Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cyber soldier fighting tonight: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    Okay, I might have to watch that series. It has maids controlling flying robots. What's not to love?
    Eh, while the components are awesome, what I saw of the actual series was only average. Maybe it picks up after a while.

EDIT: By "average" I mean the parts without Sandman in them, of course.

EDIT2:
    Elgo Edge!
    "Edge", not "End"?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-27 at 06:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Cyber soldier fighting tonight: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

I see the Frost Brothers. Does that mean we'll finally see the Gundam X plot show up? Although, as to how they got a hold of Tifa this time, I have no clue. I take it the Freeden didn't have enough firepower without Garrod?

Also, seeing the number of Real Robot series appear in Rand's route and the number of Super Robot series show up for Setsuko's route, I now have no clue which route was supposed to be which. Nor do I care really.
    Last edited by catchthesun; 2010-08-27 at 10:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by catchthesun View Post
    Also, seeing the number of Real Robot series appear in Rand's route and the number of Super Robot series show up for Setsuko's route, I now have no clue which route was supposed to be which. Nor do I care really.
    The route is usually determined by the main character's mech, actually. So Rand is supposed to have the Super Robot route because Gunleon is a Super Robot, while Setsuko has the Real Robot route because she has the Balgora as a mech.

Though, I believe this is a mere inversion of the rules. Usually, both routes have Supers and Reals, but one side predominates over the other: main Super gets a good variety of Supers, while a main Real gets a sizable amount of Real Robots in the lineup (usually, a main Super Robot character gets one of the Mazingers and perhaps Getter, while the Real Robot side gets one or two Gundam units).

However, if it helps: Super Robot routes are usually loaded with comic relief characters (*coughcoughDragonarcoughcough*), while the Real Robot route has the serious ones.

As for the actual amount thus far:
    Rand: not sure if Xabungle and the Sandrats count as real robots, but King Gainer definitely should count as a Super (albeit a fast Super and not a tank Super), odd as it is surrounded by Reals (the Panzers). Gundam X and Turn A are Reals, that's for sure, and they settle the Gundam series for the route thus far.

Setsuko: so far, only the Balgoras are Real Robots as far as I can see. Grendizer, the spacers, Zambo Ace, and now Gravion...that's a heckuva lot of Supers they got, so the Glory Stars are mostly the odd guys in the group. Unless the Nirvash units from Eureka Seven count as Reals, in any case.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Walker Machines from Xabungle are very real robots - they work on gasoline and are extremely low-tech. Any weird abilities they might possess are the result of Rule of Funny.

King Gainer has two kinds of mecha: Silhouette Engines, which are reals, and Overmen, which are supers (though they're still dodgers in this game). It's easy to figure out which ones are which.

LFOs are reals, though their construction is a bit unusual as far as reals go. They're on Rand's route though, not Setsuko's.

Don't forget SEED Destiny and Zeta Gundam on Setsuko's route.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

And those Zeta and SEED Destiny people also count as reals, right, T. G. Oskar? I know they aren't around right at this moment, but they are still on that route.

Also the map with the Nirvash and other Eureka Seven units was on Rand's route, not Setsuko's.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

I think Elgo End is a different Gravion attack, one that Touga unlocks later. I could be wrong - romanization is a tricky thing. To start with, is this supposed to be Elgo, or Ergo? The latter is even a real life word.

This game does funny things to Gundam X's plot - like Xabungle, it starts mid-series and throws in a lot of complications. But yes, the series gets importance soon. We won't be seeing Freeden's crew for a few missions yet, however: we're in Ameria (totally not America), but it's Inglessa and not Fort Severn.

This game has a fair mixup of Reals and Supers, both for Rand and Setsuko. Note that series that appeared so far on each route are not the same series that will get plot importance in mid-game: for example, Turn A appears on Rand's route, but it will be important on Setsuko's. The distinction is not along the Real/Super lines, but rather between military organisation members and free spirits.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    I think Elgo End is a different Gravion attack, one that Touga unlocks later. I could be wrong - romanization is a tricky thing. To start with, is this supposed to be Elgo, or Ergo? The latter is even a real life word.
    Edge would sound like "Ejji". He definitely says something ending in an "o" sound.

The English dub uses "Elgo" and "Elgo End", for what it's worth (though Touga shouts "Combination Elgo" rather than "Elgo Form")

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

I've read the kana and indeed, it's Elgo End.

Oh well, at least I got the Graviton Sword bit right, huh?

(Italics "huh" == Tommy Wiseau, by the way.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-28 at 08:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Wait, you mean SEED Destiny is a real robot series?

(I seem to recall an interview with Mitsuo Fukuda where he states that he wants to take Gundam back to its roots, you know, like Combattler V.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

It's more real than Gundam Wing. Okay, let me try that again.

It's more real than G Gundam. How's that? No?

Anyway, for the interested: updated the character sheet. It even has some characters and facts that didn't make an appearance yet. Keep your eyes peeled!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-28 at 01:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Wait, you mean SEED Destiny is a real robot series?

