New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwaer Depths

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dwaer Depths

Dwaer Depths
    OOC Thread

It is a cold, brisk morning in Breland. The mist clings heavily to the Dagger River. It is a lighter, more pleasant mist than the creeping death that overtook Cyre. It seems to climb and claw its way up the lofty spires of the City of Towers, trying its hardest to overtake their impossible heights, only to beaten back by the rising sun. Among these skyward stone fingers, one shines like a diamond. The glass walls and intricate patterns create a lattice of light that beckons you towards its learned halls and endless shelves of tomes. Across arching skybridges and on gently floating skycoaches you have made your approach to Morgrave University, propelled forward by the promise of adventure and glory. Through the cavernous great hall and its twisting corridors you have been led, ending up in front of an ancient door with the name "Professor Dantari, Emeritus" written upon it. You have been told to wait patiently until the professor was available and one by one you trickle into the small hallway near the door. The occasional student or scholar brushes by you, but other than that you are virtually alone as you stand and wait.

The Party
    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | Class
    whoiam|Nustrilaa Xiloscient d'Phiarlan|Elf|Wizard
    Wiz|Soranda|Human|Artificer
    Cardea|Malosh|Shifter|Ranger
    Yuki Akuma|Enya|Gnome|Artificer
    Hat-Trick|Aoide Zinger|Human|Bard
    Dax Thura | Sharaccus | Human | Monk/Sorc
    [/table]

****This First Post Shall Be Used For All Manners of Bookkeeping****
    Last edited by King Tius; 2010-11-04 at 07:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Dwaer Depths

Nustrilaa

As would be expected of a wizard, Nustrilaa had taken her moment of waiting to settle down in a nice little spot in the hallway, extract a book from her backpack, and begin to read.

So far, so normal.

Where Nustrilaa differed from a standard mage was in the book she'd pulled out. Because it wasn't her spellbook. No, what she'd extracted from her bag was a cookbook - 'Pastry, the Aerenal Way'.

She appeared to consider it a riveting read...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Enya

Despite her age, Enya has spent the journey with the wide eyes of a curious child, looking here there and everywhere as they pass into the towering heights of Sharn. She'd heard stories, but she'd never seen it for herself!

"How do the towers stay up? They shouldn't be able to if they're this tall... I guess it's probably magic..."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The human woman who walks in next says, "It is in a manifest zone of Syrania, The Azure Sky." She looks around, nodding to the gnome and the elf. Her eyes fixate for a moment on the elf's book and her hands twitch, but then she looks up and focuses on their eyes. "I'm Soranda Smyth."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Gainer follows the human woman in and sits. He takes his glasses off and proceeds to clean the lenses with the bottom of his rumpled shirt while looking around the room.
    "Oh hey, what ya reading there?"
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

A young human man is next to arrive, his curly golden hair reflecting the morning light and complementing his kind, sky-blue eyes. His clothing is in the Thranish style, favoring gray with silver detailing. A short sword is strapped to his belt, but he otherwise appears unarmed. His body is athletically built, suggesting he is some kind of warrior. A necklace can be seen just over his collar, bearing a carved wooden design: an arrowhead with a stylized flame within.
    He smiles warmly at everyone as he approaches, before leaning against a wall to wait. He seems too excited to sit, and it appears it is taking him a certain amount of self-control not to pace or bounce up and down on his heels.
    "Good morrow, everyone. I trust this morning finds you well?"
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2010-08-06 at 08:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

A human woman with long, braided brown hair lets her green eyes wander over to the newcomer, at which they widen slightly, "Um... Good morrow to you." She smiles, "I"m Soranda.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2010-08-06 at 09:03 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Next to walk in is a tall half-elf with extremely pale skin, long black hair, and dichromatic eyes, one shoing blood red with a slit pupil, one deep sapphire blue. He's suited in typical traveller's garb and has a rapier hanging from his waste. His eyes flicker to each person in the group, resting longest on Soranda before he leans against a wal and closes his eyes, waiting.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Malosh

And last to walk in is a man who is feral in appearance. His head is thick with braided hair that goes down his back. Lithe muscles move under thick hair under a traveler's garment, consisting of britches with drawstrings to hold it up and in place, a tunic that is grey in color, a vest that is green. Over the tunic and vest is a chain shirt, slightly worn from heavy use. Green eyes view the room, taking everything into account. His padded footsteps are accompanied by the slight thud from the great sword strapped to his back as it hits the longbow slung over his back.

