Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Feat Rogue --> Feat Ninja?

There exists variant for a Feat Rogue in UA... would you as a DM allow the Ninja to trade in their sudden strike dice for fighter bonus feats? a Feat Ninja of sorts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Feat Rogue --> Feat Ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    There exists variant for a Feat Rogue in UA... would you as a DM allow the Ninja to trade in their sudden strike dice for fighter bonus feats? a Feat Ninja of sorts?
    I would have no problem with this, but really the only person that should be asked is your DM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ninja isn't a very strong class to begin with, and by giving up sudden strike they lose their most important ability to deal damage.
    It certainly does not makes the Ninja overpowered, but as a player I would be concerned that the tradeoff is too big.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4

well, I don't have a DM atm so Im just searching for a general consensus either for or against...

in the same way many of my thread questions are posed...

...and aye, the ninja is at a bit of a disadvantage... thats why this is mainly for a ninja multiclass dip

///////////////////////

The Dragon Devotee class in Races of the Dragon that provides a class ability called Combat Technique that could be adapated very nicely into this kind of variant for the classes involved.

Combat Technique (Ex): You become more deadly in combat. Each time you gain this class feature, you can choose either to take any feat from the list of fighter bonus feats for which you meet the prerequisite, or to improve the extra damage dealt by your existing sneak attack, skirmish, or sudden strike class feature by 1d6.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-02 at 10:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

PirateGuy

I kinda like that, actually.

You should add, for the rogue, "this class counts as a fighter for the purposes of feat prerequisites".

I don't think this will bring this class up a tier or anything special. Of course, that doesn't seem to be what you're going for.

TBH, I'd give add bonus fighter feats at levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18 and add that clause from my second paragraph. It might the ninja to mid tier 4.
    Last edited by Aran Banks; 2010-08-02 at 10:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

well, if you are going to put Combat Technique anywhere on the rogue, ninja or scout (or fighter), put them in place of a damage dice advancement in their special damage ability which for ninja and rogue is usually an odd level.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sample Fighter Modification

Lvl// BAB // Fort// Ref // Will// Special
    01 // +01 // +02 // +00 // +00 // Combat Affinity, Bonus Feat
    02 // +02 // +03 // +00 // +00 // Combat Technique
    03 // +03 // +03 // +01 // +01 //
    04 // +04 // +04 // +01 // +01 // Bonus Feat
    05 // +05 // +04 // +01 // +01 // Combat Technique
    06 // +06 // +05 // +02 // +02 //
    07 // +07 // +05 // +02 // +02 // Bonus Feat
    08 // +08 // +06 // +02 // +02 // Combat Technique
    09 // +09 // +06 // +03 // +03 //
    10 // +10 // +07 // +03 // +03 // Bonus Feat
    11 // +11 // +07 // +03 // +03 // Combat Technique
    12 // +12 // +08 // +04 // +04 //
    13 // +13 // +08 // +04 // +04 // Bonus Feat
    14 // +14 // +09 // +04 // +04 // Combat Technique
    15 // +15 // +09 // +05 // +05 //
    16 // +16 // +10 // +05 // +05 // Bonus Feat
    17 // +17 // +10 // +05 // +05 // Combat Technique
    18 // +18 // +11 // +06 // +06 //
    19 // +19 // +11 // +06 // +06 // Bonus Feat
    20 // +20 // +12 // +06 // +06 // Combat Technique

Combat Affinity (Ex): Whenever selecting a bonus feat gained from the fighter class, treat your ability scores as being 2 points higher than their actual values.

Combat Technique (Ex): You become more deadly in combat. Each time you gain this class feature, you can choose either to take any feat from the list of fighter bonus feats for which you meet the prerequisite, or to improve the extra damage dealt by your existing sneak attack, skirmish, or sudden strike class feature by 1d6.

21 // +01 // +00 // +00 // +00 //
    22 // +01 // +01 // +01 // +01 // Epic Bonus Feat
    23 // +02 // +01 // +01 // +01 // Epic Combat Technique
    24 // +02 // +02 // +02 // +02 //
    25 // +03 // +02 // +02 // +02 // Epic Bonus Feat
    26 // +03 // +03 // +03 // +03 // Epic Combat Technique
    27 // +04 // +03 // +03 // +03 //
    28 // +04 // +04 // +04 // +04 // Epic Bonus Feat
    29 // +05 // +04 // +04 // +04 // Epic Combat Technique
    30 // +05 // +05 // +05 // +05 //

Epic Combat Technique (Ex): You become more deadly in combat. Each time you gain this class feature, you can choose either to take any epic feat from the list of epic fighter bonus feats for which you meet the prerequisite, or to improve the extra damage dealt by your existing sneak attack, skirmish, or sudden strike class feature by 1d8.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-09-25 at 07:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

PirateGuy

that's a very fighter-ish class, but with less dead levels. I'd say it's still tier 5.

It needs the rogue's stuff or the ninja's stuff so boost it a tier or two.

8. - Top - End - #8

Forgot to say it was a fighter modification.
    Other modifications I'd make to the class is involve the fighter-only feats.
    Which I did in an earlier thread by folding weapon focus and weapon specilization feats into Weapon Study feats...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160175

I used weapon groups varient as mainstream for the sake of adapting to randomly generated treasure.

////////////////////////////////////////

Anyway, for Ninja I'd replace their Sudden Strike ability at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level with the above stated Combat Technique... with a similar state of affairs for Rogue and Scout if it fits well.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-02 at 11:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds just fine to me.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm. I think this would be a definite power-up, with carefully-chosen feats, but not horrendously so.

I do really like the idea of the CAdv Ninja actually having enough feats to be able to take Martial Study (Cloak of Deception), Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), Craven, Shadow Blade, Gloom Razor, Martial Study (Shadow Stride), and so on. (Maybe throw in a Martial Study (Claw at the Moon) for good measure.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

11. - Top - End - #11

Default Other Ninja Stuff

I might as well add the following to this thread:

Ninja Feat Brews and Modfications
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-03 at 02:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd allow it, but I wouldn't rate it as an actual class. The only thing that makes feat rogue better than feat ninja is that all of the ninja's other class abilities are directed at getting that sudden strike, while the rogue's other class abilities (lots of skillpoints and evasion/uncanny dodge) aren't. Neither class is really a good idea: without your sneak attack gimmick, all you have is feats to get your damage, and you end up a fighter with less AC and hp. Now, there are plenty of dex based builds, an sneak attack rogue is great for those, but they're builds and not single classes.

Feat rogue is just about the ultimate prerequisite dip class: 2 levels gets you 2 fighter feats, evasion, and at least 8 skillpoints even if you dumped int, and 16 or more if you didn't. If you need to jump through hoops to enter your prestige class, you can probably get there with a couple levels of feat rogue. A feat ninja? Well, you still get a few extra skillpoints, but the only reason I can ever see to take ninja in general is ghost step. I must admit, the ability to go invisible without wasting a standard action from level 2 onward is pretty cool. But it's only useful if you need a way to sneak attack/sudden strike, or get far enough away to hide. If you would consider dipping feat rogue but want ghost step instead of evasion, then take it, otherwise you'd be better off with feat rogue in almost any case.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness