Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Cyber soldier fighting tonight: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

List of chapters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chapter 1: Repairman at Large/The Right Stuff
    Chapter 2: Day of Departure/Angry Eyes
    Chapter 3: Lawbreaking Saviors/Two Worlds
    Chapter 4: One's Own Journey, One's Own Circumstances/Alien Invasion
    Chapter 5: Moon Riders/Day of Awakening
    Chapter 6: The Night of the Festival/Descend, Super Gravity God
    Chapter 7: Goddess of the Moon/Moonlight, Tainted by Rage
    Chapter 8: Angel Memories/The End of the World
    Chapter 9: The Day the World Ends/Dimension Crash
    Protagonist selected: Setsuko
    Chapter 10: Break the World
    Chapter 11: Paradigm Shift
    Chapter 12: Blue Sky Fish
    Chapter 13: Stand Tall, Warrior of Space!
    Chapter 14: The Gathering Strangers
    Chapter 15: To an Unseen Tomorrow
    Route split: Pacific
    Chapter 16: Crossing Resolves
    Chapter 17: Blue Drifter
    Chapter 18: Bloodstained Eyes
    Chapter 19: Ressurected Wings

If you're looking for the character roster you can find it here: part 1, part 2.

A glossary of terms and organisations is in the spoiler below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originals
    UN: An information system with central servers. It provides the whole world with news but allows for private content, too. Any similarities with the Internet are coincidental.

New Earth Federation: Centralized Earth government. Most of the tight-fisted regimes listed below found themselves a part of this.

Zeta Gundam
    Federation: Government that unites almost all of Earth's nations. It is tight-fisted and has its share of dark secrets.

Titans: Federation's anti-terrorist force. That's the official part. Unofficially, they're a group of power-hungry jerks who aren't above killing or otherwise destroying anyone who opposses them, even en masse. They're also racist against spacenoids, people raised in space colonies.

AEUG: Anti-Earth Union Group. They're not really anti-Earth, just anti-Titan. A group of rebels and the good guys of Zeta Gundam.

Karaba: Anti-Titan guerilla fighters. They are allied with AEUG to the point of being almost the same organisation, with the exception of AEUG operating mostly in space while Karaba is Earth-based.

Mobile suit: Humanoid combat machine. Comes equipped with a miniature, nuclear Minovsky Reactor, so damage often results in an explosion. This classification is used in all Gundam series, not just Zeta.

Mobile armor: Non-humanoid combat machine. May be small and crappy or giant, experimental and deadly. Some mobile suits transform into an alternate mobile armor mode. Used in all Gundam series.

Newtype: Human with an increased perception, limited precognition and other mysterious abilities. Newtypes are born naturally and are supposedly the result of humankind migrating to space. The Federation mistrusts and discriminates against them. Newtypes also appear in Gundam X.

Gundam SEED Destiny
    ZAFT: Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty. Group of PLANTs (space colonies) united under one government. They maintain their freedom despite having lost the previous war.

Blue Cosmos: Anti-Coordinator activist group. They're supposedly involved in a lot of dirty activities but nothing can be proven. Their secret leaders are known as Logos, and almost nobody knows about them.

Orb: Small but powerful Earth nation. It remains independent of the Federation. Ruled by several noble houses that are in constant odds with each other.

Three Ship Alliance: A small resistance movement that emerged during the previous war and decided to create peace rather than let everyone fight each other to the bitter end. They succeeded, and are currently in hiding.

FAITH: Fast Acting Integrate Tactical Headquarters, elite ZAFT operatives who answer only to the council of PLANTs and its Chairman.

Coordinator: Human being genetically modified when in womb to have superior intellect and abilities. Most Coordinators live in space colonies.

Natural: Normal, non-modified human. Tensions and hatred between Naturals and Coordinators are not unusual. Not at all.

SEED: Person with a SEED factor can, when under extreme emotional tension, enter a state of greatly enhanced ability and total awareness and control. SEEDs are very rare and very powerful.

Gundam X
    Vultures: Mobile suit-riding bandits. Sometimes they're honorable or at least organized. Often not.

New United Nations Earth: NUNE for short, also known as the central government. Remains of a previous all-Earth organisation, it still wants to control the whole world.

Turn A Gundam
    Earthrace: People who live on Earth. Their technology level is low, equivalent to early 20th century.

Moonrace: People who live on the Moon, but some want to return to Earth. Most are in cryogenic statis.

Inglessa: An Earthrace nation. It's decentralized and not very united.

Luziana: An Earthrace nation. Centralized and militaristic.

Dianna Counter: Moonrace faction of people who want to return to Earth, led by the Moonrace queen herself.

Mobile doll: Another name for a mobile suit.

Black History: Dark period of the past when humanity almost destroyed itself in a huge, devastating war.

Grendizer
    Fleed: Planet that Duke and Maria came from. Conquered by Vegans.

Vega: Planet of evil aliens!

Spazer: Self-propelled unit that serves as support for the Grendizer.

Zambot 3
    Bael: Planet that the Jin family (and its side families) came from. The rest of its population was killed by Gaizock.

Gaizock: Evil, homicidal aliens.

Xabungle
    Innocents: Race of people living in special domes and territories. They ruled the Civilians but their dominance was overthrown by Jiron Amos.

Civilians: Race of people who live on the land. Very strong and resilient.

