Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cyber soldier fighting tonight: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

Why does Hot Rod have James Bond's theme?

Also, Storywriter. I could listen to that track for ages. Mmm.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Default Re: Cyber soldier fighting tonight: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars ZEEEEET!

They are reefers? So does that mean the Gekkostate people are infected with madness as well?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quite fitting that the Marine Spazer/Grendizer combo attack was done against a creature in water. Though, I have the feeling it was meant to be done in the air, which brings its entire set of problems (like the air having a cloud-y animation).

Also, refreshing to see the Kappei alone, not without his partners. And using guns. REAL guns.

Wait, that last part is wrong. Sure, you can use a sword while being a pre-teen, but not one, two guns!?!? Not to mention one of them is actually has to be constructed in-site? And it's an assault rifle, that's for sure.

Furthermore: wow, Kappei's theme is pretty different from the Zambot 3 main theme.

And finally: >.< Xabungle. Still not growing on me like Rand does. King Gainer is sorta interesting, especially when he goes on Overskill where he kicks some major booty. So...how many attacks do the Overman gets later on? You specifically mentioned some sort of Mega Man influence over it.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Yes Terra, late Eureka Seven plot is madness indeed. Wait and see.

Oh right, you played this game. Well, wait anyway.

@T.G. Oskar:
    Attacks look different in SRW Z depending on whether the target AND the attacker are on the ground/water or in air/space, so I assume the animation looks like they planned it to. If it looks a bit weird, then my answer is: Grendizer!

And yes, the Zambot people actually let Kappei use guns. He even had a grenade launcher in canon. And this is one of the lesser cases of child abuse/neglect in that series.

Too bad you don't like Xabungle, but hey - everyone has their own tastes. As for King Gainer, in canon it often used parts of other defeated Overmen (an invisiblity-granting overcoat for example). But it in SRW Z, I meant it in a more general sense as something that is basic and weak at the start, but gets better in time to a much greater extent than normal units that get stronger only as you upgrade them and maybe unlock a final attack as a mid-game upgrade. King Gainer has yet to get 2-3 new attacks, which will help cover up its problems (such as lack of a strong low-morale attack).
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-22 at 03:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Every time I hear those tentacled parrot moster things roar, I half expect Godzilla to get out of the water and curbstomp them Final war style. (That would be awesomme)

Also I know: 'willing suspention of disbielief' and all that. But how the hell ?. How does he even stand in the air ? same question about the blue fat one.
    and Who the hell build ginat robot on flying surfboard when everyone else seems to do fine with dorsal rockets ? I get the impression the design of those robots is getting weirder and weirder. (at least it get point for originality, I guess)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-08-22 at 03:54 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Standing in the air? I can explain that:
    Rand is just that badass. Also, Walker Gallia is a MAN.

Or alternatively, super robot show and comedic series respectively. Who needs to follow common sense?

In the world of Eureka Seven, LFOs are extracted as skeleton-like structures from SPOILER REMOVED, and then extra modules are built around them. That explains why they're humanoid. As for their method of travel: the world is full of trapar, airborne substance you can surf on. Hence sky surfing. Not only robots do that, airplanes and even humans with human-sized reef boards surf on trapar too.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-22 at 03:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Sorry for the delay folks - my LP will be updated late Thursday evening or Friday. It's a busy week for me.

In the meantime, a new SRW title is announced. Check this out!
    I see many series that were present in K - Godannar, new Jeeg, new Gaiking. I have a feeling this will be to K what W was to J, or MX to IM.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-25 at 09:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Sorry for the delay folks - my LP will be updated late Thursday evening or Friday. It's a busy week for me.

In the meantime, a new SRW title is announced. Check this out!
    I see many series that were present in K - Godannar, new Jeeg, new Gaiking. I have a feeling this will be to K what W was to J, or MX to IM.
    Macross Frontier. Am I just being silly or is this actually the first time that Frontier has appeared in an SRW title?

