New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ashmoor, A City in Turmoil [IC]

Five people, of differing background and heritage. None have met, and in a normal life they never would have. But fate is a fickle thing, it cares little for race or background. Would these five be the saviors of this city, or would they be the harbingers of its destruction? Or maybe, they are destined to only play a small roll, one that tips the balance by the edge of a knife. Only fate knows, and its not telling.

Two days ago, each of you was going about your lives as best you could. However each of you on that day received a visit from a messenger (or something similar) requesting your appearance in the palace. The reasons for your choosing to answer the summon varied, but all of you did and now you find yourselves face to face with four people you've never met.

As you arrived each was checked against a list to insure you were allowed inside, and then taken to a small conference room to wait for the others. A long table surrounded by ten chairs was the only furniture or otherwise defining feature in the room. The typical palace make of marble inlaid with gold and silver was all the decoration the room had. When the last of you arrived, it was suggested you make a quick introduction and that another aide would be with you shortly to take you to the proper place.

Your Visit

Ghoster
    Spoiler
    Show

The man approached you in plain site as you sat in the pub eating your lunch. He clearly know who he was looking for, an oddity considering your status. The human, dressed in the common attire of the slums where you were at, sat down across from you and said, "Finding you hasn't been easy, Artemus. You have been called to the palace to join a small group that will be working for one of the kings advisers. Your compliance is mandatory. You should remember that there are those that know of your past and many that would rather see you dead for leaving it behind. This is your only hope of avoiding that fate." Handing you a slip of paper with directions, he left.

Stergo
    Spoiler
    Show

Your contact with the Eagle's Talon approached you two days ago with surprising news, your contract had been purchased indefinitely. In two days time you were required to report to the palace were you would join the other members of your new team. Additionally, the purchaser wanted this message passed on, "Though some may be lax in their investigations, others are not. We know what you did and why you flee. Failure to fulfill your new contract with us will lead to this news being released and the consequences of your actions will lead to death."

Aron
    Spoiler
    Show

The thieves guild had sold you out, it was the only explanation. Tasked with a simple burglary, two dozen thugs descended on you as soon as you entered the house. You awoke in a cold cell, your head still throbbing from the knock out blow delivered to it. For a day and half you sat there, only bothered when they came to deliver your meals. Then, on the second day, a man came to visit. He was dressed in fine clothes that marked him as a court official. He offered you a deal, join a group working under a King's adviser or face execution. The choice wasn't difficult, and once you agreed he lead you out of the jail and straight to the palace district.

Quinn
    Spoiler
    Show

She'd arranged to met with a merchant about setting up a contract for supplying goods. Instead of the merchant, she was met with a courier from the palace. He informed her that an interested party had heard of his arrival in the city and was interested in employing him on a special assignment. The party had heard of his mother and was interested to see if the son lived up to her exploits. Of course, if he should refuse this offer then it would be unfortunate if the city guard was alerted to a changeling being loss and happened to employ the full might of the mages guild to track him down and destroy him. He was expected at the palace in two days. The man quickly left, ignoring any pleas or questions.

Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-10-26 at 03:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Ashmoor, A City in Turmoil [IC]

Ialen
    Being the first to arrive, the smiling cleric approach the table.
    "So I have to wait.", says the Cleric out loud.
    This young cleric name is Ialen Joyal. His face is used and tanned from too many sun burns and his hands are rough, like the one an old farmer would have. His black hair already have some hint of white. If you take a closer look, he cannot be as old as he looks, his eyes have the hint of yought and the way he moves and his physical shape in general shows the health of someone young.
    An introcution to whom... I guess more will come beside Sir Cavan, think Ialen.

Ialen take a seat and patiently wait for someone to show up.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-08-01 at 08:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As the visitor takes a seat, Ghoster fixes him with a cold glare, gaze rife with unconcealed suspicion. The misgiving in his eyes only compounds when his accoster speaks, revealing far more than the leery marksman should ever tolerate a man to know. As he looks to the paper and his thoughts begin to cohere, the elf turns back, lips parting in the formation of a pointed query, but the mysterious stranger is already on his way. With a subdued grimace, he quickly finishes the remainder of his meal and diverts his attention back towards the slip; it isn't long before the rogue comes to a decision. Rising from his chair with halting reluctance, Ghoster stalks out of the tavern.

Ghoster regards the assembly with a notably dour grimace as he enters, a pair of sharp verdant eyes betraying obvious displeasure; it is obvious to even the most casual onlooker that he is clearly not happy to be here. His appearance is rugged, thoroughly bedecked in camouflage and all manners of utilitarian hardware, with a face unusually masculine for one of his kind. A huge crossbow is draped over his left shoulder, portions of the weapon's surface oddly coated with a light sheen of frost. Isolating himself in a corner, the elf stands, back against the wall, his posture alert, casting a wary gaze that slowly pans about the room as if locked in a careful search for some unseen threat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stergo

Stergo's pulse quickened at the summons he received. They can't possibly know. No one knew. I've made sure of it... But the summons says they did know. He had no choice.