Breakers: Walker Machine pilots. Most are bandits or hired thugs.

Walker Machine: A humanoid robot. Primitive - runs on gasoline! But easy to maintain. The main characters' units have plot armor!

Three Day Law: A rule that says all crimes are forgiven after a period of three days. Overthrown by Jiron Amos.

Blue Stones: Rare ore, used to trade with Innocents and still used as currency on bazaars.

Overman King Gainer
    Siberian Railroad: Half-government, half-corporation that maintains a monopoly on cities called Domepoli.

Exodus: What you do if you don't like where you live. Pack up your belongings (maybe even a whole house!) and move somewhere else. Can be done by a single person or en masse. Siberian Railroad REALLY doesn't like Exodizing.

Silhouette Engine: Basic machine. Can be used for combat or labor.

Overman: Powerful, one of a kind robots. They possess the ability to perform physics-defying stunts, called Overskills.

Eureka Seven
    Gekkostate: Independent, anti-government mercenary group.

United Federation: Centralized government.

LFO: Giant, humanoid robots. Those used by the military are known as KLFs.

Trapar: Substance found in the air. Allows reffing - air suring on trapar waves.

Baldios
    Blue Fixer: Military force created to fight hostile aliens.

S-1: Alien planet. Its natural ecosystem was destroyed in a war.

Aldebaran: Faction of inhabitants of S-1 who want to take over Earth. In other words: Evil Aliens.

Gravion
    Gran Knights: Small, private force commanded by Sandman. They pilot Gran Diva machines and form the Gravion.

G-Factor: Special ability to withstand physical tension and g forces. Required to be a Gran Knight.

Genesis of Aquarion
    Shadow Angels: Mythical beings of incredible power. They abduct humans for their life essence.

DEAVA: Anti-Shadow Angel organisation. All of its pilots are Elements.

Element: Human with psychic abilities. They can manifest in various ways: control of an element, telekinesis, and more.

Orguss
    Chiram: Nation of militaristic people. Allied with the Federation but retain independence.

Emaan: Loose nation of traders. They travel around the world in independent caravans. Biologically different to humans.

Device: A piloted machine of either war or commerce. Chiram Devices have legs but no arms, Emaan are the other way around.

The Big O
    Megadeus: An awesome, big robot! Some Megadei are pilotted, other are AI-controlled.

Godsigma
    Eldar: Aliens that want to seize Trinity Energy for unknown means.

Trinity Energy: An incredibly potent source of power that can solve all of Earth's energy problems. Developed by professor Kazami in Trinity City.

A word of introduction: Super Robot Wars is a series of turn-based strategy games by Banpresto. The premise is simple - take several mecha anime shows, combine their plots to achieve an awesome all-stars giant robot team and a worthy opponent, add in original characters and units that hold everything together like glue, and let the players simultaneously exercise their tactical minds, squee at seeing their favorite mecha duke it out, and enjoy well-made, fluid attack animations.

SRW Z is one of the youngest titles, released on PS2 in 2008. Since it's a new Banpresto production, all of its elements I found simply awesome - combat mechanics, graphics, music, scenario and series selection, and so on and so forth. Enjoy its epic (if a bit lengthy) intro here. But enough gushing, let's get to business:

I want to run a Let's Play of this title, so state your interest if you want me to do it. This thread will be pretty image-intensive, and this time I will also link self-recorded youtube footage of the game. But unlike my previous LPs of Galactic Civilizations II, there won't be any kind of "player roleplay" as other posters pretend to be characters in the game itself. Doesn't mean there won't be no participation though - on the contrary, there will be many decisions to make, and when one pops up, I hope for your votes!

Disclaimer: This game is 100% in Japanese. I will try to make my commentary not only amusing, but descriptive enough not to make people feel lost. But there is also the other side of this double-edged sword - I myself am not that awesome in Japanese. My knowledge of included series and other dirty tricks help here, but there will be times when I won't have much of an idea what's going on plot-wise - and when that happens, I will make up plot wholesale. In fact, I will do that when I feel it's more amusing/interesting, too. So purists and devout fans of shows included in this LP, try to be gentle while you eviscerate me.

List of series you may stumble across in SRW Z. with openings for your viewing pleasure:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mazinger Z - 1972
    Great Mazinger - 1974
    Getter Robo G - 1975
    UFO Robot Grendizer - 1975
    Invincible Superman Zambot 3 - 1977
    Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3 - 1978
    Space Emperor God Sigma - 1980
    Baldios - 1980
    Combat Mecha Xabungle - 1982
    Super Dimension Century Orguss - 1983
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation - 1985 (2005 compilation movie)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (no opening, it's a movie!) - 1988
    After War Gundam X - 1996
    Turn A Gundam - 1999
    The Big O - 1999
    Overman King Gainer - 2002
    Gravion - 2002
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - 2004
    Genesis Of Aquarion - 2005
    Eureka Seven - 2005

I totally did not act lazy and copy this straight from TVTropes. I arranged the series in order of release, you see. I did, however, had to take a pause here to listen to each and every series' opening.

But that's obviously not all - what would a story be without its protagonist? Most SRW titles allow you to pick the main character from a short list, and this one is no exception. The choice made here will change not only the protagonist and his or her robot, but also details of the plot (in this case, mostly very early game and midgame, early-midgame and lategame are roughly the same), and even available secrets. So choose wisely, because the choice here depends on you!

Super Robot Wars Z allows you to pick one of two possible protagonists:

Rand Travis
    Spoiler
    Show

A free spirit, Rand travels through the wasteland, fixing broken machines of those in need. A large, friendly and jovial man, he has a tendency to make very weird and/or funny faces. His robot is named Gunleon - it's your typical Super Robot. It doesn't dodge very well, but it's tough enough that it doesn't have to, its attacks are short-ranged but powerful, and are often too silly or over the top to be called realistic. Or if you prefer, it's Gurren Lagann WITH WRENCHES. It can repair itself and other units, too.

Rand is accompanied by Mail Beater, underage daughter of his old master and, apparently, his fiancee. At least that's what she says. Rand refuses to acknowledge it. That'd be wrong.

Rand's route is somewhat light and comedic, at least compared to Setsuko's route. It still has serious moments of course - or at least, what will remain of the plot's drama after I am done with it.

Series that the game focuses on during Rand's midgame:
    Spoiler
    Show
    King Gainer
    Big O
    Xabungle
    Gundam X
    Getter Robo G
    Grendizer
    Aquarion
    Eureka Seven
    Orguss
    Baldios

OR

Setsuko Ohara
    Spoiler
    Show

Setsuko is the youngest and most inexperienced of a three person team, the Glory Stars. She is shy and gentle, but with serious confidence issues. Her initial machine is the Balgora Unit Three. It is a Real Robot, focusing on evasion rather than tanking, with long- and close-distance attacks that favor sustainability over burst power. Truth to be told, it is not that awesome at first - but this too does change.

Setsuko is accompanied by her teammates - the serious but just and protective Denzel Hammer, and laidback, cheerful Toby Watson.

Setsuko's route is darker than Rand's. The plots are more serious and brutal and Bad Things Happen - even to our heroine. Do not worry though, things will eventually end well. Hopefully.

Series that the game focuses on in Setsuko's midgame:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zambot 3
    Zeta Gundam
    Char's Counterattack
    Turn A Gundam
    Gundam SEED Destiny
    Mazinger Z
    Great Mazinger
    God Sigma
    Gravion

Alright people - it's your decision to vote on who our hero may be. Note, the other character does appear in the plot no matter what, but they will not join your ranks.

I will keep the voting open for a few days and, if I get enough votes or declarations of interest, then we'll begin. The game has 60 chapters, so we're in for a long ride - I'll try to update every few days to a week, depending on my free time.

Like always, if you got questions, write 'em here.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-10-09 at 03:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Let's (maybe) Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

Setsuko Ohara (Mostly for Mazinger)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I vote for Roger Smith. ....Uh, I mean Rand. And as for whether you'll have an audience, I've already got this thread subscribed.
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-08-10 at 10:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

A tough choice, but im going to say Rand.

Looking forward to the first update of this.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2010-08-10 at 10:56 AM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting for Setsuko, because I'm playing Rand at the moment.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

You can't not chose a protagonist whose name is Travis.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MY WRENCH IS THE WRENCH SHALL FIX THE HEAVENS! So Rand.

I love the SRW games, in fact, i still need to beat my OG2 copy.
    Last edited by NotAEvilToaster; 2010-08-10 at 04:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Rand. Rand. Just...Rand.

Unless you can deliver divine justice on Evil Masa...I mean, you-know-who. I cannot tell more, or the righteous will usher a bloody war with the masochists.

Or I'll sick the Londo Bell on you, sir. Have a nice day.

Which reminds me...I should go and finish SRW A. Now, what's that silly Axel doing...?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Let's take a look at the series on each route, and how familiar I am with them:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand
    King Gainer: lol dancing
    Big O: Awesome
    Xabungle: My memories from @G are too bad for me to support this, even if I've heard Z does it better
    Gundam X: Twin Sattelite Cannon hell yeah
    Getter Robo G: Not the coolest incarnation of Getter, but sure
    Grendizer: Just... weird. No.
    Aquarion: Eh... see above.
    Eureka Seven: Surfing robots powered by love, right? I'm kind of curious...
    Orguss: ?
    Baldios: I'm pretty sure this is a Super Robot, but that's all I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setsuko
    Zambot 3: MOOOOON!
    Zeta Gundam: Not an anime. It's a videogame
    Char's Counterattack: CHAR CHAR CHAR
    Turn A Gundam: SRW makes up for its lack of a plot, which just leaves some pretty cool mechs.
    Gundam SEED Destiny: I really want to see how Z apparently fixes things.
    Mazinger Z: ZEEEEET! It would be criminal to leave out this guy given the title of the game.
    Great Mazinger: Tetsuya can come too.
    God Sigma: Whatever the animators were smoking...
    Gravion: CHOUJU! GASHIIIIN!!! This is the closest the game gets to Code Geass (Lelouch's voice and ninja maids), and the second-closest thing to GaoGaiGar
    I guess I'll vote for Zetsubo Setsuko.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-10 at 05:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

It took some intense thinking, but I'm going with Rand now.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I'd like to clarify two things:
    Plot focus that I mentioned for each character happens only in midgame. So do not worry: even if the other protagonist gets selected, your favorite mecha series will not be lost forever.
    Also, a few series in this game are present, but do not really have canon plot. The characters are around, so are their robots, and they definitely do have plot importance rather than just hanging around - but it's original plot and situations rather than scenes you may know from their respective anime. Which ones? Not sayin'.