He walks towards the door with "Professor Dantari, Emeritus" written on it, and sits as close to it as he can without being in range of it swinging open and hitting him in the face. It's happened before, and he doesn't want to have it happen again; it really hurt. He sets his backpack down on the ground, and when he thinks no one is paying him any attention, rips small bits of meat from inside of it, and puts it in his mouth.
    Just finding my roots again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Nustrilaa

At the question about her book, the elf glances up from it's pages.

A moment later, she works out what was asked of her, and twists the book upright so the others can read the cover. "A little bit of home," she tells them, "every time I drop by a kitchen."

Since they'd jogged her attention anyway, Nustrilaa uses this as an opportunity to look around the others.

And she smiles.

"The professor keeps interesting company, I see." A little flick of the wrist and her hair pulls itself back from her face (yay unlimited cantrips! I'll never have to brush Nustrilaa's hair by hand again!) and comes to rest behind her back. "I think I was hired on as the expedition's cook... or wizard... or both. What do the rest of you think you were hired for?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The young man smiles warmly at Soranda, and extends a hand.
    "Well met, Soranda. The name's Silas. Pleased to meet you."
    Silas looks at the gathered company, assuming that this must be relatively normal for an expedition such as this one. At the elf's question, he crosses his arms and shrugs, leaning back against the wall once more. The smile never leaves his face.
    "I suppose I'm here to make sure nobody gets hurt. I hope you'll all make that easy on me."
    He grins, flashing a set of white teeth. If it wasn't for the fact that he looked like he could give the shifter a run for his money in an arm wrestling competition, Silas could be described as boyish. He begins to drum his fingers on his arms absentmindedly.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    "What do the rest of you think you were hired for?"
    "Negotiator, scout, and urban expert." His voice is almost cold, but is tinged with a degree of ... something you can't quite identify. "I'm Persona, by the way. NIce to meet you all."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda takes the proferred hand, "I'm an artificer by trade, so I imagine I'll be handling miscellaneous magic, light healing, the occasional buff... though I don't imagine you'll need much buffing, Silas."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Silas chuckles at Soranda's comment.
    "Buffing? Is that like protective spells? If it helps me do my job, I won't stop you! I didn't think many artificers went on adventures; I always imagine them toiling away in shops or laboratories."
    He was about to say 'I didn't recall seeing any in training during the War,' but thought better of bringing up something so unpleasant, having just met these people. Instead he arched an eyebrow.
    "So are you with House Cannith, or...?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

She drops her eyes, "No... not Cannith, but I do pretty well - and I focus on knowing more than just crafting... I just can't get enough of books and stories, and I'm pretty good at deciphering ancient script as well."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    She drops her eyes, "No... not Cannith, but I do pretty well - and I focus on knowing more than just crafting... I just can't get enough of books and stories, and I'm pretty good at deciphering ancient script as well."
    At this comment, Persona looks up, "Ancient scripts eh. Never had much of a chance with books, i lived off the streets most of my life, everything i know i taught myself. Only thing that saved my hide half the time was my...unique talents."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda nods to Persona, "I know something about living on the streets, in the lower slums. I lost my whole family in the lower reaches of Sharn. I was saved by a priest of Onatar who ran an orphanage down there." She looks at him a little oddly, "What happened to your eye? Does that have something to do with how you survived?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #18

Soranda nods to Persona, "I know something about living on the streets, in the lower slums. I lost my whole family in the lower reaches of Sharn. I was saved by a priest of Onatar who ran an orphanage down there." She looks at him a little oddly, "What happened to your eye? Does that have something to do with how you survived?"
    "I know how it feels to lose your family, i lost mine when i was really young," he has a strange look in his eyes, at the comment about his eye he grins as it changes to match his other eye, "something like that."
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2010-08-06 at 11:54 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda looks surprised for a moment, and then smiles, "You're a changeling, aren't you? My little brother Perky was a changeling too, and my dad, but I never was, my mom was human you see."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

As you converse the knob of Professor Dantari's door very quietly turns. The door opens with a creak and a goblin steps out. He wears simple robes and bows low as he motions towards the door.