Anyway- awwww yeah, that series list looks sweet.
    Last edited by Comet; 2010-08-25 at 09:49 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

Yes, this is Frontier's SRW debut.

I am slightly disappointed at the number of new series. I hoped for more. Oh well, as long as they do not totally rehash animation and plot from K and W (talking about Gendums/Mazinkaiser here, mostly), I will be alright.

My first thoughts on debuts:
    Rebuild of Evangelion - awesome!
    Macross Frontier - awesome, too. Koenig Monster, please.
    Dancougar Nova - not familiar with the new version, but if it's an upgrade to the old one (like Jeeg or Gaiking) then it will be great, because old Dancougar was plenty fun to start with.
    Linebarrels of Iron - my contact with this is actually limited to a single friend, who didn't like it. But he is very conservative in his giant mecha likes, unlike me. The TVTropes description sounds fun enough.
    Iczer - totally unfamiliar. The description makes it sound like Blue Drop with giant robots. Wait, did Blue Drop have giant robots or not? I'm not sure. Eh, won't say no to yuri as long as it's at least decent.

Also, I liked K, just for your information.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-25 at 09:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

These don't look fake, but...

Rebuild of Evangelion? Seriously? Before the movies are even finished?

Before Code Geass and Gundam 00 (TV)?

Bandai, what? Not to mention Linebarrels of Iron, which I think is also a Konami property.

Also Dancougar Nova is a sequel, not a remake. It's also pretty obscure over here in America, all I really know about it is it has a female main character.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-25 at 11:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

They might be saving CG and 00 for games with voice acting. Code Geass already appeared in ACE R, but that's not a Super Robot Wars title, so that does not really count as a debut, even if it is by Banpresto.

TVTropes has links with better (bigger) pictures, by the way.

I'm looking forward to any info about new originals. I hope they're cool. But then, K's were rather lame and the game was still fun.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I just hope for series I actually give a crap about joining up early, which was my real problem with K. Although on here I'm pretty much seeing Mazinger and Evangelion as far as "series I actually give a crap about", so I'm not too hopeful. And Frontier by association, I guess, although it's my least favorite Macross show.

EDIT: Oh, and Godannar. Perverts like me can't not care about Godannar.

Also having SEED and Destiny mashed up into one game should be interesting.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-25 at 11:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I think the new game has a rather lazy series list. Apart from the debuting series, everything is either recycled from W or K, or Combattler/Voltes, the most generic seventies super robot shows ever. Well, at least I have Rebuild of Eva and Macross Fronties to look forward to, and I always welcome seeing new series in SRW.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Bandai, what? Not to mention Linebarrels of Iron, which I think is also a Konami property.
    Pshaw!

When you're waiting for Assault Suit, Metal Warriors (cheesy as it was), and Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner for a SRW lineup, having a small bone isn't that interesting. Certainly, not the earlier two, but I would LOVE to see ZotE: t2R in a SRW game (and with a remake of Beyond the Bounds as the theme song, not to mention Leo using the Gradius theme song, if any).

Then again, they haven't placed Xenosaga, which is Namco property and they have used it extensively on SRW OG Saga Endless Frontier. I mean, you can do fine with KOS-MOS, Ziggy and the Ein Sof.

As for the L lineup...doesn't surprise me that much. More love to Macross, which is good, and they're adding Evangelion for the...umpteenth time, except that they're using the latest data they've recollected (it seems like Evangelion is now done by consulting seers on what happened to that Earth actually).

Though, I was actually expecting what would be the next gen version; aka, which SRW game they'd release for the 3DS.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

Everyone knows why they're releasing the movie version of Evangelion this time. Hint hint Mari hint.

Also, I'm actually glad we're not getting a new gen SRW game yet. I can't afford a new TV and a PS3!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

But Evangelion's only been in four games...well, five if F and F Final count as separate.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-25 at 12:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

F and F Final have different series, so yes - I'd count them as two seperate titles.