@T.G Oskar: I will deliver divine justice on that guy regardless of which route we're on. Trust me.

@Prime32: Xabungle is awesome in SRW Z. Did you hate the series' setting or that the units were weak? The latter was definitely fixed, Xabungle units are powerful if you use them in their chosen role. As for the plot and setting... not everyone's cup of tea, I guess. But let it be said that Rand, with his silly expressions and a rather laidback attitude, is pretty much a Xabungle character.

And Setsuko is a Zeta Gundam one.

Both Baldios and God Sigma are, I'm sorry to say that, pretty typical early 80s Super Robot shows. Both have their twists and little things that make them unique, but at a first glance the thing that distinguishes Baldios is a pretty cool theme song and the fact it teleports between dimensions, while God Sigma's lead is voiced by Tomokazu Seki. They couldn't get the original voice actor - I do not know if he is dead or just retired. Hope it's the latter.

EDIT: Forgot to describe Orguss. It's Macross-like, but... just weird. Wait and see. Not saying it's a bad thing though. And the main character is voiced by Sho "Max Jenius" Hayami. Can't go wrong with that.

Also, observant people may notice the lack of Daitarn 3 from both lists. This is because Daitarn doesn't appear until midgame is over. But Haran Banjou himself is important in both routes. He's just that badass.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-10 at 06:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    @Prime32: Xabungle is awesome in SRW Z. Did you hate the series' setting or that the units were weak? The latter was definitely fixed, Xabungle units are powerful if you use them in their chosen role. As for the plot and setting... not everyone's cup of tea, I guess. But let it be said that Rand, with his silly expressions and a rather laidback attitude, is pretty much a Xabungle character.
    Weak units, odd plot and setting, being repeatedly forced to use their weak units, every character looks like a malformed toddler, the shop uses their currency and will only sell their weak units, the plot doesn't always tie in well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Yeah, definitely improved in Z. Units are awesome in their given role (anti-land) in this game, and the squad system makes the mook ones suck less.

Did I mention this game has a squad system? Seems I forgot. Oh well.

Also, Alpha Gaiden has really weird artwork for Xabungle. They look more like they should in Z - it's still pretty cartoony, but less of a "what has science done" kind. The plot and setting are as they always were, but tie into the game pretty well.

The Blue Stone bazaar sells pretty awesome stuff in this game, too.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Character roster, part 1.

There's more in part 2!

Original characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rand Travis
    Wandering repairman who can break stuff as easily as he fixes it. Don't call him the Crasher - his nickname is the Heat. Inherited Gunleon from his old master.

Mail Beater
    Rand's underage sidekick and wife no just no. Cheerful and enthusiastic. An amateur photographer.

Setsuko Ohara
    Member of the Glory Stars team, designated Star 3. Timid and easy to bully, but really cares for her friends.

Denzel Hammer
    Leader of the Glory Stars. An experienced veteran and very protective of his subordinates. Killed in action by Asakim.

Toby Watson
    Glory Star member, designated Star 2. Laidback and wisecracking but serious in a fight. Might have a crush on Setsuko.

Asakim Dowen
    A mysterious black-clad man. He is arrogant, ruthless and very powerful, while his goals remain a mystery.

Edel Bernal
    Creator of the UN network. She works for the betterment of humanity, and seeks peace and order on Earth.

Lowen General
    Edel Bernal's assistant, who delivered her message to our protagonists. He is polite, gentlemanly and very shy around females.

Mazinger Z characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Kouji Kabuto
    The one and only pilot of Mazinger Z! Hot-blooded and determined, he will defeat any evil that endangers the Earth.

Grendizer characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Duke Fleed/Daisuke Umon
    Prince of planet Fleed, he had to run away when it was invaded by aliens from Vega. When they chased him to Earth, he decided to defend it.

Hikaru Makiba
    Daughter of a rancher whose farm "Daisuke" works on. She is gentle and non-combatative but determined to defend Earth regardless.

Grace Maria Fleed
    Duke Fleed's younger sister. Fiery and emotional, she initially thought Earthlings kidnapped him but decided to help once she discovered the truth.

King Vega
    Leader of an evil alien race, who conquered planet Fleed for its natural environment. Now he plans to do the same with Earth!

Gandora
    Vega's lieutenant. Inside his head lives a miniature female figure, Lady Gandora, with her own personality and sentience.

Zambot 3 characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Kappei Jin
    12 year old. He is rash, reckless and apparently totally fearless. Likes excitement but not really that good with people.

Chonishiki
    Kappei's dog. A loyal companion to his master.

Uchuuta Kamie
    Zambot 3's co-pilot. More mature than Kappei, but just as fight-happy.

Keiko Kamikita
    Zambot 3's co-pilot. She's the least aggressive, but most determined of the trio.

Aki
    Kappei's friend. She is quick to criticize when he does something stupid, but likes and cares for him.

Michi
    Kappei's friend. Easily baffled by his outrageous actions.

The Jin family
    Gengoroh is Kappei's father. Ichitaroh is Kappei's older brother, and Heizaemon is his grandfather. What is the mother's name? Who knows... Same for grandmother. Sorry. They're not Earthlings, having come from planet Bael many generations ago.

Shingo Kozuki
    Leader of a local gang of kids. Often at odds with Kappei, with whom he has a rivalry.