Dressing in his most concealing cloak, Stergo slips his bulky frame through the palace to the waiting room. Keeping the hood up and covering his head and the arms of his robes covering his scaled hands, Stergo does his best not to be recognized for who and what he is. He doesn't plan on being here long, and introductions would just prove to complicate matters.
    Avatar by Dire Human! Thanks, dude!!
    Playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None yet!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    As stergo enter the room, Ialen raise and take 2 steps toward the cloaked form. Apparently ignoring the man attemp to be discret, Ialen jovialy says offering an hand to handshake,
    "Well met, I am Ialen Joyal, servant of Pelor."
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-08-01 at 09:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Honor of thieves... bah! All this time he had wasted at their petty tasks, hoping they would help him. He should have known better, and maybe he had but it was not like he had many options to begin with. And now he had even less of an option. It was not a tough decision, however. And perhaps this would actually afford him a better chance at his goal than he ever had with the thieves and among the outcasts. The palace? Whoever had offered him this way out was high up, had real influence no doubt. Yes. This was an opportunity Aaron did not intend to squander. If he performed well at whatever was expected of him, perhaps he would even be allowed to walk free and no longer live as an outcast. He didn't quite trust in such generosity, but it was not impossible... was it?

And so Aaron entered the room to which he was led by the stranger. His young face, slightly dirtier than usual from his time in prison, bearing an expression of calm and guarded attention as he gazed around the room. He looked like any human boy from the slums about the age of fifteen, but seemed unusually calm and there was a distinct charm about him - perhaps it was his bright, attentive eyes and friendly smile, or maybe it was something more. The others were probably in much the same situation he was... drafted into the unknown with little choice, no doubt. Some of them, anyway, Aaron mused to himself as he smiled politely at those present "Well met". He didn't want to get off on the wrong foot, so said no more, awaiting a better sense of the situation and the people around him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

And just like that the man that found Quinn and delivered the request was gone. Now Quinn, with a dumbfounded look on his face, brushed back his blond hair and thought Well that didn't take long. It's as if they knew I was coming. I guess I shouldn't keep them waiting.

Having been in the city for a day or so he quickly finds a route to the palace. He announces himself to the guards and is shown the way to where the gathering is taking place. His outward appearance makes him look awestruck at the magnificence of the palace... not unlike a tourist. Internally though he is mentally keeping track of the twists, turns, doors, and guards seen while being led. Occasionally he gives a chipper "Good Day" to the people he passes by.

Finally he enters the meeting room. Not really knowing the nature of the call but knowing that some of his most prized secrets are known he gives the room a quick scan. He sees the various other adventurers gathered around the table in the sparse room. Do they know his secrets too or had they gotten a call also. Hmmm. I must remain calm and friendly. Let's see how this plays out.

With a broad grin Quinn looks from one side of the room to the other and says "Well. This is quite an interesting bunch we have here. The name's Quinn. Anyone know why we are here?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    Seing Aaron and Quinn come in, Ialen salute them,
    "Wel met to both of you. I am Ialen Joyal, nice to meet you. To be honest I dont know much either about the reasons we are here, but it must be important, considering who is summoning us."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron nods at Ialen and Quinn "Aaron's my name. Sad to say I have no more knowledge of what to expect, but indeed it is not every day you get a summon such as this."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    "Yeah, this would have been hard to simply ignore."
    You can feel from Ialen tone that he is curious, but not too pleased to be here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Affas enters confidently, His green boots moving softly on the floor, This Elf is dressed in simple cloth of Autumn colours, over which he wears a set of scalemail, sword and shield that gleams as if recently polished (no seriously the shield does seem to shine with light).
    Seeing lots have already arrived waits just a moment for a gap in the chatter, he address the room
    "Hello Friends, Answering the same call as me? Such a strange group for what could it be? But I guess we'll soon find out the mystery"
    Last edited by Grogmir; 2010-08-02 at 08:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stergo

Stergo stands and ignores the approaching cleric, until he mentions his deity, that is. Relaxing slightly Stergo reaches up and lowers the cowl from his head, exposing his golden scaly snout and the long gold tendrils that hang from his head to his shoulders, much like dreadlocks. A large, beaded and feathered earring hangs from the right side of his face to his shoulder. Smiling slightly in his draconic way, he sighs softly, extending his hand. "My name is Stergo. It is good to see a priest of the platinum dragon here. It puts me a little more at ease," he says in his gravelly voice.