I actually use Evangelion as a baseline to determine whether a title was often included in SRW or not. I could give you a full list of mainstay SRW series, but I guess it'd be boring, most people here know what's the mainstay already, and I have to get going now. Wish me luck, for I won't have internet access for ~24. I wonder how will I be able to survive...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Also Dancougar Nova is a sequel, not a remake. It's also pretty obscure over here in America, all I really know about it is it has a female main character.
    From what I can tell...

Cooler design for the new robot, including expanding pauldrons for the combined form.

Dancouga Nova can transform into a golden "God Beast" mode or combine with a Black Wing expy to form a (canon) Final Dancouga expy.

Dancouga Nova fights the original Dancouga, which has been turned into a monster by the "Moon Will".

Klein Sandman shows up as one of the project's sponsors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW30TrAt93A

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, it looks pretty neat, at least. What happened to Original Dancougar's paint job?

Between this and Godannar (and Gravion in Z), I guess Banpresto and Masami Obari are getting along pretty well on the new anime project.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-08-25 at 03:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

Personally I'm hype for the list, other than having to see Endless Waltz & Mazinkaiser again I like alot of the choices. It will be nice to see what happens seeing how both SEED & SEED Destiny are going to work, I love Macross F, Iczer seems interesting, and I'm one of three people that's hyped for both Linebarrels & Dancouga Nova. Still find it odd no Code GEass or 00.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

The best part of the SRW L cast is that it shows Gainax is still willing to lend its shows to SRW. We might see Gurren Lagann and Diebuster one day after all!

Also, the public demands more LP. Go Cubey, go!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The best part of the SRW L cast is that it shows Gainax is still willing to lend its shows to SRW. We might see Gurren Lagann and Diebuster one day after all!
    I'm just waiting for The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer to make an appearance. Yuuhi/Mikazuki, dance like you want to win!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

It's been a while. It's not that this chapter requires a lot of work. On the contrary, it's pretty short - as far as updates for this LP go, haha... I was very busy recently, and I received disappointing news so my spirits are kinda low at the moment. Let's hope SRW will help with that.

==============

Chapter 6: The Night of the Festival

Since nobody voiced their favorites (shame on you! Or not, it's okay this way too), it was my task to compose squads for this mission. Let's hope I didn't fail utterly.

Gain has been demoted to a squad member rather than leader. He gets the instruction manual - what does this item do, anyway? It lets a non-leader receive the same benefits (experience, pilot points) for kills as the leader does. Useful for good pilots temporarily stuck in support position or subpar units. That pretty much describes him for now. Okay, let's start!

Introduction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A private limousine stops by a shop at the city of Nocis...

Kihel: Please wait for us outside, Loran. I would like to visit this jewelry store.

Loran: Of course, milady Kihel! It is for the party tonight, isn't it?
    Kihel: That is right. Wouldn't you like to come with me, Sochie?

Sochie: I'll staying here. You know I don't share your tastes anyway, sis. And I'm not going to the party anyway, remember?
    Loran: Because of the coming-of-age ceremony, right? I cannot wait for it either!
    Sochie: Of course you can't wait! You're two years older than most participants. Loran, you should be glad you're allowed entry at all, being an alien to our town and all.

Guin: Miss Sochie, you make it sound like if Laura was an alien from space. Ha, just a small joke from me. I saw this car standing here, so I thought I would say hello to you and your beautiful sister.
    Sochie: Laura?
    Loran: Umm... I will be right back, if I may!
    Sochie: Loran? Where are you going?
    Kihel: No, leave him be Sochie. Sir Guin will keep us company for now.

Loran: Keith! Wait, Keith! I found you!

Keith: Hey, it's Loran! Long time no see.
    Loran: It's been too long. Two years since we dropped down to Earth!
    Keith: Shh, not so loud. We don't want everyone to know we're from the moon just yet. I found a job as a baker. Fran isn't in this episode yet, but she's a journalist just so you know.
    Loran: And I'm a chaffeur for the Heim family.
    Keith: Driving Miss Kihel, huh?
    Loran: I'm so glad everyone is doing fine. This is really a wonderful place! Oof...