Kozuki's friend
    One of kids from Kozuki's gang. Loyal to him despite his apparent annonymity. Cynical.

Killer the Butcher
    Supposedly the leader of the Gaizock invasion. Immature and childish, but bloodthirsty and very ruthless.

Gizzar
    It's Gizzar, not Barettar. The tougher one of Butcher's lieutenants.

Barettar
    Definitely not Gizzar. Butcher's lieutenant. Rather sleazy and ill-suffering.

Daitarn 3 characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Haran Banjou
    A famous superspy. He lives a life of excitement and luxury, but his priority is stopping all kinds of evil.

Reika Sanjou
    Banjou's lovely assistant and an ex-Interpol agent. Skilled in all kinds of espionage.

Beautiful Tachibana
    Banjou's assistant who is as competent as she is beautiful.

Gundam X characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Garrod Ran
    A reckless and somewhat naive teenager, pilot of the Gundam X Divider. Wants to return to his precious person, Tiffa.

Tiffa Adill
    A young but very powerful Newtype girl. Quiet and shy, but kind to others.

Jamil Neate
    Freeden's captain. A veteran fighter and Newtype, but doesn't want to pilot Mobile Suits now for some reason. He wants to locate other Newtypes and make sure they are safe.

Roybea Loy
    Mobile suit pilot, and also a suave and laidback ladies' man. Keeps his head cool in and out of the battlefield.

Witz Sou
    Hot-blooded mobile suit pilot. He is reckless and daring. Apparently he sends money he earns back home.

Carris Nautilus
    A young artificial Newtype. His goal is to bring and maintain peace to the ravaged world. He was an enemy to Freeden's crew once, but now helps them.

Sarah Tyrrell
    Jamil's second in command, she also operates the radar. Serious and no-nonsense.

Tonya Malme
    Freeden's comm operator. Playful and free-spirited, she nevertheless is sensitive to others' feelings.

Shingo Mori
    Freeden's helmsman. His natural talent and skill are much more pronounced than his personality.

Tex Farzenbarg
    Freeden's physician. A universally skilled man and old friend of Jamil.

Kid Salsamille
    Freeden's chief mechanic. Very skilled in his chosen field despite young age. He loves upgrading and otherwise modifying units.

Ennil En
    Strong-willed and independent, Ennil never forgets a debt. Which is why she still harbors a grudge on Garrod - and maybe something more...

Shagia Frost
    Older of the Frost brothers. A spy of the central government, he kidnapped Tiffa for unknown reasons.

Olba Frost
    Younger of the Frost brothers. Very loyal to his older brother, and a spy like him.

Xabungle characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Jiron Amos
    The spirited main character! No injustice will escape his determination. Likes to break the fourth wall.

Elche Cargo
    Young captain of the Iron Gear landship. She's enamored in old culture and artifacts.

Rag Urao
    Leader of the Sandrat bandits. A bit rough on the edges, but a good and caring person deep inside.

Cotset Memuma
    Elche's second in command and Iron Gear's chief mechanic. Really proud of his machines.

Fatman Big
    Elche's guardian. Strong and deceptively fast, but doesn't talk a lot.

Chiru
    The youngest of the Sandrats, she became something of a sidekick to Jiron.

Burume
    One of the Sandrats. Tech-savvy and a quick thinker, but doesn't like to risk his hide unnecessarily.

Daiku
    One of the Sandrats. Friendly and well-aware of his role as a secondary character.

Kid Hola
    Leader of a group of Breakers. Jiron's rival, he wants to take over his role as a main character and marry Elche.

Gelaba
    A Breaker. Very loyal to his Bro (Hola), but neither smart nor competent.

Medick
    Like his name suggests, he's a doctor. At first he was tricked by the Sandrats but eventually became their ally.

Overman King Gainer characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Gainer Sanga
    A very skilled video gamer. Forced to pilot the Overman King Gainer against his will. Hates the Exodus, despite being a part of it.

Gain Bijou
    An Exodus specialist, known as the Black Southern Cross. A badass sniper.

Sara Kodama
    Gainer's classmate and a member of the Gauli Squad. Definitely a tsundere.

Hughes Gauli
    Leader of a pro-Exodus squad of Panzer units. Serious and determined. Supposedly he's a ninja.

Bello Korissha
    Gainer's classmate. Very enthusiastic. What he did with his hair, I don't even.

Adette Kistler
    Siberian Railroad squad leader. A "big sister" to her men. Bossy and easily angered.

Yassaba Jin
    Leader of the Siberian Railroad garrison. Values strength most of all. Has a relationship with Adette.

Kejinan Datto
    Adette's underling. Values only his own hide, money, and not getting on Big Sister's bad side - in that order. Hilariously incompetent.

Enge Gam
    Adette's underling. Couldn't find his ass without a map. Nobody knows if his eyepatch is real or just for show.

Jaboli Mariela
    Adette's underling. Slightly more competent than the other two, but tends to suffer even more.

Princess Ana Medaiyu
    Daughter of the Domepolis's lord. Abducted by Gain as hostage but doesn't seem to mind. Energetic and bright for her age.

Lioubov Smettana
    Princess Ana's tutor. A little clumsy, but determined to keep her student safe.

The Links
    Princess Ana's pets. Rarely seen without each other, or away from their master.

