New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Dire Tiger Question.

It says that its claws deal 2d4 points of damage, and that it has the improved natural attack feat...how did it get that number? Shouldn't it be 1d8?
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2010-07-31 at 12:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Dire Tiger Question.

2d4, 1d8, it's not that big of a different. Sure, with 2d4 you'll never get 1, but the odds of rolling 8 are 16 (twice that of 1d8).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    2d4, 1d8, it's not that big of a different. Sure, with 2d4 you'll never get 1, but the odds of rolling 8 are 16 (twice that of 1d8).
    RIght, just wondering where they got it, or when you take improved natural attack can you choose between the two...RAW or RAI.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of creatures have seemingly random numbers that you won't get if you actually generate them strictly by the rules. Presumably this was done in the name of 'balance.' I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    RIght, just wondering where they got it, or when you take improved natural attack can you choose between the two...RAW or RAI.
    Sometimes I think the writers/creators just switch the two out. Look at great swords and great axes:

great sword: 2d6 damage; crit 19-20
    great axe: 1d12 damage; crit x3

Do I want to use a great sword and know I'll have the chance of rolling two dice to do more damage or a great axe and know the odds of getting a higher number are better? Do I want to crit more often or have the potential of doing more damage when I crit?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Sometimes I think the writers/creators just switch the two out. Look at great swords and great axes:

great sword: 2d6 damage; crit 19-20
    great axe: 1d12 damage; crit x3

Do I want to use a great sword and know I'll have the chance of rolling two dice to do more damage or a great axe and know the odds of getting a higher number are better? Do I want to crit more often or have the potential of doing more damage when I crit?
    I think that this was done simply due to Accuracy (something that most people don't think of)

Yes, axes do more damage, but its a brutish way of fighting, whereas swords tend to be more accurate. Granted: both are large, cumbersome weapons, but the Greataxe is more so. If you want to just swing and pray, then Greataxe is your friend (like me ;P), but if you want to be more likely to hit vitals, the Greatsword is more your choice.