New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Cultist Mooks: Warlocks? [3.5]

Gentlemen.

I am in need of cultists, but I am afraid of falling into that old trap. I think most DMs have experienced this: your PCs bust into the antechamber, there are cultists all around, priests of a dark god who wield His devilish might... they grab their holy symbols and... cast Bless and Cure Light Wounds.

You have a crowd of low level spellcaster, and you had to take time to pick out all their spells, and you have to track which spells each one has cast. Did this guy use his Contagion yet? How many Inflict Moderate Wounds has this guy used? Ah f--k it, he attacks with his morning star.

I was thinking I could dodge this bullet by making my cultists warlocks. I only have to pick out a few invocations, and I know they can just use them all day long with nothing to track. Massed Eltritch Blasts should be a credible threat on my party (especially if they focus fire) without being overkill.

Is this premise good?

What invocations should I put on my Foot Soldiers of Asmodeus? What feats should I give them?

I'm thinking they should come in 3 flavors: Initiates (mooks) (level 2 Warlocks), Acolytes (Level 4 warlocks) and Priests (Level 6 warlocks). Maybe I could have a higher level high priest. My party is currently level 5, but I don't want to have to scale up the bad guys every time they level, just change my mix of cogs.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2010-07-29 at 02:54 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cultist Mooks: Warlocks? [3.5]

See the Unseen, Spiderwalk, and Summon Swarm at low levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You can make them the foot soldiers of Mephistopheles and link them to a Hellfire Warlock leader who isn’t there so you could make him a recurring bad guy.
    My Motto: Nunquam Iterum

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I've actually done this heavily before. With a little reflavoring and some diversification (and even some homebrew Warlock invocations from this very forum) you can have a huge variation on the Cultist Mook theme.

Low level Warlocks only have one or two tricks, and because they're mooks, they really only need that many.

I try to mix in some Warlocks with the Eldritch Essence invocations that Shaken or Sicken with some Warlocks that target saving throws, since being Shaken or Sickened gives you a -2 penalty to saves.

I've often re-flavored Summon Swarm as a whirlwind that rends flesh on contact, or a moving zone of disease, etc, if the specific "Bat, Rat, Spider" motif doesn't fit.

Cultists of Asmodeus should probably start off trying to socialize first. The +6 Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate Invocation is good for this, and very Asmodeus-y. They'll try to win the party over; promise them things, etc. Keep in mind there are also some invocations in...Dragon Magic? Dungeonscape? Complete Mage? I think...not sure.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    I'm thinking they should come in 3 flavors: Initiates (mooks) (level 2 Warlocks), Acolytes (Level 4 warlocks) and Priests (Level 6 warlocks). Maybe I could have a higher level high priest. My party is currently level 5, but I don't want to have to scale up the bad guys every time they level, just change my mix of cogs.
    Well, maybe throw a few levels of cleric for the higher level ones (maybe one level for acolytes and two or three for a priest).

This would allow you to use eldritch disciple from Complete Mage while keeping the demonic theme. If they're servnts of asmodeus, give them the Baator Domain from Spell Compendium and trade spontaneous inflict/cure for spontaneous domain spells, or just use the UA variant for spontaneous divine casters.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Sounds like a great idea to me. They'll be able to do respectable damage (not great, but not so much your players ignore it), and have some neat abilities, without being overpowering.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thanks!

I like that they have unlimited touch attacks, so I won't be whiffing all the time in combat with my mooks, too!
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you don't mind, I'm going to promptly steal this idea for another campaign. Warlocks do indeed seem like terrific mooks - pinging reliably for a small amount of damage, a few tricks up their sleeve, and still relatively squishy so that they make a satisfying splat when the barbarian actually reaches them.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

By all means.

I think some of the later wotc stuff meant to give players more options secretly also fixes a lot of DM problems. This for example.

I added a few martial study feats to a team of knights a while back and it made a world of difference.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Slightly off topic, but if you don't want to deal with keeping track of prepared spells, you could try using Favored Souls from Complete Divine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That's true. There's also the spontaneous divine caster variant from unearthed arcana. They can still run out of spells of any given spell level, though, so you have to track how many they've used.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hm, what if I added a couple martial study feats to the higher level ones? Which maneuvers do you think complement warlock?

Could a glavelock use the diamond mind maneuver that makes them flat footed if you pass a concentration check? Ruby something something I think it's called. Then they could attack vs. AC 10. Is there a reason a warlock might really want a single attack to hit?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Flee the Scene is a good one. Your barbarian will say things like "I got him!...damn. I got him!...damn."

Spiderwalk is especially good if it's a large room/cavern and some party members can't fly.

There are some warlocks in the 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. For weeks afterwards, my players grumbled about "those guys with the Silly String" (i.e., eldritch blasts).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    Hm, what if I added a couple martial study feats to the higher level ones? Which maneuvers do you think complement warlock?

Could a glavelock use the diamond mind maneuver that makes them flat footed if you pass a concentration check? Ruby something something I think it's called. Then they could attack vs. AC 10. Is there a reason a warlock might really want a single attack to hit?
    If they've stacked Meta-SLAs and Essences on their Glaive, sure. But for anything more complex than a Swift Action, you'd need to quicken it. (There's a no-preq version of the feat in the Book of Vile Darkness)

One of my favorite tricks is to toss a Piercer Cloak (Magic Item Compendium) on my warlock. Give them Spiderwalk (Or Fell flight), Eldritch Glaive, and Leaps and Bounds. Have them spend a move action to climb (or fly) above their target. Use a free action to drop glaive first on their head, and use Leaps and Bounds to tumble to safety.

An Empowered Maximized Mortalbane Piercer Cloak Boosted Eldritch Glaive requires a turn to setup (Without Quicken), but it can be an unorthodox way of making a seemingly innocuous warlock a lot more dangerous.