New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Burrow Speed on the cheap

I'm trying to find a way to get an inexpensive form of burrowing. I'm going to be playing a psion 2/swordsage 2, and the 3600 gp limit is... well, limiting.
    It doesn't have to be fast (even a speed of 5 ft/round would be acceptable). I'm open to any suggestions you have. It is preferable that my character have the burrow speed, as opposed to a summoned creature or mount.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Burrow Speed on the cheap

I'm sure there's something in the MIC to suit your needs. You used the word "cheap", so I assume you mean a magic item of some sort. Otherwise, I'd suggest a variety of races and templates.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

If you can figure out a way to use an Eternal Wand, Alter Self will do it for you (Earth Mephling).

JaronK

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Try to get a magic item of the second level druid\ranger spell, Burrow (SpC).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Plus, with the UMD check, I could just threaten to blow the world up using stonehendge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    From what you described, you were dying.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
    Brendan Gill

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

A shovel ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Did they eat a bowl of Jello menacingly at it? I feel that would give a hefty Intimidate bonus versus GCubes. "OHAI LOOK MR. JELLY CUBE, I EAT YOUR SMALL COUSINS FOR DELICIOUS SNACKS. OM NOM GELATIN."
    How ELSE would defeat a Gelatinous cube

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Look in Sandstorm and Planar Handbook. I know one of them has such a race.

PH should have two. Earth mephling and some sort of half dwarf half badger thingy.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-07-31 at 10:50 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

A badger Hengeyokai has a 10ft burrow speed in hybrid form, and with the 3.5 update to Oriental Adventures, no level adjustment.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by roger123275 View Post
    Try to get a magic item of the second level druid\ranger spell, Burrow (SpC).
    ...and a second one of the 1st level druid spell rapid burrowing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono22 View Post
    I'm trying to find a way to get an inexpensive form of burrowing. I'm going to be playing a psion 2/swordsage 2, and the 3600 gp limit is... well, limiting.
    It doesn't have to be fast (even a speed of 5 ft/round would be acceptable). I'm open to any suggestions you have. It is preferable that my character have the burrow speed, as opposed to a summoned creature or mount.
    Hmmm... tricky. Phylactery of Change (A&EG p. 135, 11200 GP) offers all-day polymorph, but is definitely out of your price range. So you're probably stuck with some kind of summoning item.

I thought Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC, 500-1200 GP) might offer some burrowers, but none of the MM vermin can burrow. Aberrant Sphere (MIC, 2800 GP) can get you a carrion crawler, but they don't burrow either. Oddly enough, neither does an earth elemental (Elemental Gem, DMG, 2250 GP). Bag of Tricks (Rust, 3000 GP) has a 30% chance of summoning a wolverine, but I don't think it leaves behind a usable tunnel.

Your best bet is probably a Bead of Beckoning from a Necklace of the Wild Beast (AE&G p. 135, 2000 GP). This is a one-shot item that allows you to cast summon nature's ally IV, which could get you 1d4+1 dire badgers, and those things are some of the best digging machines in the game.

However, the item description appears to suggest this item can only be used by someone who can cast animal friendship, which doesn't exist in 3.5 anymore. This could mean only druids and rangers can use this item... actually, the text is ambiguous. It says the necklace appears as ordinary jewelry until someone who can cast animal friendship puts it on, but then it doesn't specify what happens after that. I assume the wearer is at least informed that the necklace is magical, or if we're using the strand of prayer beads as a guide, then the magical properties and how to activate them. The text doesn't specify if you must be a druid/ranger to use any of the beads. If druid/ranger is required, a UMD check DC 20 should allow you to emulate the necessary class feature. (If you have trouble hitting this DC, buy a potion of guidance of the avatar for 300 GP, +20 competence bonus on a skill check).