Olba: Watch where you're going! If you'd have bumped into Brother, I would have to punish you.

Shagia: It's alright, Olba. These two citizens were just minding their business, and that's why we are here in Nocis, aren't we? To make sure people of Nocis are minding their own business and living peacefully. Have a good day, Moonra... oops, I mean gentlemen.
    Keith: What's up with these two? Weird people.
    Loran: That was a bit suspicious, but we shouldn't judge people. Hey Keith, you're a baker now, right? Maybe you could help some of my friends...

Mail: I hope Loran returns soon. He promised us some food and information about this city!
    Rand: Don't worry. I know a good guy when I see him. He'll be back - we became good friends since we... well, almost landed on him.
    Jiron: Hope he's back soon. I'm starving here!
    Garrod: Yeah, and that info'll be mighty useful too. This city, it looks so... retro. Wonder if there's anything to our interest there?

Later that evening, one bread-for-main-characters delivery later...

Sochie: Okay, Loran. I choose you for my coming-of-age ceremony!
    Loran: Lady Sochie, thank you!
    Sochie: Now, apply these.

Loran: Huh... these are... leeches?
    Sochie: Right. Hurry up, stick them to my back! The pattern must be the same as the one on the White Doll.
    Loran: Urk... Milady Sochie...
    Sochie: Don't chicken out now! And no peeking!
    Loran: Easy to say, we're both naked...
    Sochie: Hey, did you see that? In the sky?
    Loran: Huh? W... wait a second!
    Loran's inner thoughts: Is the Moonrace attacking now? But they're supposed to return peacefully!

Poe: Damn Earthrace, is that how you greet us?
    Central Government pilot: Unidentified mobile suit, surrender or be shot down!
    DC pilot: Lieutenant Poe, these mobile suits are attacking us!
    Poe: Annoying pests, I'll shoot you down with my Mega Beam Cannon!
    Loran: Oh no!
    Sochie: Father! Father's mansion got hit!
    Poe: Soldiers, eliminate all resistance!
    Loran: Woah... that earthquake just now... the White Doll? A mobile suit was inside the White Doll's statue!
    Rand: Garrod, that looks just like...
    Garrod: The Gundam! It's different with that moustache, but... it's a Gundam!
    Loran: Lady Sochie, please get in!
    Sochie: Huh? You know how to pilot that thing, Loran?

Loran: The White Doll is moving on its own!
    Poe: What is that unidentified mobile suit? Earthrace had something like that? No matter, shoot it down!

Rand and company won't stay aside when there's an unfair fight going on, and my units deploy too. The Skill Point condition is destroying all enemies, Poe's WaDom last, until my phase of turn 3 is over. That's right, the enemy phase doesn't count this time! I'll need all my squads for this job - too bad they're too far away, so I'm loading them all up on Iron Gear. All except Gunleon...

Rand: I don't know who you guys are, but nobody busts up a town like that on my watch!
    Mail: That's just like the first chapter!

Moonrace WaDs are weak and fragile, but their small size makes it a bit trickier than usual for a hit to connect. Unfortunately, for the first time in this game, they come in squads - just like the player, enemy squads come in one of three formations. The AI is not smart enough to change them on the fly, so let's abuse it for all its worth.

Loran: They're going straight for the White Doll! Lady Sochie, hold on tight!
    Sochie: What, we're going to fight? And you still didn't tell me how you know to pilot this thing!
    Loran: I said already, the White Doll moves on its own!
    Rand: Not good enough!
    Poe: How could I miss such a lumbering hulk?!

I'm sorry for a whole video of Loran saying two things over and over again ("Oh no, I can't do anything" and "Please stop, I don't want to fight!"). I promise this won't happen again, and his combat dialogue is more varied when he has actual control over his robot. The Turn A Gundam starts as a pretty unimpressive unit, but it gets better and its beam rifle (plus punching) should be enough for now. Its special abilities help too - thanks to nanomachines, it repairs itself a bit every round, and its I-Field provides partial protection on beam attacks. Lastly, Loran's concentrated hippiness spiritual enlightenment provides him with SP Regen, so let's spam that Sense seishin.

