New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Slaughterguard/Underdark Campaign Help {3.5}

Since my old group is against the "End of the World" Campaign, I actually had to turn through campaign ideas.

Therefore, I decided to turn to classics: Slaughterguard and Underdark hybrid. I plan on using Drow as the main antagonists. Basically, I want the campaign to center around stopping a Drow Priestess from summoning an Avatar of Lolth to destroy the surface.

I'm planning on focusing my book scheme around the Underdark and Drow-Themed books (such as Plot and Poison, a Green Ronin 3rd party source book, and Drow of the Underdark) for monster setup, as well as adding the Scorrow from Secrets of Xen'Drik

Race-Wise, I want the players to use unique ideas, so I'm giving everyone a free 1LA (praying to God that the players won't abuse them) so the players are more unique critters.

Class-Wise, I want the players to feel free to test out new classes, so I want the group, and highly suggest/encourage oddities, variants, ect. I also plan on adding some KoK, Eberron, ect. classes that players could choose from. I'm also planning on designing a new Psionics system akin to the Spellcasting system so my players, who are all new to Psionics, can jump into it.

The players will start at lv1, since its a fresh and semi-new idea; it's new to my players...

4 things that I have to ask though:

1. What sorts of monster encounters should I do, since I like either mobs or complex encounters with one or two monsters and a environmental hazard.

2. Is the free 1LA too much to give my players, since they are normally used to a Core Only campaign?

3. Can somebody help me balance my new Psionics system??? I know what I want to do, but balancing it is a royal pain.

4. How do I encourage my players to play outside of their comfort zone?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Slaughterguard/Underdark Campaign Help {3.5}

Anyone good at Underdark Campaigns?

3. - Top - End - #3

Anybody????????????????

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    4. How do I encourage my players to play outside of their comfort zone?
    4. Ask what the players want their characters to be able to do, and then find a way to do that with mechanics that they don't normally use. If there's a player that likes Fighters, explain to the player how the Warblade works. If there's a player that likes duplicitous sorcerers, show 'em the Beguiler. Paladin fanatic? Knight and/or Crusader.

Sounds like you know your players, so just find non-core classes that do what the players want to do.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by unnamedhero View Post
    4. Ask what the players want their characters to be able to do, and then find a way to do that with mechanics that they don't normally use. If there's a player that likes Fighters, explain to the player how the Warblade works. If there's a player that likes duplicitous sorcerers, show 'em the Beguiler. Paladin fanatic? Knight and/or Crusader.

Sounds like you know your players, so just find non-core classes that do what the players want to do.
    I have a player who uses Elf melee Ranger, a player who uses a Ratling Ninja or Drow Sorcerer, a female player who uses an Elf archery ranger, a player who is a Human Cleric, and a player who uses a Warforged Monk