(I seem to recall an interview with Mitsuo Fukuda where he states that he wants to take Gundam back to its roots, you know, like Combattler V.)
    Wait, how is it not a Real Robot series?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Wait, how is it not a Real Robot series?
    While the robots are mostly Real-types (even Strike Freedom, for all its insane mook-killing, is technologically logical in the context of the show), the show very much seems to run on Super Robot logic. No one dies when their robot explodes, only when the dramatic arc says they will (or their voice actor quits) - this even applies to mooks and minor characters. Named characters (Kira) can do whatever they feel like in combat without any concern for physical feasibility because They're Doing What's Right. Flawless Victory for the heroes in the end with minimal challenge. Any morally grey issues are sorted immediately into black or white because CAGALLI IS CRYING. Etc.

And then there's the Impulse combination thing, which was silly even when ZZ and V2 did it.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-28 at 01:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

Lookit, it's an update! And a big one to that - Setsuko's mission is quite short this time (but not uneventful, on the contrary!), but Rand's... hoo boy. This is the mission of Rand's earlygame: long, full of secrets, and hard, hard, HARD. I even had to start it over due to a sudden case of game over and Turn A exploding. Shame I didn't record it - tell me if you're interested in hilarious outtakes like that, and if I get interest I'll record similar shanenigans in the future!

Also, tell me if you have any trouble viewing my videos. It could be just me, but some of them stop at random points and require refreshing the browser.

==============

Chapter 7: Goddess of the Moon

Intermission time, and this time I have some tampering to do. A squad's speed is the average of its members' speed, so switching the booster from Rand to Garrod speeds up the Gundam X group to 6 from 5, without slowing down the Gunleon.

Introduction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gainer: I wonder what's going to happen now...
    Loran: Let's hope a war won't spark out over a single incident like that!

Fran: Loran! There you are!
    Loran: Ah, it's Fran Doll!

Fran: War is beginning, you know!
    Loran: Whaaat!
    Fran: Sorry, just kidding... but these friends of yours, the strange looking ones...
    Bello: Hey, we're not strange!
    Fran: They were the ones who pilotted the mobile suits that helped us out last night, right? The governor wants to see them! It's about peace talks with the Moonrace!
    Loran: Really? That's great news!
    Kihel: Oh, Loran! I was looking everywhere for you. Sochie... Sochie ran away. And everyone in town is talking about damage done last night! I fear for my family!
    Loran: Urk... bad news, good news, bad, good... will the cycle ever stop?
    Gain: Don't worry miss. We will handle this. The Black Southern Cross isn't all talk - we will have nothing but peace as far as the eye can see.

At the same time, the non-Gainer part of the group was somewhere else. To be precise, nearby mountains...

Mail: Wow, look at all these excavations!
    Rand: So THAT is what they needed Gunleon for, huh?

Joseph: Hey! Make yourselves useful or get out of the way of those who work!
    Rand: Is that a way to treat guys who help you?
    Joseph: Eh, sorry... everyone is just very busy. We must excavate more mobile suits for our Militia to defend the city against the Moonrace! You should talk with old man Sid if you want to help.

Jiron: Woah, I can barely see in these caverns! Are you sure mobile suits are kept in here?

Sid: Yes. It's called a Mountain Cycle - buried here are relics from Black History. Ordinarily, we wouldn't dream of digging up the past, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Sochie: Grr, that damn Moonrace... I will have my vengeance.

Miashei: Sochie, wait! You can't dig crazily like that!
    Sochie: I need a mobile doll of my own to kill as many Moonrace as I can!
    Rag: Hey, look at Fatman go!

Fatman: *digs at crazy speeds*
    Cling!
    Fatman: Huh?
    Jiron: Woah, we hit something metal!
    Sid: It looks... like a giant piece of armor. A shield?

Guin: Thank you for coming. I am glad that the Black Southern Cross and his companions can assist our home town. Let me be straightforward - we need you for protection.
    Gain: Oh? Against the Moonrace, I presume?
    Guin: Something like that. There won't be a battle taking place tonight, but a ball. We hope for peace talks to continue, not for war. So we must make a good impression on them. But we also need you around in case of... incidents. And speaking of good impressions, we found the pilot of the White Doll! Thanks to miss Heim, she will be attending the ball as well.
    Kihel: Everyone's ready. Please, come in.
    Guin: I present you, miss Laura Rola.

"Laura": Umm, pleased to meet you.
    Gainer: !!
    Gain: P... pfft! Why was I drinking at the moment?
    Sara: Hey, it's Loran! But why is he in drag?
    Guin: Loran? I'd say he looks more like a Laura, wouldn't you say?
    Laura: Sir Guin...
    Guin: Besides, we must show how strong and open-minded Earth is. Even our fair ladies are powerful enough to pilot the White Doll!
    Gainer: I recall reading... a fanfic like that...
    Guin: Ah, one more thing. There are several annoying, bossy people around that I would prefer you to take care of...

Garrod: You!