Elche: Move Iron Gear first, and deploy units later, got it?
    Rand: Time for some wide formation attacks!
    Sara: Hey, Gainer. Wide formation works best if the squad leader manages to hit, you know!
    Gainer: Sorry! I'll try harder the next time!

Don't try to think of formations as a Fire Emblem-style triangle. Enemy wide formations are best defeated with a wide formation of your own - ALL/TRI attacks are less effective on widely spread squadrons. But if they're in a center formation...

Jiron: We'll destroy them in one hit! Triple attack!
    Garrod: Are these mobile suits? Maybe these guys know something about Tiffa!

The enemy turn goes as expected - WaDs attack and get their measly 2900 HP reduced to zero thanks to counterattacks. But then...

Poe: The moustached White Doll is damaged. Fire the Beam Cannon!
    Loran: Aah! The I-Field saved me!
    Sochie: The heck is an I-Field? I'm starting to get suspicious, you know!
    Loran: It's a... mechanical term. Yes, that!

Last turn remaining if I want to earn my Skill Point. Fortunately, this time the Iron Gear jump was done with success, so all of my squads had plenty of turns to demolish the enemy. Gainer even earned enough morale to use his Triple attack - that's right, it requires 105 morale, rather than being available from the start. And Gainer has morale problems in early game. That's a recipe for trouble. At least King Gainer's TRI attack is post-movement.

Gainer: Photon mat, full power!
    Sara: Don't underestimate me just because I'm a girl!
    Bello: Right! I'll show them what I can do!

The attacked squadron used a wide formation (which means only 50% damage on all units but the leader), but it was enough. King Gainer's TRI attack is picky but strong. And come on - these are WaDs. Damaged WaDs, to that. Not as pathetic as Midifos, but close enough.

Jiron: Rand, don't waste screentime on dealing with mooks! Leave it to me!

Rand: Only the boss remains. I'll weaken her, and you go for the killing blow, Garrod!
    Mail: You overdid it, Darling.
    Poe: I can't even... defeat some barbarians? What kind of pilot am I?!

Elche: All enemies defeated. Captain's orders: Everyone scram before the natives notice anything!
    Garrod: You'd think they noticed a giant mobile suit battle...

Loran: Milady, are you alright?
    Sochie: I am but... the city is burning. Father, oh no! Loran, we must see my father!

Guin: So, the Moonrace decided to attack despite our negotiations? This is bad...

Olba: That was just a scouting operation done bad, most likely.
    Shagia: But you will continue do as the central government orders. Not that you have a choice...
    Guin: Hrm... you seem to be right, for the moment.
    Shagia: That White Doll was interesting - and unexpected. I will visit our guest now.
    Olba: Then I will keep an eye on our little governor, Brother.
    Guin: ...
    Kihel: Sir Guin...

Shagia: May I come in?

Shagia: I hope the battle did not frighten you too badly? We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you before our travel is over.

Tiffa: Garrod... will still find me. You cannot hide from him.
    Shagia: Your beloved Garrod is most likely dead by now.
    Tiffa: No. He is not, and you know that too.
    Shagia: As long as he opposes the Frost brothers, he is as good as dead anyway...

Intermission time! Courtesy of Poe's WaDom, we receive a Magnetic Coating. I'll slap it on Turn A, it needs more mobility. A difficult mission lies ahead of us...

Next chapter: Old and new acquintances meet! A ball turns into the most epic battle Rand has ever faced. Beware of traps!

==============

Chapter 6: Descend, Super Gravity God

Not much to do during the intermission. This chapter will have some of my units in squads (pre-defined, no customizing here) so I'm giving the Anti-Dust Module to Setsuko. Why Setsuko? Because she's worst at dodging from the Glory Stars and needs it the main character.

