New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question How Do You Use MapTool?

I can't seem to figure out any of the controls.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How Do You Use MapTool?

There are video-tutorials on the RPtools site, they do a really good job of explaining it. Let me find a direct link

edit: http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/ start with the ones on the top-left.

It's simple once you try, but hard to explain.
    Last edited by Badgerish; 2010-07-29 at 05:11 PM.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also post directly on their forums; the community over there is very friendly and always willing to help.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

They have some very helpful tutorials

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tutorials

as well as a wiki full of instructions

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Main_Page
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly, you use the mouse. In the upper-left corner, just below the File/Edit/Etc. bar, there'll be 5 icons, one of them blue. These icons look like a pointer, a paintbrush, a sort-of-gear-looking-thing, the letters FOG, and an eye. Next to them, there's a line, then another set of icons, which change depending on which of the first 5 are selected. These icons determine what your main cursor does.

Once you notice those, it really becomes fairly simple, but I'll elaborate further. In all cases, left-clicking does what your tool does, while right-clicking and dragging moves the view window around the map.

The "pointer" icon, when selected, works for "interactions," which mostly means moving tokens around. The first sub-tool, which, again, looks like a pointer, lets you click and drag tokens. The second lets you measure distances. To place a token in MapTool, the easiest way is to first have a suitable token in a folder somewhere, then click it in the folder and simply drag it onto the MapTool window.

The "paintbrush" icon lets you draw things. The various sub-tools control what you draw. This is fairly simple, though it's something of a different interface than most other drawing tools and so can take a bit to get used to.

The "gear-thingy" icon is for drawing in where area-of-effects show up. I've not used it, myself, since I just use MapTool for making battle maps.

The "FOG" icon controls fog-of-war and revealing things. Again, I've not used it, so I'm of little use here.

The "eye" icon does topology. Not really sure what that even means.

Regardless, once you've got the basic, "Oh, those things do things!" thing down, getting at least basic maps going is easy. I hope I was at least a bit helpful...

But yeah, watch or read some of the tutorials. They're really quite helpful.