New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Warlock balance question

So, I'm looking to do some homebrewing and house ruling with the warlock, so I'm asking the opinion of the Playground here.

If I change Eldritch Blast to be usable as if it were a normal ranged attack (not ranged touch), would it be too strong or too weak to allow for iterative attacks? Should I give iterative attacks on a ranged touch ray?

Secondly, ramping up the damage to 1d6 per caster level (cap of 20d6 at 20th).

Lastly, 1 invocation per level.

Where would this place the warlock tier-wise? Is this just too much?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Warlock balance question

Might make it tier 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3

I approximate my warlock to be tier 3, though I know somebody else did something very similar to what you are proposing. Can't remember the name though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Tier 3 is my goal here. Pump the hit die to a d8 and make Hideous Blow work like it should, allowing for iterative attacks in a round adding eldritch blast damage. At that point Hideous Blow would be Eldritch Glaive.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fix: fully define Hideous Blow/Eldritch Glaive as a creating a separate weapon that you take weapon-like actions with.

I believe that as written you cannot charge/trip/whatever with either, since you specifically take an action to make a melee touch attack.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well mostly I want Eldritch Glaive to go the way of the dodo and fix Hideous Blow so it actually works like it should. That way their eldritch blast charged weapon can still be used for stuff.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe you could change hideous blow to like a free action or something so you arent wasting two turns for one hit? Idk, i dont know enough about warlocks to really say more than that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There's something like this here. No invocations, but it gains access to Spheres instead (and can thus have anything from 54 1/day SLAs to 18 at-will ones).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-29 at 02:35 PM.