Introduction:
    Spoiler
    Show

Heizaemon: We'll be reaching the city soon. I hear that man will host a party tonight. It should let us meet him easier.
    Setsuko: Will he really be willing to listen to us?
    Ichitaroh: I don't know... he's supposed to be reclusive and eccentric.
    Heizaemon: To make a good first impression, we'll send Zambo Ace first. Kappei can take any possible punishment.
    Kappei: Alright, more robot action. Awesome! Let's go Chonishiki!
    Heizaemon: Ah, child abuse in action.
    Setsuko: Are we really going to be alright?

At a giant, expensive mansion...

President: This is quite a fancy party, even for our host. I see so many dignitaries, I wonder if Sandman has something important to tell us?

Copeland: I hope this is the start of his cooperation with the Federation. We could help each other, and he knows it.

Raven: My master will act as he wishes to. Please, enjoy the party. Is there anything I can help with, gentlemen?
    Copeland: No, you and your army of maids can stay down for now.
    President: I wish to know why the party was called. Your master is supposed to make an announcement, isn't he?
    Raven: That will come in its due time.

Lord Djibril: *whispering with some suspicious-looking individuals*

A single young woman used an opportunity to sneak out of the party into a side corridor. But it wasn't long until she was discovered...

Reika: Hold it! Just where do you think you're going?
    ???: ...

Beauty: We were warned that a saboteur would be sneaking around tonight! Now, please be a good girl and let us arrest you.
    ???: You... won't stop me! *smokebomb time*
    Reika: Cough cough! Okay, I didn't expect that. Still, we could've caught her if we wanted to.
    Beauty: Right, but Haran said earlier to let her go. Still, that deep voice... I think it's not a "she" we're dealing with.
    Reika: Hmm, now that you mention it...

A dark observation room:

Luna: Here's our intruder. So he really came after all!

Mizuki: Shigure Eiji... a pretty cute boy, wouldn't you say?
    Luna: Really? I think he looks stupid.

The intruder, having shed his disguise, enters a room!

Eiji: Alright, this must be it!

Eiji: What the! There's some other guy in here!

Touga: Ohh! There are men in the world other than me and mr Sandman? I'm really surprised! I am Touga Tenkuji. Could you tell me your name?
    Eiji: Are you an idiot or something? Move!
    Touga: Aww, you want to fight? That's not nice.
    Eiji: If you won't move, I will... ow, ow, ow! What the, that was fast!
    Touga: Hold still, please. I don't want to hurt you. Let's be friends instead!
    Eiji: Give me a break...
    Luna: And, Eiji caught him. That was fast.

Eina: But, is it really okay, miss Luna? Even if mr Sandman told us to secure that boy, wasn't that too harsh?

Speaking of Sandman...

Sandman: Thank you for coming, everyone. I hope the party was to everyone's taste so far. But partying is not the reason why we are all here tonight! I have a serious matter to announce: the Earth is under invasion! Other than unidentified aliens you may be aware of already, another force is heading this way to destroy us! The cursed beings known as Zeravire will be here shortly, and we must prepare ourselves against their invasion!
    President: Ridiculous! Zeravire? It cannot be.
    Copeman: Even if such aliens attack, the Federation forces will stop them. Blue Fixer might have failed but we still have our mobile suit army!
    Sandman: It will not be enough. But worry not, for I have created a solution! A god for the new age, it will become the savior of mankind. Its actions will be motivated solely by the well being of all of humanity!
    Copeman: A single unit? New god? What is he...
    Raven: Speak not ill of my master. I warn you.
    Djibril: Hmm.
    Federation soldier: Lord Djibril! Our base on Jupiter has been annihilated!
    Djibril: What!
    Sandman: The Zeravire launched their assault. They will be here too, and soon!

The Zeravire are here.