The Five Wise Men
    There's actually four of them, and one is a woman. Old and experienced, they hatched a plan for an Exodus to the land of Yapan.

Mamadou Azaf
    Teacher at the Domepolis school. Secretely an Exodus sympathiser.

Kona Medaya
    Exodus's young mechanic. She's also a junior medic, making sure both the units and their crew are not hurt.

Eifa
    Very young but skilled fortune teller. She was abused by her boss, but Yassaba rescued her.

Lord Medaiyu
    Leader of the Domepolis. Worried about his abducted daughter, and unaware that she doesn't really mind what happened.

Turn A Gundam characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Loran Cehack
    A young Moonrace who came down to live on Earth. He loves nature and wishes well to everyone.

Laura Rolla
    The real pilot of Turn A Gundam. Definitely not Loran in drag.

Harry Ord
    Member of Queen Dianna's elite guard. Devoted to her and very skilled. Those glasses.

Dianna Soreil
    Queen of the Moonrace. She wishes for her people to return to Earth. She is wise but years spent in hibernation left her distant. Currently pretending to be Kihel Heim.

Kihel Heim
    Daughter of a rich mine owner. Loran works as her chaffeur. Elegant and noble, but she wants to help people with her own hands. Currently pretending to be Dianna Soreil.

Sochie Heim
    Kihel's younger sister. Tomboyish and impulsive. Grumpy towards Loran, but cares about him.

Guin Sard Lineford
    Young governor of Nocis City and unofficial leader of the whole Inglessa. He wants to revolutionize the country's industry and doesn't give up against the Moonrace.

Mikhail Gern
    Colonel of Inglessa's militia. Very loyal to Guin and his goals.

Joseph Yaht
    Junior archeologist and specialist in Black History. Also a mobile doll pilot.

Miashei Kyun
    A good mechanic and airplane pilot. Friendly and levelheaded, she's close to Sochie and Loran.

Gavane Gooney
    Leader of Luziana's Suicide Squad. Tough and foolhardy, but soft-hearted on the inside.

Poe Aijee
    Lieutenant in the Dianna Counter, a Moonrace expeditionary force. She has very bad luck and cries when she fails.

Corin Nander
    Moonrace, he was frozen in cryogenic statis a long time ago but recently released. He acts childishly and wants his vengeance on the white Gundam.

Keith Laijie
    Moonrace. Loran's friend, and came with him to Earth two years ago. Works at a bakery.

Fran Doll
    Loran's friend, who came to Earth together with him and Keith. She works as a reporter.

Phil Ackman
    Captain of the Dianna Counter. He considers Earthrace to be inferior barbarians.

Milan Rex
    Moonrace and a close adiutant to Queen Dianna.

Lily Borjarno
    Daughter of Lord Borjarno of Luziana. Seemingly a vain and shallow socialite, but is smarter than she looks. Has a crush on Guin.

Sid Munzer
    Inglessa's chief archeologist. He is very knowledgeable about Black History.

Zeta Gundam characters (+Char's Counterattack!)
    Spoiler
    Show

Kamille Bidan
    Prodigious mecha designer, but irritable and asocial. He is also a Newtype. Has a grudge against Titans after they threw him in a cell.

Quattro Bajeena
    AEUG's ace pilot. Most definitely not a Char. Awesome sunglasses.

Bright Noah
    Argama's captain and a war hero. One of the first members of AEUG. A father to his men.

Amuro Ray
    The legendary Newtype whose actions granted victory during the One Year War. He grew disillusioned with the Federation, and his desire for peace made him work with Karaba.

Emma Sheen
    Predictably, she left the Titans and joined AEUG. Kind, but gets stern if people act like jerks or fool around.

Jerid Messa
    A Titan. Prideful and a bit of an a-hole, but very unlucky.

Kacricon Cacooler
    A Titan. More experienced than Jerid and serves as something of a mentor to him.

Jamaican Danigan
    Titan commander. Haughty and arrogant, he is disliked by his allies and enemies alike.

Apolly Bay
    AEUG's pilot. Rather skilled with a Rick Dias. Refreshingly average guy.

Roberto
    AEUG's Rick Dias pilot. Serious and hard-working.

Reccoa Londe
    AEUG's pilot. Loves the adrenaline boost she gets from a mobile suit fight.

Torres and Sagusa
    Operating officers on Argama's bridge.

Astonaige Medoz
    Argama's chief engineer. Extremely skilled and open to new technologies.

Kai Shiden
    Amuro's old comrade, who used to pilot the Guncannon during the One Year War. He used to be a coward but experience turned him into a strong and dedicated man. In constant pursuit of truth as an intrepid reporter.

Katz Kobayashi
    During the One Year War, he was one of the three kids that hanged around on the White Base. Now he's older, more mature and ready to pilot a mobile suit - or so he believes.

Blex Forer
    Commodore and leader of AEUG. He opposes the tyranny of the Titans, since he was one of the first to witness it fully.

Wong Lee
    Top dog of Anaheim Electronics, a private company that (secretely) supports AEUG. He is very strict and critical and hates when people do not act like he believes they should.

Laila Milla Rila
    An ace pilot, she worked along the Titans despite not being one of them. She was a friend, and possibly more, of Jerid, but was killed by Kamille in battle.

Paptimus Scirocco
    Extremely powerful Newtype. He works for the Titans but his real motives are a mystery.

