New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question [3.5] Build advice: Trickster mage... as a Sorcerer

Intelligence is pretty much the best casting stat, right? You get more skill points every level, instead of a flat bonus to some skills and your Will save or... a flat bonus to some skills. If you wanted to play an Arcane Trickster or an Unseen Seer you'd definitely want to grab more skill points while avoiding MAD by picking a casting class based on Intelligence, a Wizard or possibly a Beguiler.

Still, I'm wondering: could a person make a skillful sneaky character out of a Sorcerer? Could they be as good as an INT-based caster? Which spells are useful enough to be worth spending a precious Spells Known slot on?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Build advice: Trickster mage... as a Sorcerer

If I'd wanted a skilled sorcerer so badly, I'd probably pick up Nymph's Kiss feat, be a human and have, like, 12-14 int, that should cover everything needed.
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-08-01 at 11:48 AM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

That requires exalted good though, and that can be a damper for the best anti NPC pranks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    Could they be as good as an INT-based caster?
    They can never be as good, obviously, but they can come close. I'd like to point out this is an excellent use for Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    They can never be as good, obviously, but they can come close. I'd like to point out this is an excellent use for Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds.
    They're old, egotistical and angry!
    BEEP.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If I'd wanted a skilled sorcerer so badly, I'd probably pick up Nymph's Kiss feat, be a human and have, like, 12-14 int, that should cover everything needed.
    That's a good one. It'd give you the equivalent of an 18 for INT, and you can never have too many skill points. Mutually exclusive with the next suggestion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That's the one with no penalties for aging and the web enhancement that gets you a level of caster progression back, right? So you could be a Rogue1/Sorcerer4/UnseenSeer without losing any caster progression? (Assuming you have a way round the cross class skill requirements, such as that Chaotic Mind feat from Dragon magazine.)

I wonder how important charisma is for this sort of caster. You'd probably be using spells that require attack rolls instead of saves to take advantage of your sneak attack.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

That's the one with no penalties for aging and the web enhancement that gets you a level of caster progression back, right? So you could be a Rogue1/Sorcerer4/UnseenSeer without losing any caster progression? (Assuming you have a way round the cross class skill requirements, such as that Chaotic Mind feat from Dragon magazine.)
    Yes. You can also go a bit further with Loredrake & al. but I suggest against that.

I wonder how important charisma is for this sort of caster. You'd probably be using spells that require attack rolls instead of saves to take advantage of your sneak attack.
    Many of the skills you're interested in depend on Cha. Also, you're locking out a large section of spells like Charm Person/Dominate Person/Glitterdust/etc. that can be very, very powerful and sometimes, especially early on, you may need to take a more traditional controller role as you don't invest enough in the Rogue-stuff to be a good pure Rogue yet, and the spells are more potent anyways.

Oh, and bonus slots never hurt anyone. In short, yes, you could be a good Sorc with less Cha but Cha vastly increases your options including the one thing you get over Wizards (spells with Cha-checks).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.