New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: TWF Question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default TWF Question

I am not sure if I have the TWF rules right when I do this. Currently if I move, then I can only attack with my MH at my highest BAB, and do not get the OH attack unless I can full attack. Is this correct, or should I, as a standard action, attack with MH and OH at full BAB-2? If I am doing it right, does anyone know of a way I could attack with MH and OH after a move? I dont even care if it is a full attack, just one "round" (MH, OH) would suffice for me. I know about Belt of Battle, and Pounce, but are there any other ways?
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: TWF Question

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I am not sure if I have the TWF rules right when I do this. Currently if I move, then I can only attack with my MH at my highest BAB, and do not get the OH attack unless I can full attack. Is this correct, or should I, as a standard action, attack with MH and OH at full BAB-2? If I am doing it right, does anyone know of a way I could attack with MH and OH after a move? I dont even care if it is a full attack, just one "round" (MH, OH) would suffice for me. I know about Belt of Battle, and Pounce, but are there any other ways?
    You are correct, you can only attack with your MH unless you are full attacking. I believe there is a thread on how to get move and full attack somewhere around here, I'll let our more experienced playgrounders dig it up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

There is a feat (in Players Handbook 2 maybe?) that lets you use both weapons as a standard action. I think the feat is called Dual Strike, or something like that. You roll a single attack roll but you deal the damage from both your weapons. Also I think there's a penalty on the attack.

But yes, normally if you want to have more than 1 attack you need to use a Full Attack action. Although when making a single attack you can use either weapon; you're not limited to the one that is usually in your "main" hand.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-08-01 at 09:03 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    There is a feat (in Players Handbook 2 maybe?) that lets you use both weapons as a standard action. I think the feat is called Dual Strike, or something like that. You roll a single attack roll but you deal the damage from both your weapons. Also I think there's a penalty on the attack.
    It's in one of the Complete books. Either 'Adventurer or 'Warrior.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    It's in one of the Complete books. Either 'Adventurer or 'Warrior.
    But this feat sucks. Hard.
    You don't get any bonus damage on the off-hand attack. Bonus damage is what makes TWF work.
    I'd consider Double Hit from Miniatures Handbook, though - two attacks on an AoO.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-08-01 at 11:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There's a pretty large number of ways to get movement as a Swift action; if you want to go feat based, you can get Travel Devotion (Move as a Swift action 1/day for 1 minute, or basically 1 encounter; more uses are gained by Turn Undead uses) or spend a couple of Martial Study feats to get the Sudden Leap maneuver from Tiger Claw, which lets you make a Swift Jump check. Both are easier to do or greatly enhanced by a level dip (Cleric and Warblade, respectively) however, so you may as well just get the Barbarian dip for proper Pounce.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The maneuver Wolf Fang Strike from Tome of Battle is a Lv1, no-prerequisite remedy for attacking with two weapons as a standard action. (It is, however, just one hit from each weapon at a -2 penalty, overwriting the default TWF penalty.)

EDIT: No prerequisites apart from having Tome of Battle allowed in your games, of course.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-08-01 at 08:11 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In the PHB2 there is a feat called Two-weapon Pounce I think, where you get to make an attack with both weapons at the end of a charge, at a -2 penalty to both attacks of course. Full bonus damage and whatnot to both attacks.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2010-08-01 at 08:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It should not come as a surprise to anyone, but Person_Man has a list of Ways to get pounce or free movement.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I need a list of the things Person_Man DOESN'T have lists of.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

• Ways to make sandwiches
    • The Kings of Egypt
    • Genealogy of the Bible
    • Medal of Honor winners
    • Victoria Cross recipients
    • Attendance roster of the 1923 COMINTERN
    • Means of turning base metals into gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Levels
    The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, looks like 2 weapon pounce is the way to go, for what I want it for. I was considering either a lion totem barbarian dip, or the dual strike feat, but i like the TWP feat better. Im just looking for a way to apply my free trip from the feat high sword low axe on the first round of combat,after i have moved in to engage the enemy. this would be perfect, charge in, hit with both, trip, and not worry about the -2 to AC overly much since the enemy is on his ass :)
    Last edited by bartman; 2010-08-01 at 10:50 PM.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    • Ways to make sandwiches
    • The Kings of Egypt
    • Genealogy of the Bible
    • Medal of Honor winners
    • Victoria Cross recipients
    • Attendance roster of the 1923 COMINTERN
    • Means of turning base metals into gold
    I couldn't believe he had a list of former airline pilots named George, but I did a search, and there it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?