New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4E Telekenitic stuff

So, I have some utility powers in 4E, and I have been brainstorming, but I was wondering if anybody has some good house rules or if you know of things in RAW that may say how to do the following:

Say I were to telekinetically manipulate a cord to trip or strangle folks. Any system for that?

Say I were to drop something on top of someone, is there a way to determine a critical, or see if I knock them prone?

Say I were to fling something that they are on top of. Is there rules for ANY of this stuff?

Are there any house rules, or stuff given by RAW for things in this realm of possibility?

Likely there is, but I miss so much that its pretty stupid sometimes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4E Telekenitic stuff

RAW, damaging people with telekinetically manipulated stuff is...limited, at best. 4e's design frowns on non-attack powers being used for attacks. For example, it was realized that teleporting powers could deal lots of damage to enemies by teleporting them up into the air, so their damage was increased and the range you can teleport them was decreased. 4e would rather you didn't use item manipulation utilities to attack people.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Not sure if there are any utility powers that can do those things, but Wizards get Mage Hand and Psions get Far Hand. With these, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to trip someone or drop something on their heads. I think strangling would be more difficult.

You should check with your DM. It'll be up to him whether you can even trip someone with one of those powers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

We spoke about it, but we just wanted to see if there were any good rules out there. Psions also get Telekinetic lift, which is same as far hand, only 400 lbs. I have been wanting to use it, but it is difficult to find what use it can be besides carrying stuff, which is lame since I can already use Tensers floating disc since level 1

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mage/Far Hand isn't capable of using weapons to attack, so why should it be able to use improvised weapons? At any rate, using them to attack would have to be a Standard Action anyway (you're concentrating on using the Hand, rather than just having it move stuff almost subconsciously), and would then get an attack roll and damage roll and whatnot, based on what the DM determines is appropriate.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The short answer is "no". The slightly longer answer is,

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrazer View Post
    Say I were to telekinetically manipulate a cord to trip or strangle folks. Any system for that?
    Take the Ray of Enfeeblement power and refluff.

Say I were to drop something on top of someone, is there a way to determine a critical, or see if I knock them prone?
    Take the Icy Terrain power and refluff.

Say I were to fling something that they are on top of. Is there rules for ANY of this stuff?
    Er, this one is tricky even with existing powers and refluff. I'd suggest taking Primal Gust.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!