Jamitov Hymem
    The Titans' leader. He is dedicated to Earth's protection but his methods are cruel and ruthless.

Buran Blutarch
    A Titan. Skilled in operating his treasured Asshimar mobile armor.

Ben Wooder
    Titan who commands a capital ship. And... that's it, really.

Gundam SEED Destiny characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Shinn Asuka
    An elite ZAFT Red pilot despite his young age. Has a strong sense of justice, but is hot headed and easy to anger. Coordinator, like most ZAFT people on this list.

Athrun Zala
    Experienced pilot who fought many battles during the previous war. His loyalty shifted from ZAFT to the Three Ships Alliance, and he used to serve Cagalli as a bodyguard under the nickname Alex Dino. Now he's with ZAFT again.

Lunamaria Hawke
    Shinn's childhood friend and a ZAFT Red. Cheerful and somewhat tomboyish.

Rey Za Burrel
    A friend of Shinn, and ZAFT Red just like him. Extremely loyal to ZAFT and more stoic than his emotional friends.

Kira Yamato
    Hero of the One Year War, but he defected from the Federation to create the Three Ship Alliance. Now he remains neutral. Supposedly he is the Ultimate Coordinator, and has a powerful SEED factor.

Lacus Clyne
    An idol singer-turned-politician, and a member of Three Ship Alliance. She used to be engaged to Athrun but now has feelings for Kira, and runs an orphanage in Orb with him.

Talia Gladys
    Captain of the Minerva. Serious and composed.

Arthur Trine
    Talia's second in command. Easily flustered due to inexperience.

Meyrin Hawke
    Minerva's communication officer. Younger sister of Luna.

Gilbert Durandal
    Chairman of PLANT. He seeks to end conflicts between Naturals and Coordinators. Has an interest in science and new technologies.

Cagalli Yula Attha
    Chief Representative of the Orb Union. She used to be a pilot during the last war, but now she's a politician. Also, she is Kira's sister.

Yoland and Vino
    Minerva's young engineers. Which one was who, again?

Murrue Ramius
    Captain of the Archangel, she holds this position since the One Year War when she was an inexperienced lieutenant. Member of the Three Ship Alliance, until recently lived in Orb as "Maria Bernes".

Andrew Waltfeld
    Known as the Desert Tiger, a former ZAFT commander who lost his arm, eye and a lover to war. He survived to join the Three Ship Alliance. He has a relationship with Murrue, and his hobby is preparing the perfect coffee.

Meer Campbell
    A young woman whose singing voice was so similar to Lacus's, that she currently is employed by ZAFT as her double. Despite being a fake used for political goals, she is content with her position.

Neo Roanoke
    A mysterious masked man of great skill. The Extended trio are his subordinates.

Sting Oakley
    An Extended, he stole the Chaos Gundam from ZAFT. Most serious and sane of the Gundamjackers, he treats the other two like younger siblings.

Auel Neider
    Stole the Abyss Gundam. The most psychotic of the Gundamjacker trio, he hates Coordinators with a passion.

Stella Loussier
    Stole the Gaia Gundam. She switches moods between dangerous and aggressive; and childish and cheerful.

Yzak Joule
    ZAFT's ace pilot and veteran of the previous war. He learned to hate the atrocities of war but remains loyal to ZAFT. Short tempered. He was a member of Athrun's squad.

Dearka Elsman
    A veteran ZAFT pilot, he lost his rank due to his defection during the previous war. Yzak's and Athrun's friend.

Ian Lee
    Captain of the Girty Lue, a stealth vessel under Neo's command.

Lord Djibril
    Leader of Blue Cosmos, an anti-Coordinator political pressure group. His faction is known for shady actions, and so is he.

Joseph Copeland
    President of the Atlantic Federation. Djibril's puppet, he has little influence of his own.

Mayu Asuka
    Shinn's younger sister. Tragically, she died during the war with the rest of his family.

Sato
    Leader of the terrorists who wanted to drop the Junius Seven colony on Earth. Mad from grief and rage at the loss of his family. Killed in action.

Yuna Roma Seiran
    Young politician of an Orb noble house. He is arrogant and self-confident, but has little skill to back that up. Yet, for some reason he was engaged to Cagalli.

Unato Ema Seiran
    Yuna's father. A powerful and influential Orb noble.

Todaka
    Captain in Orb's navy. He hates dishonorable actions, but values loyalty to his country first and foremost.

Baba
    Leader of Orb's Murasame mobile suit squad.

Arnold Neumann and Dalida Lolaha Chandra the Second
    Archangel's bridge operators.

Koijro Murdoch
    Archangel's chief engineer.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-10-09 at 03:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Doitdoitdoitdoit avenge my failure at SRWJ.

Also voting for Sexuko Setsuko route, though I am okay with your dual-routes idea as long as you are.

Also, CCA doesn't have an OP sequence, but it does have a great opening title song, which a friend and I edited down to the interesting part.

Also, Prime32, in Alpha Gaiden, you can buy Eagail at the bazaar; your argument is invalid.

