Default Balance help please: spell level

Planar Slip
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level:Clr X, Wiz/Sor Y, Rgr Z(?)
    Components: V,S,F
    Range: Personal
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Casting Time: 1 standard action

With a gesture and a few quick words, you make single step, leaving one reality and entering another.

This spell moves the caster from his current plane to the corresponding spot on any Coexistant Plane (such as from the material to the ethereal) or, if he is in a spot where they touch, a Coterminous Plane (such as the plane of shadow).

So, which level does this spell belong on, and is the wording in any way unclear or ambiguous? I'm thinking somewhere around level 5 or 6, since it's clearly not as good as planeshift. Compared to ethereal jaunt, it allows to stay indefinitely, but does not in itself provide a way to move back. However, it also allows crossing over into any number of planes.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Balance help please: spell level

Not less than level 6. While it's inferior to plane shift in that it allows you to travel to only a limited set of planes and only to one point on each plane, it's superior in that your arrival is accurate and you need not have been to that point on that plane before to arrive accurately. Even greater plane shift requires you to have been there before in order to shift accurately.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

On the other hand, you actually need to find the corresponding point on the coterminous plane, which isn't always that easy.
    Want to get to the sanctum sanctorum of hierophant Pius' ethereal fortress-chapel? It's corresponding point is that volcano over there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

True. Planar travel is a major game-changer that radically reshapes what characters can do. This spell, for example, allows you to just arbitrarily leave any threatening situation or deathtrap. As a verbal-only spell, it can even be used while grappled.

Hmm, I had actually glossed over the personal range though. If you can't take others along, it is useless for party transport. On that basis I could see it at level 5, comparable to teleport (less general utility, but still offering a unique capability).
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-08-05 at 05:44 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think jiriku advice is pretty accurate. It's certainly a game changing spell so 5th level is the lowest possible level. My biggest problem with the spell is that it's so DM dependent. They have complete control over where you end up (see earlier volcano example).

My vote: Cleric 5, Wizard 6

And this spell clearly doesn't belong on the Ranger spell list.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, it basically sends you ethereal, except with the possibility of going to other ethereal-like places, then makes you cast it again to get back?

Fifth or sixth, sure, around where they put Ethereal Jaunt. To me it doesn't seem as good as that one, but it might be better in some circumstances (and, of course, it is a planar travel spell).
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

7. - Top - End - #7

It was pretty much intended as a standard travel spell... it brings you from the border ethereal to the deep ethereal and from there to the elemental planes... yes, planeshift would be quicker, but this is cheaper.
    I think I'll put it down as level 5, for now.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

PirateGuy

in staying with the tradition of clerics being better than sorc/wiz at planar stuff, I'd make it one level higher for sor/wiz.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I'd take plane shift - 1 level. So cleric 4, wizard 6. Maybe cleric 5.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I can't help with balance, but the spell doesn't make clear what happens if you attempt to travel to a coterminous plane that isn't connected to where you are. Spell does nothing? Spell doesn't get expended? Something squishy?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Clr 4, Wiz/Sor 6, Rgr 4

Because it gives so much control to the DM, you'll have to now what exists on both planes to use it effectively. You might get only 1 or 2 great escapes before you plane slip into someone's meal right before they bite.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

PirateGuy

well, seeing as the planes everywhere except the PM are boundless in their existance (we're confined to a planet, they're got inifinity), I don't think there's too much of a chance of being eaten by a monster or anything.

Of course, that's totally up to the DM.

I think there needs to be a "look into plane X" spell. Like a level 1 spell that lets you see what's going on in close range in one plane for a minute/level.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, See INvisibility does it for the ethereal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking away from spell level for a second (if only to stop me making "L-E-V-E-L" jokes -- oops, too late), isn't it possible to cross coterminous planar boundaries without a spell? I thought that was pretty much the definition of "coterminous".
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Planes that touch at specific points are coterminous. Where they touch, a connection exists, and travelers can leave one reality behind and enter the other.
    Okay, that's pretty vague, but page 150 of the DMG adds:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG
    It's possible, for example, to sail from Hades to the Abyss on the River Styx.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Better than ethereal jaunt, a 7th level spell for both clerics and wizards. It's 2nd use is slightly better than shadow walk, a 6th level spell for wizards only.

Yeah, the corresponding point thing is what makes this better than plane shift and the unlimited duration plus multiple options is what makes it better than ethereal jaunt. I'd say Wiz 8 / Clr 8 / Rgr lolno. I might let a level 17 or higher ranger / horizon walker have it for fluff reasons.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-08-06 at 12:34 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

16. - Top - End - #16

It's worse than either of these. It doesn't provide a way back, and you can only use it at intersecting points. It's especially worse than planeshift: on 90% of all planes, you can never use it.