Ennil: Oh, the little boy from before. I didn't forget about your debt to me, Garrod.
    Garrod: Are you here want to fight me, Ennil En?
    Ennil: No, I was just hired to protect a certain person. Someone... close to you, perhaps?
    Garrod: Tiffa? Tiffa is here?!
    Ennil: Oops, my loose tongue. Oh well, I said nothing, remember that.
    Garrod: Thanks, Ennil!
    Ennil: You still have to return your debt, boy. Your Gundam will be mine. Your Gundam... or you.

That evening...
    Shagia: These guards you found would better be trustworthy, Lineford.
    Guin: Of course they are. The central government has nothing to worry about.

Mikhail: Sir, the Moonrace are here!

Phil: So, that's how a barbarian city looks like? So crude and primitive...
    Poe: Sir! The White Doll is there too! It's the unit that gave us trouble before!

Harry: The legendary White Doll, huh? And its pilot, I presume?
    Laura: Yes, kind sir. My name is Laura Rolla.
    Harry: Laura Rolla? I like that name.
    Gain: They're buying it, it seems. We'll stay aside for now and hope our friend can make it in time...
    Garrod: Now's my chance! Wait for me, Tiffa!

Harry: You are a graceful lady, Laura Rolla. May I ask you for a dance?
    Laura: By all means. But... is Queen Dianna not here?
    Harry: She should be arriving later. No offense intended, but we have to make sure nobody prepared a trap for Her Highness.
    Phil: Hmph. You can never trust the Earth barbarians. I bet the lights will go out any time now.

Phil: Called it! It's an assassination attempt!
    Laura: N... no! The power went out, that's all!
    Phil: Everyone, out! The peace talks are cancelled!

Garrod: Tiffa!

Garrod: Tiffa, I finally found you!
    Tiffa: Garrod...
    Ennil: Not one step. My gun's aiming at your beloved's head!
    Garrod: Ennil En! Why you... I thought you were on our side!
    Ennil: Did you forget, I was still hired to protect Tiffa? And there was a catch - if I can't prevent her from being taken away, I am to make sure she never gets out alive. Now, stay away.
    Garrod: TIFFFFFAAA!
    Bang!
    Tiffa: Huh?
    Gain: Step away from the little lady, miss. My next shot will do more than just break your gun.
    Ennil: Hmph. I won't forget this! See you, boy!
    Garrod: Damn that Ennil! I can't believe this!
    Gain: She didn't look like she wanted to kill any of you. But, we must get out now!
    Garrod: Right! Tiffa, let's go!
    Tiffa: Okay.

Shagia: I cannot let you do that, Garrod.
    Garrod: Damn! The Frosts, and my Gundam is away!
    Gain: I'll snipe 'em. You get Tiffa out of here!
    Laura: I won't let anyone hurt innocents!
    Shagia: Oh? You're uppity, girl.
    Olba: Know your place. What do we do, Brother?
    Shagia: Let's stay back for a while and let our forces handle this. It's only one unit.
    Phil: What the hell is going out there now? Get our machines ready, we're leaving!

So, our hard mission starts! The Daughtress Neo mooks that accompany the Frosts are not too tough, and they have only beam weapons so the I Field should protect the Turn A. But on the other hand, my single unit sucks against air targets. Loran, pardon me, Laura is in for a tough ride.

Laura: You guys! Pacifist Punch!
    NUNE pilot: Damn you, Gundam!

And yes, these mooks are voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama, just like Midifos. They don't scream that much though.

There's not a lot "Laura" can do other than try to chip off enemy HP bit by bit (or use the Beam Rifle, but I'll need that for later). The enemies can't really hurt the Turn A in return either. It's a stalemate, at least until turn 3...

Gain: The Iron Gear is here!

Rand: Garrod, Gain, sorry to keep you waiting! Alright everyone, let's do this!
    Sochie: Time for my debut!
    Laura: Lady Sochie, you are here?
    Sochie: Yeah! I will have vengeance for what happened to me! Father was killed by the Moonrace, heads will roll now!
    Laura: Please, try to calm down!
    Miashei: And I am here too. Why are you dressed up as a woman? Here, we brought you some new things old man Sid excavated.
    Jiron: And a change of clothes apparently, because Banpresto was too lazy to draw "Laura" cut-ins!
    Garrod: Tiffa, stay on board of Iron Gear, I'll handle this!
    Ennil: Let me teach you a thing or two about handling, little Garrod...

So yeah. Turn A gets its first upgrade, and it is not terribly weak anymore! In fact, it is quite nice now. Its anti-air performance is better too, about time because almost all damn units in this chapter are flying. Sochie and Miashei join Loran's squad in their Kapools - they're decent support units (unlike Alpha Gaiden where Kapools sucked), and they resupply energy too.

Lastly, Ennil and her Jenice Custom are here. If I want a nice Gundam X-related secret (and I want it!), I must make sure my units shoot her down. Let's get to work on that. I'm moving around the battle screen a bit, because Dreams is an awesome theme to let you get a full scope of the situation.

Jiron: Hey, my group's attack was offscreen? No fair!
    Loran: I will make good use of weapons miss Sochie and Miashei brought me! What's this? Beam Saber?
    NUNE pilot: You didn't finish me off and it will be your doom! Doom I tell you! Umm... I'll be running off now...
    Mail: Don't let that kid steal all our spotlight, Darling! The Heat is here too!

Turn A's upgrade does not dissuade enemy mooks from desperate attempts at harming it. For which they pay dearly in counterattacks.
    Sochie: Loran, look! It's the Moonrace!
    Phil: Her Majesty will be here soon! Destroy everything that may be a danger to her!
    Harry: Laura Rolla, can you hear me? You fascinate me... let's see if your White Doll is a match for my gold SUMO!
    Loran: I am a... uhh, nevermind.

The Skill Point objective is revealed now, and trust me - it's hard. I have time until turn 6 (and it's turn 3, enemy phase now) to destroy Harry, Shagia and Olba. To make matters more fun, losing Iron Gear or Turn A results in immediate game over, and all of my targets have enough firepower to down the latter in one lucky shot.

Ennil: Don't run away, Garrod!
    Garrod: Ennil - you stay still, I'll make it quicker!
    Olba: A white Gundam, how amusing...

While Olba and his Ashtaron HC Gundam go straight for my forces (he likes battleships most), Shagia is moseying around the back, making it harder to reach him. Very funny. And to make it funnier, the Moonrace are trying to ruin a secret for me and shoot Ennil down in a classical foe-vs-foe scenario.

Things are starting to look pretty bad for a moment there. Garrod and Jiron are blocked off from the main enemy force by a WaDom that blocks an intersection.
    Garrod: I'll finish Ennil off! Wait a sec, that didn't do it?
    And scanning reveals that indeed, the bosses of this level are strong and plentiful in HP. Especially Harry. Must be the epic sunglasses.

Rand: Don't give up! Just focus on one target at a time - Gunleon, go!
    Bello: Wow, I can't believe I actually hit that guy!
    Olba: Hmm, this isn't over yet. Prepare yourself!

Olba is not down yet, but I think I'll be able to fix that next turn. And I better would - running out of time here. There is also a fair number of enemy mooks, both New United Nations Earth and Moonrace, but really... we're talking mooks here.
    Loran: I can use the Beam Saber like this too!
    NUNE pilot: I didn't know my attack even counted as a melee weapon!

Garrod: Ennil, why are you doing this?!
    Ennil: Hmph, the machine is trashed. I'll be back!
    Shagia: Olba, you destroy the enemy landship. I'll focus on Moonrace WaDs. Because I can.

Jiron: Speaking of Moonrace, it's my time to shine! Chiru, let's go! We'll handle these two WaDoms all by ourselves!

Garrod: I can't let them throw the X around like that. Everyone! Time for an all-out attack!
    Poe: I'm here too! I'll destroy the White Doll this time for sure!
    Phil: Target the ridiculous-looking Earth machines!
    Harry: And I will take care of Laura.
    Miashei: I know I'm defending Loran out of my own free will, but... oww.

Gainer: This is not a game but... we'll do it just like in a game! Cover me, Loran, King Gainer is going in!
    Sara: Hey, we're the ones covering you all the time already!
    Olba: Amazing... I'm in trouble here!
    Loran: Why do you insist on fighting for the sake of it? Take this!
    Olba: Argh! I cannot die on Brother yet. We'll meet again, Garrod Ran.
    Elche: Great, Iron Gear's Potan Cannon wiped out all the annoying flies!
    Cotset: I'll learn that thing's full name eventually!

Rand: Alright, let's focus on Shining Boy now. Eat my Giant Wrench!
    Harry: Urk... for the sake of Queen Dianna, I cannot fail here. I FIELD BARRIER!
    Jiron: Wow, he talks like a super robot pilot!
    Gain: And... one from me and the guys. And by one, I mean a hail of gunfire!
    Harry: Damn! The White Doll's allies are strong indeed!

Two out of three bosses down. Shagia's Virsago CB Gundam is mostly unharmed, but we can focus all our power on him alone! My pilots are low on SP, but at least we have plenty of time, right?
    How much time do I have again?
    ONE TURN.

Shagia: I'll show you why this unit is known as "Chest Break".
    Gain: Heh, I guess I can do amazing things at times. And for my next trick, crucifying a WaDom! With bullets.
    DC soldier: How is that even possible!

Garrod: Alright guys, one last push! I'll open up with the Divider... crap!
    Jiron: Loran! Use any weapon, as long as it means I can support you with my bazooka! That's how this game works!
    Loran: This isn't a game!
    Shagia: What an amusing attack. I'll leave it to you, Olba.

Didn't Shagia notice that Olba was shot down already? Oh well... he can join his younger brother soon enough.

Rand: Giant Wrench special, again! All yours, Jiron!
    Jiron: Leave it to me! Gallia, full power!

No skill point yet, because I have to actually survive until the 6th turn ends. Or I could try to shoot down Phil's Almeyer, but that battleship is tough AND deadly, so let's wait out. Or, I could target the other remaining unit...

Gainer: Go for the scarecrow!
    Poe: Argh! Don't screw around! That's it, firing on the moustache!
    Loran: Sorry, but I can't let you do that. I'll use the hammer!
    Poe: Why me, again!

Garrod: Phew! Somehow, we did it.
    Loran: I... can't take this anymore! Why is everyone fighting rather than talking? There should be peace. Listen, everyone. I am... I am!
    Gain: Uh oh. Loran, this is not the best time for...

Loran: I am a MOONRACE! I came to Earth two years ago. My mission was to see if Earth is habitable again... if everyone can return here and leave in peace! But neither Moonrace nor Earthrace is my enemy. Only those who do not respect and waste others' lives, these are my enemy!
    Sochie: Loran... is a Moonrace? Can't be...
    ???: I am deeply moved.
    Harry: Your Majesty!

Dianna: I, Dianna Soreil, am moved by your honesty. To speak with such pure words! I see it now - the peace negotiations must continue, no matter what!

Milan: Is that wise, your Majesty?
    Dianna: Yes. I am convinced.
    Loran: Her Majesty Dianna... Dianna Soreil is here?
    Olba: Hmph. What do we do now, Brother?
    Shagia: It seems the Central Government lost its support in Inglessa. We should return and report.

Elche: So, it all turned out okay. Sir Guin, you did right in getting our help!

Guin: You are right, lady Elche. And we managed to shake off those two annoying men and their influence, too. I am thinking about making our cooperation more permanent. Inglessa could use brave men and women who would help us in times of trouble that are sure to come soon. What do you think, lady Elche?
    Elche: Can't talk... too busy swooning...

Loran: Miss Sochie...
    SMACK!
    Loran: Ow!

Sochie: Don't talk to me like that! You stupid Loran... you were Moonrace and didn't tell us anything all that time? How dare you! The Moonrace killed my father and ruined our family home! I will never forgive you!
    Loran: M... milady...
    Garrod: Hey, cheer up! No matter what happened earlier, you said the truth!
    Gain: Yeah. It takes balls to admit something like that in front of everyone. And it changed the situation for the better.
    Gainer: I know how Sochie feels, but she has no right to treat you that badly. You are only trying to help.
    Loran: Thanks... everyone...

Intermission time! Not only did Turn A Gundam join our ranks permanently, we have quite a collection of new items to equip! And most importantly, because I shot down Shagia or Olba (or both, as it may be the case...), there's something new at the Bazaar.

Garrod: Hmm, I didn't really have time to sightsee. I wish I could buy Tiffa a present or something!
    Jiron: Hey, Garrod! What about this silver locket on sale here?
    Garrod: Great idea! Let's do it!
    Mail: Hey, what do you have there?
    Garrod: Present for Tiffa!
    Rand: A locket? You think she'll like the design? It looks kinda... gaudy.
    Garrod: Damn, you think so Rand? I'll have to rethink this idea... eh, it wasn't too expensive anyway.

The locket doesn't do anything as of yet, but I can combine it with several other trinkets I get later to receive a special item. And yes, that's another secret.

Next chapter: A joint training exercise stumbles upon guests from a weird land! Could a half-feral boy be the reincarnation of a mythical hero?

==============

Chapter 7: Moonlight, Tainted by Rage

Not much to do during the intermission. Duke Fleed is the top dog for now (no surprise), and the only item I can equip gives an S rating in space. We're not going to space yet, so let's just start the scenario.

Introduction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kappei: Hehehe... let's go, Chonishiki!
    Luna: Hey! Don't run around the hanger, you can fall!

Kappei: I'm happy dad returns from the sea soon, you know!
    Luna: Your dad, huh?
    Kappei: Yeah! He was excavating something from the sea floor. But the townspeople don't like that. They always blame us for everything bad that happens! Especially that monster attack! They say it's the Jin family's fault! I feel like raging now!
    Luna: Uh oh... let's see how Eiji's training is going...

Same time, on deep seas:

Gengoroh: We'll be home soon. Glad we finished it all in time. All of King Bael's component parts are safe on board now, right?

Toshiya: Right you are, Captain! Thanks for letting me be here. This is good exercise for my martial training! And I don't have anything to do while professor Kazami works on that new energy source, anyway.

And, back to land!

Toria: No good! Your G-Factor is too weak. At this rate, Gravion will crush you with pressure!
    Eiji: I know, I know, dammit...

Eiji: I know I suck at this. I must get better, right? Or else I won't ever see my sister.
    Luna: Eiji...
    Eiji: Hey, I'm not trying to angst, okay? I'm just angry that even a little girl like you has better physical scores than me!
    Luna: What was that supposed to mean? Stupid Eiji!
    Kouji: Phew, saved my ass there... I was going to make the same comment. Now the tsundere wrath falls away from me! Reminds me of Sayaka... she can be scary.

Touga: Oh? Hello, little one! Don't be afraid!

Lolotte: Ki! Ki!
    Eiji: Huh? Whatcha got there, Touga?
    Touga: Eiji, look! Some small animal is here! It looks like a ferret! How did it get here? Is it lost?
    Leele: Lolotte! Where are you? Uhm... hello...
    Eiji: Hey there. Is this yours?
    Leele: Yes, Lolotte is my friend...
    Touga: Ah! The mystery is solved! I am Tenkuji Touga, can you tell me your name?
    Eiji: You're just too friendly, aren't you?
    Leele: Umm, it's Leele.
    Sandman: Wait! Gentlemen, remember to offer gratitude to this young lady. She is the one who saved you against the Zeravire. For she is the one who pilotted the G-Shadow!
    Touga: Oh! Is that true?
    Leele: Yes...
    Eiji: For a big guy, Sandman sure can sneak... huh? Where is he now?

Kazami: The town is lively today. I saw huge crowds of people gathering by the Jin residence. I hope they won't interrupt our research.

Julie: Do not worry, Professor. We are ahead of schedule. The Space Emperor is bound for a test flight today.

Rie: Trinity Energy... I hope it will be used to solve the energy crisis, and not taken by the Federation to use for war.
    Kazami: I'm more worried that Federation will come here chasing after Blue Fixer. They used the latest opportunity to turn independent, remember? Well, us scientists have to stick together...

Kozuki: The Jin ship is here! Go away! You don't belong here!
    Citizens: Yeah! It's your fault the city got ruined! I heard the Jins aren't even human!
    Gengoroh: We're in a pickle now...
    Toshiya: Wait, everyone! Don't look around for scapegoats, people! Blame the aliens, they're the ones who destroyed your houses!
    Citizens: The Jin family ARE the aliens!

Kappei: Damn these bastards! We save their asses and they yell at my old man like that! Chonishiki, find dad!
    Aki: Kappei, where are you going?
    Kappei: To Zambo Ace!
    Michi: Uh-oh... that sounds like a bad idea.
    Aki: Kappei! No, wait!

Kappei: I won't harm anyone, I'll just scare them a little. Jump! Fall! Hahaha!
    Citizens: Aah! Let's get out of here!
    Gengoroh: Kappei, what are you doing in Zambo Ace?
    Kozuki: Damn Kappei, bossing around in a robot again! Let's get them!
    Kozuki's friend: Gang, attack! Treat us like kids and you'll be sorry!

Uchuuta: Punch! Owned.

Keiko: Kick!
    Kozuki's friend: Damn! I'm out of here!
    Uchuuta: Hey, Kappei! We're your cousins.
    Keiko: What do you think you're doing, using a giant robot against the population? This is not what we're supposed to be doing!

Kukki: She is right. Our force had the situation under control.
    Kappei: I just saved you, can't you see that? Fine, I'm out of here!
    Quinstein: It looks like the Jins are having some troubles after all...
    Getsuei: It's the alarm!
    Kappei: If the locals hate us, then they can defend against the aliens themselves. Good-bye!

Toshiya: Oh no! We have no weapons to use against these things! Unless... I have an idea!

Toshiya: Julie! Let me use the Space Emperor!
    Julie: Absolutely not! It wasn't tested yet. What if the power source explodes?
    Toshiya: Would you prefer these people to die?!
    Julie: If you act recklessly, you will die and then they will follow!
    Kazami: Have some trust in my creations, Julie. The Emperor will be fine. Go, Toshiya - just don't get my machine totally scrapped.
    Toshiya: Thanks, Professor!

Toshiya: The power source is steady! Alright - watch me, evil monsters!

And you thought Grendizer had a cheesy 80s theme. The Space Emperor is very weak (as fitting of a component machine for a larger robot), but it's pretty sturdy. The Skill Point here is to kill at least 2 enemies by the end of second turn. Compared to some other requirements I had to pass - a piece of cake.

Toshiya: They're coming! In that case - Gurei Cutter!

If you find Toshiya's voice to be sounding familiar, then you are absolutely right.

Toshiya: Godsigma Finger! That was the last one of 'em! No, wait - there's the last one, it ran away!
    Keiko: We'll handle this!
    Uchuuta: Right! Feel my power, Mechaboost!
    Toshiya: Nice one, kids! Uh oh... enemy reinforcements!
    Uchuuta and Keiko: Aah!
    Ichitaroh: Zambull and Zambase are immobilised! What do we do?
    Kappei: Fine, I'm back...
    Gengoroh: Kappei, even if people don't trust you, you'll have to help them anyway. If we just let them to die, we'll be as evil as the Gaizock!
    Kappei: Grumble, mumble...
    Gengoroh: Also, I trust in you Kappei. This is why your cousins are here - their machines can combine with yours to form an even more powerful robot!
    Toshiya: Do it, Kappei! I'll hold this thing at bay!

Kappei: Ready? Then we'll do it. Combine, Zambot 3!
    Uchuuta: The power systems are working!
    Keiko: And sensors are functional!
    Kappei: Now we'll show these Gaizock who's boss!
    Heizaemon: King Bael still has no weapons, so we'll scaddadle. Good luck!

Good-bye, Zambo Ace, and hello, Zambot 3! It's tough, strong, and many of its attacks are surprisingly energy-efficient. And of course, it has three pilots. To ease up on enemy cleanup, the rest of my team is here too.

Hikaru: Huh? Zambo Ace looks different now...
    Kouji: Combination is a man's soul! Wait, that wasn't my line...
    Eiji: I feel all fired up now! Let's take these guys out with teamwork!
    Duke: Why do I see Vegan units among the Gaizock Mechaboosts? Are they in alliance? It cannot be...

There's a secret in this mission - unless I want a Bad Thing to happen later in Zambot 3 plot, I should make sure Kappei destroys at least 5 enemies.

Toshiya: Kappei! I've weakened that one thing, finish it off!
    Kappei: Right! Zambot 3, go! Die, Mechaboost!

Okay, this time it didn't work, but the unit is weakened so it'll just die on a counterattack or something. And scoring at least 5 kills is easy, because many of them are...

Evil Nobuyuki Hiyama Alien: We meet again, Duke Fleed! This time, your noble but vain efforts are for naught because you will fall before the power of evil AAAAH!

Keiko: Watch out, Kappei! The enemy is closing in!
    Uchuuta: Use the Moon Attack!
    Kappei: You don't have to tell me that. Let's do it!

That was a pretty good, if lengthy, showoff of Zambot's attacks, I'd say.

Kappei: One more! Zambot Buster!

Speaking of attacks we didn't see yet...
    Vegan: Why you! One day, victory will be mine, I SWEAR!

I'm sorry to say, but the Glory Stars didn't do a whole lot in this mission. Most of it takes place above the sea - most of my units can fly so it's not a problem, but Balgoras are an exception. They cannot fly AND they suck underwater. So all they could do is stay behind, and ineffectually damage a two-headed dinosaur-thingie once. Damage, not destroy. I'm really sorry.

Eiji: Touga! Leave it to us! The Gran Diva units can fight too!
    Touga: Roger. Everyone, attack.

Uchuuta: Last one. Don't fall asleep, Kappei!
    Keiko: Just use our finishing strike again!
    Kappei: Just watch me!

Setsuko: We did it! All enemies are destroyed!
    Toby: Actually, we did next to nothing. Single barrage of fire, remember?
    Denzel: We'll have to do better the next time. Or make Balgoras waterproof.
    Setsuko: Oh...

Kappei: Okay, now I will show him.

Kappei: Who's got a big robot now, huh? A big robot that saved your ass!
    Kozuki: Woah! You almost squashed me!
    Kappei: I heard that one before!
    Gengoroh: Kappei, no! I told you already. These robots are meant for protecting mankind, not fighting against it. Especially civilians!
    Kappei: Dad... but.. these people, they were threatening us, telling you to go home!
    Gengoroh: Yeah... you don't always get gratitude. It's a harsh world. I guess you'll have to live with that. Huh? What is it, Kappei?

Kappei: Uwaaaaah! Why are they so meaaaan....

Duke: Well, I'd say the situation was handled well.
    Kouji: Yeah! As long as a deus ex machina doesn't happen, we'll be juuust fine.

Sandman: Heroes of justice, I bring grave news! A terrorist attack is taking place as we speak! In the name of all that is good, we must stop it!
    Setsuko: This must be the worst week of my life...
    Eiji: Crap! Where is it, Sandman?
    Sandman: IN SPACE!
    Maria: Space? Our spazers can't go that high all by themselves!
    Duke: Grendizer will go there alone if there's a need!
    Henzaemon: That won't be necessary. King Bael, combine! Now, we have a space-capable carrier. Hop on board.
    Toshiya: Professor, I'll go too! The Space Emperor was made to help mankind!

Intermission time! The spoils of war include a single Screw Module (S rank in water - now, that would be useful before the mission), but we have new faces in the roster. Zambot 3 will stay combined from now on, and Space Emperor will lend whatever assistance it can. And lastly, some old friends are visible as plot units. I have a feeling we're up for a reunion.

Next chapter: Stop the diplomatic incident! Colony drops are a thing of the past!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-29 at 03:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Go Laura. Don't let them repress you, let out your inner girl for all to see! Stop being afraid of the reactions, you look great like that after all and once people get used to it, they might even start forgetting that you were born male!

And yeah, getting some Gundam action makes the Rand route a lot more awesome than before. Although, i doubt that the next Rand route mission can be more awesome than the Setsuko one. Especially not if Cubey is actually going for the biggest secret next time.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

In this LP I always choose the all-secrets way, no matter how painful it will be. The only secrets we'll be missing are those mutually exclusive with each other, or the ones I skip because I've chosen a different route split.

Also, I've updated the character sheets.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-29 at 02:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Harry got shot down while a theme played on bees was in the background? How appropriate. Also, remember to listen to this when Loran makes his announcement. Such a beautiful song.