Would have liked to see maybe an MP Nu there, though...
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-10 at 07:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

If you feel that doing both and then splitting later on wouldn't be a problem, that would be great and at least the early missions would be quick to go through.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I'm all for runing the two paths simultaneously at first.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for playing both parts at once. No rest for Cubey!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    @T.G Oskar: I will deliver divine justice on that guy regardless of which route we're on. Trust me.
    Ah, much appreciated. The sole idea of...well, I won't mention it for spoilers, but for those who don't care about spoilers and/or have already seen the LP from Oslecamo:

Spoiler
    Show
    The sole idea of Asakim Dowim, also known as Evil Masaki, having hsi way while poor, poor Setsuko is mind-raped is truly unforgivable. Not even the spiral power of the Dai-Gurren team is enough to satisfy the need for justice that could compensate the horrors that this aberration of existence places on poor Setsuko.

Which, in case you haven't noticed: Asakim is the final boss in the Setsuko route, or at least a major antagonist. In Rand's route, he works a bit more like...well, whaddya know, a bit like Shu Shirakawa, known traitor and part-time worshiper of Shiva Volkruss.

Also, observant people may notice the lack of Daitarn 3 from both lists. This is because Daitarn doesn't appear until midgame is over. But Haran Banjou himself is important in both routes. He's just that badass.
    Question!

Does Banjo Haran keeps his Ace bonus as he has in SRW A, or does his Ace bonus changes? That is quite probably the sickest Ace bonus a character can get, even though the Daitarn isn't as powerful as other units.

Though, I hadn't recognized you didn't mention Daitarn, when Zambot 3 is on the list. Then again, maybe it is because of my quite limited list of A-plus units I would prefer having around, plus some acquired tastes (*coughcoughDendrobiumcoughcough*)
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

More work for cubey for our amusement? Of course I pick 'play both of them!'
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

SRW Z has done with ace bonuses altogether - people with over 50 kills get +5 morale at the start of the battle, that's all. And your top ace gets another +5 atop of that.

But instead, it has squad leader bonuses: each character has a different one, and as long as they are the leader of a three-person squad, everyone in the squad receives the bonus. Haran Banjou gets +10% accuracy and crit rate - pretty standard, if you ask me, nothing special. And that's the only thing that is "nothing special" about him.

Some of the most badass squad leader bonuses are the Getter guys' (S rank for air/ground/water for Ryouma, Hayato and Benkei respectively - both unit rating and weapon rating), Roger's (+30% crit rate) and Kei's (+20% damage on male and sexless enemies, -20% on female - which translates to +20% damage with the exception of some choice bosses). Roger is, of course, Roger Smith from Big O, and Kei is the main character from Orguss. Yes, he's a perv.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-11 at 02:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Also, Prime32, in Alpha Gaiden, you can buy Eagail at the bazaar; your argument is invalid.
    Unlocking it stops you from getting most of the other secrets, including the Gundam DX's third pilot and G-Bits attack. And ol' Hammerhead is no Great Zeorymer.

Note that Roger Smith has a "Negotiator" skill in this game which reduces repair costs after battle. In addition to piloting a robot with mile-thick armor and giant piledrivers for arms. And being Batman.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-11 at 07:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Both routes at the same time of course. What do you mean I didn't do it myself on my OG2 LP?

Anyway, motivation for me to find a way to upload my newest update with crappy instable dial up.

And +1 for Xabungle rage. In @Gaiden it was simply humiliating our elite machines had to fight side by side with those "rust buckets"(as the main characters themselves call them) for so many missions. The closest thing to a redeeming factor was their self-parody lines.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-11 at 06:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

While i don't mind having to watch the beginning of both routes, it will be more work on you Cubey. So it is only if you really don't mind that i support it. Which i guess means that Cubey get full reign over my vote for this.

As for who to vote for as lead character, it is quite hard for me. On one hand i did play through the game as Setsuko and got the best ending for her there. On the other hand the only shows among those Rand runs around with in the middle part that i care about are Big O, which shows how you can make a super robot show i'd like, and Gundam X, i don't really like the Gunleon and Rand's expressions terrify me. They make Xabungle characters look normal in comparison. So i think that in the end i still vote for the poor, abused, but quite sexy girl. Setsuko gets my vote...to no one's great surprise.

And there is another important thing to remember about Baldios. It's from the Ideon school of how to make super robot shows, which means it has an incredibly depressing ending. In fact it was so depressing that the executives made them make a movie improving things afterwards. But the show ended with all life on Earth killed and this is a show where humans aren't colonizing space.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Rand's expressions terrify me.
    I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-11 at 08:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Unlocking it stops you from getting most of the other secrets, including the Gundam DX's third pilot and G-Bits attack. And ol' Hammerhead is no Great Zeorymer.
    You're thinking of Corin and his 3x Faster Kapool (which really only disqualifies you from Tiffa and the G-bits - those are the things you have to give everyone else up for). Eagail you can just buy outright, and it makes a great upgrade for Sochie or Poe, if you did in fact not get Corin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

If you don't use Rand, his hot loli and the Orgasmatron formally known as Aquarion, I'll do... something.

Rand is too awesome not to use.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

You use Aquarion on Setsuko's route too, just not as much as you do on Rand's route. You can even unlock that other Aquarion on both routes, the one piloted solely by girls...a secret that Cubey must get. Not only is it a pretty good unit, but how can i resist an Aquarion piloted solely by girls?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Solely by girls? What about the guy with the glasses? Not this one.

Although you can swap pilots around, so I guess it's possible to give it a fully female crew.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

The guy with glasses becomes a subpilot if you get that grey Aquarion? I could have sworn it was the girl who looks depressed and male and two younger looking girls who got that one.