at 11:21 AM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Drow Long Knife in Eberron Campaign Setting, while exotic, is the only heavy blade, that's a Heavy Thrown Weapon, that is small enough to be used as a retractable throwing weapon.

There are other retractable Heavy Thrown Weapons though- hammer, axe.
    Are you sure about drow blades and hammers and axes being embedded?

According to the Manual:

Weapon: a dagger, shortsword, katar, or hand crossbow can be embedded. Up to five shurikens can be embedded in place of one of these items. a retractable weapon can be embedded to take up space in one arm and hand. such a weapon springs forth and locks into place as a minor action, and it can be retracted as a minor action. it functions normally with the Quick draw feat
    I was under the impression that only dagger, shortsword, katar, or hand crossbow can be embedded,

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

The online version in Dragon had it that way.

But in the Eberron Player's Guide page 113:

Weapon: A one handed weapon that has the off-hand or light thrown property can be embedded. An embedded weapon is retractable, stored in a space within your forearm.
    The Drow Long Knife, Hand Axe, and Throwing Hammer are all off-hand weapons.

Thus, they qualify- they don't need off-hand and light thrown, either will qualify.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The online version in Dragon had it that way.

But in the Eberron Player's Guide page 113:

The Drow Long Knife, Hand Axe, and Throwing Hammer are all off-hand weapons.

Thus, they qualify- they don't need off-hand and light thrown, either will qualify.
    Thats awesome! nice to hear my options are more open.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

ANy idea if warforged suffer a skill check penalty for attached heavy shields?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whexican View Post
    ANy idea if warforged suffer a skill check penalty for attached heavy shields?
    Since it only says it can be treated like a light shield for purposes of having a free hand, unless there is something somewhere else that says there is no penalty (don't remember seeing anything) you get the penalty.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Whexican View Post
    On a side note: My idea was to have a shield attached to my back that could mechanically slide/transition to my left hand on command. It would still be treated as minor action, since your basically readying an item.
    In 3.5 it's a called or calling shield (can't recall which), you just say a commad and it transports into existence from wherever it was to your arm provided you were the last person to wear it. I can't recall what sort of action it counted as and don't know if there is a 4.0 equivalent though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    In 3.5 it's a called or calling shield (can't recall which), you just say a commad and it transports into existence from wherever it was to your arm provided you were the last person to wear it. I can't recall what sort of action it counted as and don't know if there is a 4.0 equivalent though.
    Thanks I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

On a another note, I noticed that off-handed weapons can be embedded, and also that shields can be used as off-handed weapons when bashing.

Do you think its possible to have a light shield as an embedded weapon/item?