Pity Zambot doesn't keep Zambo Ace's theme, I like it much more. Well, at least I have screaming aliens to cheer me up. And BAKUHETSU GODSIGMA FINGER. And Grendizer's Care Bear Stare. And Sandman's hamminess. And I'll stop now.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

In other news, you heard about their next SRW game, L, which will be the final DS game?

Sadly, still SEED/EW for Gundam, the same static portraits, and no Getter again.

On the bright side, it will have Evangelion (rebuild, of course), Macross Frontier, and going way back for Izcer-1 and -3.
    Last edited by SAMAS; 2010-08-29 at 04:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, everyone here did hear about it. It was discussed somewhere on the previous page.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Gotta lol at how Loran ignores his giant shield, puts away his gun, and draws a beam saber to block an attack.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I actually prefer the Zambot 3 theme. And the Zambot 3 in general. It fires rocket-fists. I have a soft spot for giant robots that fire rocket fists and are piloted by young boys. If Kappei was red-haired with an inexplicable German accent it'd be just about perfect.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

I think you will like Rand's route in 2 missions. A lot.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Loran's Sword Cut looks pretty impractical and slow, indeed. Unlike for example Quattro's - that guy is fast. But hey, at least it has spinning! That's what a fully revolving hand is for. That, and Gundam washing machines. This actually happened in canon. I kid you not.

Toric, I assume you're talking about the new Gaiking? Daiya's hair turns red only when he activates his Flame, not all the time, but it still sounds like that. Ah German accent. Evangelion. I am an idiot. Anyway, Zambot 3 is a pretty solid robot. It's oldschool, but I don't mind oldschool. I even don't mind the king of generic super robots, Godsigma Combattler V.

SAMAS:
    Yes, I heard about L. It's true that most series there are recycled from K and W, but I do not honestly mind very much. As far as spiritual SRW sequels are concerned (and this will be a spiritual sequel, just as W was to J and MX to IM), Banpresto usually either minimizes the plot importance of old series or twists a new spin on them. So it won't feel like a boring rehash.
    And I'm looking forward to the first time comers. Too bad there's no news about originals yet: they're the most important "series" after all. K was a let down in this department, try harder next time!
    Finally, I hope Banpresto will use this as an opportunity to keep good elements of K but modify bad ones. The partner system was great in my opinion, but K's version of chain attacks: URGH!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-30 at 07:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I was referring to Dexter's Laboratory actually.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Ah. That makes sense. Now I really do feel stupid.

In other news, the next update will be epic. It will also require a lot of work. So much footage taken... I even had to load once, but don't expect hilarious outtakes, because the fail was not of the hilarious kind.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think they ever showed it more than once here. The special where Dexter unleashes a kaiju while visiting Japan and gets his family to co-pilot a giant robot with him to defeat it, that is. ("Dexter family go! Dexter family go!")

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Which one?

This one?

Or this one? Look, he comes with a mech!

Also: lemme see if I can do something nice with something I found. Maybe you'll realize there are some odd associations around...

My father worked the mines until the day it took his life.
    It stole him from his only son and it stole him from his wife.
    And I swore upon his grave, someday I would make things right.

So I learned how to bend steel. I learned how to make it move,
    and I watched as it withstood all the hell we put men through.
    With hands of iron, there's not a task we couldn't do.

They've waited so long for this day,
    Someone to take the death away,
    No son would ever have to say,
    "My father worked into his grave."

: Tom, listen to yourself, then listen carefully to me.
    If you replace the working parts, you get a different machine.
    The man who turns the wheels, they will follow
    Anywhere he leads.

We've spent our whole lives searching
    For a way to make a better world.
    Giving everything to them, asking nothing in return.
    Well here it is: our chance to take back everything we've earned.

: They've waited so long for this day
    : (They've waited so long for this day)
    : Someone to take the death away
    : (There is no price they wouldn't pay)
    : No son would ever have to say,
    : (For someone else to lead them)
    : "My father worked into his grave."
    : (Don't turn your back on me!)

...Guess who'd be Megaman and who'd be Protoman. Darn you, Cubey!
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2010-08-31 at 07:06 PM.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

The former, I think - see "Last But Not Beast", the Season 2 finale.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Banned

That was beautiful. I think I have something in my eye.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    He has robots, combining ones even (look up the final episode, Last but not Beast)
    And Rand has nothing on Dexter
    Now back to the lab

Of note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Those who worked on Dexter's Lab went on to create their next projects; Craig McCracken created The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Seth MacFarlane created Family Guy, American Dad! and The Cleveland Show, Butch Hartman created The Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom and T.U.F.F. Puppy and Rob Renzetti created My Life as a Teenage Robot.
    While Genndy Tartakovsky created Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars (not the CG one).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-31 at 07:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

I can figure you're referring to the CN Dexter. Even though Bleedman's Dexter is levels of awesome, the fact that they're both the same kind of people should be reasonable enough.

The story that goes later on actually makes Bleedman's Dexter even more epic.
    On Lawful Good: