Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default System With the Most Realistic Character Creation

What system do you think has the most accurate character generation for real people? I'm inclined to say GURPS, but I've never played rolemaster, and heard that it's pretty good too.

This is not about general goodness, just what system is the best for approximating real people.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: System With the Most Realistic Character Creation

FATAL. HA! Bet you didn't expect that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

3. - Top - End - #3

If normal people have orifices larger than their faces, then yes, I suppose FATAL is accurate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

White Wolf.

This thread is full of examples. That some people are said to overestimate their own abilities doesn't change the fact that the system in itself makes it easy to model humans in a versatile and realistic fashion.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    White Wolf.

This thread is full of examples. That some people are said to overestimate their own abilities doesn't change the fact that the system in itself makes it easy to model humans in a versatile and realistic fashion.
    I don't think so. The system is good for a game, but with only 5 levels of skills, and way too few of them, it's not nearly in depth enough for real life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Paranoia. Srsly.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by unimaginable View Post
    Paranoia. Srsly.
    I've heard people mention it alot, but what is it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    I've heard people mention it alot, but what is it?
    The Computer Is Your Friend.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

define "realistic" character creation.

is a game with realistic character creation one that has dozens of knobs and fiddly bits to tweak or one that allows you to simply portray a character accurately, and if the second then are we talking about accurately portraying a "real" (as in IRL) person or a "real" (as in, a character that is native to the setting) person?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been told Shadowrun, but that's purely hearsay.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Fate/Fudge?
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Twilight 2013. Lifepaths, stats that are broad enough and have a wide enough range to be useful, enough skillpoints to actually represent all of an actual person's skills, and good traits and flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

3rd Edition shadowrun is pretty versatile and capable of modeling real people pretty well. It's definitly the best of the systems I have played in that respect.

I would love to see an example of that game where you can die in character creation. Not saying it's good for this thread, but it IS awesome.
    Last edited by Crow; 2010-07-31 at 06:04 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    define "realistic" character creation.

is a game with realistic character creation one that has dozens of knobs and fiddly bits to tweak or one that allows you to simply portray a character accurately, and if the second then are we talking about accurately portraying a "real" (as in IRL) person or a "real" (as in, a character that is native to the setting) person?
    A real person IRL. How well does the system portray you? I'm talking about not only skills and capabilities, but the accuracy of them. For instance, I think GURPS is one of the best at this because it has a huge list of skills, a realistic synergy between similar ones, advantages instead of some poorly defined stats, and even disadvantages. And there are no silly restrictions on how high a skill can be because of level either. Now, personally I find Character Creation in stuff like D&D and exalted a more fun process in and of itself, but I think GURPS is the most accurate and realistic system I've seen.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-07-31 at 06:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Old-school Traveller. What life gives you is largely random, you get too old before you know it, and you can get killed at any time!

I think "Realism" in RPGs isn't worth pursuing. "Verisimilitude" _might_ be.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I would love to see an example of that game where you can die in character creation. Not saying it's good for this thread, but it IS awesome.
    Traveler is the famous one. You *can* die in character creation in some other systems, but it's usually a lot less likely to happen than in Traveler. For example, in Twilight 2013 you can die in character creation, but unless you're trying to make a 100-year-old Delta Force operative it's extremely unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If I've learned anything from reading books and watching television, it's that many different people have many different understandings of what a "real" person is.

The question, as you've asked it, is impossible to answer.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    If I've learned anything from reading books and watching television, it's that many different people have many different understandings of what a "real" person is.

The question, as you've asked it, is impossible to answer.
    I'm not sure I understand. Take anyone you know. See how accurately you can stat them in your system.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

What system do you think has the most accurate character generation for real people? I'm inclined to say GURPS, but I've never played rolemaster, and heard that it's pretty good too.

This is not about general goodness, just what system is the best for approximating real people.
    The question is a bit vague - can you specify what you mean by "real people" ? Should they feel real? Have realistic abilities? Have realistic histories? Have realistic explanations for where their skills and abilities come from?

Do you mean real, as in of the real world, or do you mean sense of verisimilitude?

Without specifics, I say GURPS, Twilight 2013, Unisystem, Call of Cthulhu, and Cyberpunk 2020, in pretty much that order. And it's really close with GURPS and Twilight 2013 - I'd say GURPS only wins by dint of fiddly bits, and that's only if you value fiddly bits over having explanations for where you learned what you know, since TW2013 has a lifepath system. I love me some lifepath systems. (My Final Year is so going to be Urban Warfare. Damn the rads, I want 2+ equipment dice and Cognition-based skill points!)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I've found that the Silhouette System, By Dream Pod 9, is actually pretty accurate. While it does have only 5 levels of skills, each of those skills have 5 levels of complexity as well. So if you have Pilot 3/1, You are really good at a propeller plane, but not very good at all at a jet plane.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    But TVtropes is not. I just spent two hours on that site because you mentioned it on another thread. You need to stop doing things like that.

And, FTR, my WIP custom non-d20 game system will model anyone "realistically", from an infant human to the god of all creation, & anything in-between. It's that good.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-07-31 at 11:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I use creating really people as a sort of benchmarking for the potential of RPG systems due to the complexity and comparative low power of most people.

Well, Gurps is the best, as usual. Is that any surprise? Hero is probably similar in its options. Unisystem works well, as does the WoD (both original an ripp-of version). Unknown Armies should be mentioned, especially when it comes to the modeling of personalities and psychological stress. Awesome system by the way.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

See my signature for my opinion.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

LARP.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    LARP.
    Oh, touche. (if only I could make one of those little apostrophe e things)

26. - Top - End - #26

(if only I could make one of those little apostrophe e things)
    Here you go
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

What, no vote for MouseGuard here? Or would that be Burning Wheel?
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-08-01 at 12:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    But TVtropes is not. I just spent two hours on that site because you mentioned it on another thread. You need to stop doing things like that.
    TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life

Hmm I'm going with MAID is the very most accurate system for representing people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Wuthering Heights. We are all troubled people with rage and despair held in check only by society's crushing grasp. We are plagued with problems that seem arbitrarily selected from a chart. Woe is me, for true happiness is forever out of reach.

30. - Top - End - #30

World of Darkness is one of my favorites, and I've had no problems portraying realistic people. Or at least, I haven't had trouble considering the characters created as realistic. The limit on five ranks in a skill doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, at least until you have someone who has five ranks in nearly everything (but any character system, taken to extremes, becomes unrealistic).

FUDGE/FATE is pretty good in its simplicity. The GM decides the appropriate stats, decides the level of difficulty, and the player is free to make their character as they see fit. It's also just as easy to make a non-realistic character, though.

Burning Wheel seems to fit what you are looking for. Character creation is dealt with by Lifepaths, where you follow the character through their life, and the skills they have available from the start are determined by the Lifepaths they take. Skills are leveled up through use, with higher rank skills requiring more challanging situations to gain levels.