Joining in the conversation, Stergo comments, I'm sure we're all equally compelled to be here. But I want to know why, and soon."
    Playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None yet!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    Turning his attention to the elf, Ialen greet him.
    "Well met Sir elf, I am Ialen Joyal. Are you all from Ashmoor?", says Ialen, trying to instigate some discussion to get a feel of everyone personnality.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    Smiling warmly at Stergo, Ialen reply,
    "Nice ot meet you Stergo. You mix Bahamut with Pelor my friend. But fear not, Pelor and Bahamut are in good terms, their specific views might differ, but their main ideas remains similar."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"I am from Ashmoor, yes" Aaron replies simply, while apparently listening intently to everyone.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stergo

Slightly abashed at his misnomer, Stergo drops his gaze. "This entire business has me all turned around." Growing more anxious Stergo lashes out angrily to cover his embarrassment. "What could the members of the court possibly want with us?! It's not fair to just shanghai people like this!" Realizing his outburst, and that his temper is starting to crack into his attempts to keep his reasons secretive, Stergo quickly clamps his mouth shut. He's still seething slightly beneath his robes though.
    Playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None yet!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"I'm Affas, new to town, from the Forest kingdom of Maltaur, what do we have here? A preist of Pelor, a mighty dragonborn and another Elf and more besides! Well met all, Well met, this is a exciting occasion, makes one want to sing" He looks around for encouragment - finding none he proceeds to sing an elven tune under his breath.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Stergo's sudden outburst draws the standing elf's attentions, his sentiment apparently agreed upon by at least one other as his words are met with a terse nod. Though a little confused by the exact meaning of 'shanghai', Ghoster certainly seems to concur with the general implication of the man's words.

As the moments draw on, the camo-clad elf seems unable to find whatever it was he was looking for, his tense stance relaxing ever so slightly, settling into more of a comfortable lean. His eyes then carefully look over each of the assembled, as if trying to gather a sense of each, and their reason for being here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    At Stergo outburst, Ialen note out loud putting his hand on the dragonborn shoulder, with a calming voice,
    "They sure do like to make us wait, but getting mad wont change anything."
    Turning his attention to Affas.
    "I am not very good at singing myself, I usually make the dogs howl!
    So you are from Maltaur? I travelled quite a bit myself, but I have never had the chance to visit that kingdom yet. Anything of interest to see there for a Pelorian priest like me? "

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"I agree Ialen, no need to get angry, Tis only a triffle minute or so. Maltaur is a fine country" Seems to take a breath as if lost far away "And you will find many a pretty thing there - we honour all that is skilled and takes time to create, Tell me with what talent has Corellon bless you all?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stergo

Who knows who could be working for the city guard? Or that blasted mage's guild. If I registered, they'd know what it was I was capable of... couldn't have that. But it seems like someone knows... NO! No one knows... and I'm going to be sure it stays that way.

Lost in his train of thought, Stergo jumps at the mention of talents. "No talents here. Just a real need to get back to my miserable existence in the Outcast. Though I'm sure none of you have ever been there," he grumbles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff:(1d20+12)[32] Edit: Good Luck beating that... crit on a bluff. wow...

If you roll higher, check the below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's lying about "talents"
    Last edited by HeroComplex; 2010-08-02 at 10:25 AM.
    Playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None yet!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"I am from among the outcasts, myself" interjects Aaron at Stergo's last comment "I wonder why they would summon two outcasts to the palace. Not how they usually treat us"

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaron couldn't even beat that bluff on a critical himself... short 2 points on Insight for that
    Last edited by Deadly; 2010-08-02 at 11:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Ghoster merely shrugs at Affas' question, though the unusually sized crossbow on his back and pragmatic martial garb clearly belie this response.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    Ialen shrug at Affas,
    "No offence meant Affas, but I dont think I recieved my talents from any god, not even the one I serve. The skill I have, I trained them.
    But to answer your question, I am good with people. If I use my mentor words, I "neglected my priest martial trainings". You see, I decided long ago that I would help others. There is enough people causing pain and I decided to try not be one of these people. I took a vow to refrain as much as possible to hurt others, at least directly and most certainly when unnecessary. Instead, I cure and heal people who need it, be it my friend or my worst enemy."

Seing the look on Affas face, Ialen put on a disarming smile and add,
    "Of course, I am no fool. I know that violence cannot always be prevented. I did participate in combat before, even though it always pains me to do so.
    And healing enemies is for when they are knocked out and my allies are safe."

When Stergo and Aaron mention coming from the Outcast
    I am nobody, but still...what does the king advisor could want with people from the Outcast...wonders Ialen.
    "I have indeed beenin the Outcast before, many people need help and healing skills and few priest actually dare to go there."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stergo

Stergo rolls his eyes at the rhyming Affas. A wonder if he's ever gone a day without food. Much less a month... then we'll see if he feel like singing. "You might want to keep it down about that "mighty" dragonborn stuff. It's a good way to offend the wrong types of people. You're not from around here are you, elf?"