Spot checks as you enter the room, please...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Malosh gets up, pulling the bag a few inches off of the ground, and enters the room.

(1d20+6)[23]

22. - Top - End - #22

Soranda looks surprised for a moment, and then smiles, "You're a changeling, aren't you? My little brother Perky was a changeling too, and my dad, but I never was, my mom was human you see."
    His grin shifts slightly, he turns to his natural form, staying the same in build and height. "I used to call my sister Sora, she didn't like my old name to much, something to do with it being to short, so i changed it, adding an adaptation of my old nickname for her to get Persona." he looks more closely at you, trying to see something, it can't be her, but its been sixteen years, maybe, just maybe...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Soranda enters, her mind whirling with thouhts. Perky... called me Sora... Persora... Persona, could he be... oh, great, why do I have to do this interview now! Well, at least he's not going anywhere! She glances from time to time at Persona, as if trying to see some trace... though changelings in their natural state have so little in the way of specific features to call recollection to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20-3)[10]
    Last edited by Wiz; 2010-08-06 at 12:17 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Spot" - (1d20+4)[7]

As the door opens, the book snaps shut. It takes but a moment to tuck it back out of sight, and then Nustrilaa follows Malosh, Persona and Soranda inside.

She might as well, after all. She didn't ascend this far up the tower just to turn down work...

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot the spot check.
    (1d20+1)[11]

Persona resumes his half-elf guise as he enters the room, he seems more comfortable in it than his natural form.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Silas wasn't sure he was too terribly comfortable working with a changeling, but at least he was open about it. Better than having a nasty surprise later on... still, the knowledge was slightly concerning. Silas shrugged to nobody in particular as he entered the room.

Spot: (1d20+1)[9]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Enya... has not been paying much attention. Even the mention of another artificer goes right over her head as she just continues to stare out the nearest window.

Of course, then they're called in, and she comes to her senses!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[19]

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

The Goblin maintains his bow as you walk past. His voice, while gravely for a Goblin, is still somewhat higher in pitch.

"Please come in. The Professor is eager to meet you."

The room you enter is littered with tomes and scrolls. Several workbenches are built into the eastern wall (you entered from the south) and have heaps of books and alchemical supplies sitting on them. The large windows which take up most of the northern wall thankfully do not face the rising sun, allowing the room to be nice and bright but not quite blinding.

An old man paces about in the center of the room, seemingly aimless. He stares at the floor and appears to be lost in thought. As you enter his head quickly pops up and he turns his head to regard you. The movement is almost birdlike. He does not speak.

OOC: Instead of a flurry of PMs I will post spot info in spoilers here. You may all look, but you are on your hono(u)r not to metagame what you read.

Enya and Malosh:
    Spoiler
    Show

You notice that there are feathers scattered about on the floor. One falls from under the old man's robes as you glance at them.

Malosh:
    Spoiler
    Show

As you pass the Goblin you see a small bit of red cloth sticking out of his pocket. From the several professors you've passed so far, you recognize this as the scarf that indicates one's tenured position in Morgrave. You also realize that the old man in front of you is not wearing one.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Malosh keeps his eye on the Goblin as he enters the room, and then move to look at all the books in the room. He didn't read much, and he couldn't read often, but it still amazed him at how much dedication others took to write. He couldn't have the patience for it, so it was almost something to applaud. He looks quizzical at the professor. He sets his bag down on the ground and approaches the professor slowly. He says under his breath, when he gets close to the Professor, "No scarf?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Enya looks around the room for several minutes, and then heads right on over to the workbenches to take a look at those books! She doesn't even pay any attention to the old man.

Her tenure as a librarian has ingrained a few quirks in her. One of those quirks is the urge to sort books whenever she sees them in a jumbled heap like that - and finding out if they have any volumes the Library doesn't have is always a plus.