As time passes, Stergo begins to calm down. The anger within him dying away. "They called two Outcasts to their aid? I can't imagine why any of the highbornes would risk associating with us."

Speaking to Ialen, he says, "That's kind of you, priest. But visiting the Outcasts to do your charity is far from the same as surviving them." His tone is cynical, if not offensive.
    Playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None yet!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ialen
    Taking no offense at Stergo words, Ialen nods,
    "Your right friend, we all have different life experiences. Good or bad, it makes us who we are."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Being new in town Quinn decided to stay out of the conversation. It seems the outcast district in Ashmoor runs about the same as in Thanis. Instead trying to change the subject he says to no one in particular:
    "It seems our group is indeed diverse and we all share the same curiosity as to why we have been called. In my own case I had just arrived in town from Thanis. My father is a merchant there and I was supposed to meet a contact at the local Merchant's guild about a contract. You all can indeed imagine my surprise when I met the courier. I had never even been to Ashmoor before and if my father had known about a meeting here at the palace he surely would have informed me before I left."

Patience, Quinn thinks to himself, Surely we will find out soon what this is all about.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Ghoster keeps an alert vigil in spite of his wall-hugging slouch, eyes transfixed on the entrance as he patiently awaits the aide, deciding that it would be better to receive an explanation than deduce one.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ialen, well met, your stance seems very right to me, open and welcoming our the forest of Maltaur our priests are our your mind and they bring peace over many leagues. I... Affas clasps his sword handle.. "On the otherhand seem to have one skill and I like you have to train that everyday and that pleases Corellon."

Turning to Stego, "I mean't no offence gran... ah. My dragonborn... ah.. colleague. I have learn't much from your folk and they bring lots that is prized into our lands."

Affas realises his talk is not overly welcome, and picks up on the seriousness of the word 'outcasts'. He settles himself to looking at the ceiling and walls, unknowingly whistling a tune quietly under his breath.
    Last edited by Grogmir; 2010-08-02 at 03:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just then the door opens and in walks a fair looking human. Her cloths mark her as an aide, the dark red and gold designs of those that serve the kings advisers. "Thank you for your patience, please come with me." she says with a smile. You are lead down into the west wing of the palace were it appears many of the government and court officials have their offices. From the main hallway you take a turn down a much less traveled corridor that leads into a courtyard garden. Your destination is an office that looks out over the garden. The aide holds the door open for you and ushers you into the secretaries office. The room is small, barely large enough for the desk and two chairs because of the bookshelves crammed into the corner and along the wall. "Please head on in," she says gesturing at the door along the back wall. "You are expected." Her task done she resumes her spot behind the desk.

The room you enter is rather odd for someone who claims to be so important. The left wall is covered in a giant map that shows the continent in detail, with a close up of Ashmoor drawn in as well. The rest of the walls are bookshelves, stuffed from floor to ceiling with parchment, books, and scrolls. The only natural light comes from a skylight directly over the massive desk, pilled high with various documents, that dominates the room. A man in his late thirties looks up from his work, his mouth set in a grim line. His rich crimson cloak is offset by black, the robe of a kings adviser. "I'd stand but quiet frankly I don't have the time or patience. Let me be brief." he begins, his voice matter of fact and indifferent that you have arrived. "I'm sure all of you have been wondering why I've called you here today, your diverse backgrounds leaving little in common. Well the answer is simple, each of you, with the exception of Affas, has some dark secret in your past you've done your best to hide. I know all of them, it is my business. But that answers why you have come, not why I've called you. You see, this city is in turmoil. The outcast district is nearly in a state of open revolt, the guilds are practically just waiting for the chance to tear themselves apart, and that's just the things that the common people can see. I need experienced people, and each of you fit that bill. Your pasts give me the edge I need to insure your cooperation, and I gain six skilled agents. Now the reason I've called you is to investigate illegal shipping of magical items in the outcast district. My agents have been unable to come up with anything, but they have a few leads as to were to begin. Those from the outcast district should be familiar with the Church of the Forsaken, they are the only group in there that cares for the general population. For those that aren't, they give food, medicine, and shelter to all that aren't affiliated with the gangs. Without them, thousands would die each month. However, it seems at least part of the church is participating in this illegal magic trade. I need you to figure out if this is true, and if so put an end to it. You'll be allowed into the district, and once in make your way to the Bronze mug. Stergo should know where it is, you drink there often enough. Look for a half-elf by the name of Niemer, he's been informed that you will be coming and to assist you. Now, I realize this is a lot of information, are there any questions?"
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self