Alex: Woah! These things are fast... gah! Shot down already? I'll be baaaack!
    Getsuei: The Blue Fixer... dammit. We'd be ready if the Federation didn't cut repair funds after the previous failure!
    Quinstein: It's obvious they do not trust us anymore. But what shall we do now?
    Sandman: Do not worry. We are not cattle waiting for the slaughter. Allies of humanity have arrived!
    Kappei: Hey, look. Some new black aliens are here!
    Genzaemon: Kappei, everyone! These things are attacking the city. Destroy them all!
    Kappei: You don't have to tell me twice to wreck things, grandpa!
    Duke: We are here too!
    Toby: Hey, Setsuko. We'll be using squad formations from now on. Want to explain it to everyone?
    Setsuko: For some reason, I think everyone knows about formations already...

Skill Point objectives are quite extreme this time - destroy all enemies in just 2 turns. To make matters worse, I can't do a lot on the first turn since the enemy is, like always, too far away. Just position my units and hope for counterattacks.

Denzel: Don't get afraid now, men! We fought aliens before.
    Toby: Right. This thing doesn't look that much tougher!
    Setsuko: True, it's only a black fighter-like thing... umm, with a skullhead... that shoots daggers...
    Kappei: Weak girly attacks like that won't phase the manly warrior Kappei!

Toby: Watch out, two of them broke formation and are fleeing!
    President: They're heading straight for this building!
    Sandman: Do not worry. As long as you are with me, your safety is assured. Gran Knights, make your grand appearance!
    Eiji: Argh, what the hell is going on now? They caught me and put me in some kinda coffin... and now I'm in a fighter jet?
    Luna: We're here to save the day! Well, actually we'll provide cover fire for Touga over there.
    Eiji: Touga? That doofus is here?
    Touga: Everyone, be silent. G Factor is strong. The Grankaiser is ready to fight.
    Eiji: Is that really him? He sounds totally different.
    Touga: This unit is strong enough to handle two opponents. Retreat for now. I will defeat them myself.
    Mizuki: Alright. Don't disappoint us or I'll be angry. Come on, silly boy.
    Eiji: Woah, wait! Just what the heck is happening!
    Eina: Good luck, mr Touga!
    Raven: Then, we shall depart.

Maids: Good luck, everyone!

Touga: Let's go.

Grankaiser is not that strong of a robot, although more powerful than Zambo Ace (and can dodge better, too). It has a nifty trick to it though, as we'll see soon. And of course, a badass theme courtesy of JAM Project.

Duke: Let us dispose of the remaining enemy force. Screw Pressure Punch!
    Kouji: We're doing that "Tri attack" thing. With full spirit!
    Denzel: Likewise, Glory Stars. Let's go.

If there is one thing the Balgora units aren't really good at, it's their TRI attack. It's pretty weak, even if it is post-movement and has 3 charges. Having only a B rank on air targets doesn't help. Oh well, as long as the enemy is damaged enough to die on counterattacks...

Toby: That was the last one of 'em!
    Luna: Hey, good job Touga!
    Mizuki: And you "mysterious stranger" people did not do half-bad either.
    Eiji: Huh, is it over already?
    Touga: No. Not yet.
    Kouji: This one is larger! It must be their boss!
    Touga: I will handle this. Urk! Grankaiser does not have enough power... aaaah!
    Sandman: ...

Mysterious pineapple Haran frickin' Banjou: Don't you think it's time to reveal your trump card?
    Sandman: Indeed, my old friend. Timing is everything. Gran Knights - combine!
    Eiji: What are we supposed to do now... woah!
    Mizuki: Look out!
    ???: *bang*
    Eiji: Huh, what is this?
    Luna: Stupid! It's the G-Shadow. We need 5 machines to combine.
    Sandman: G-Combination, approved.
    Touga: Roger that. G-Combination. ELGO FORM!

Kouji: Woah, it combined! Amazing...
    Toby: Chief, I've never seen anything like that outside of a comic book!
    Sandman: This is a god for the new age of man. Presenting, the super-heavy gravity god - Gravion.
    President: Gravion?
    Sandman: Listen to me, Gran Knights. You have only three minutes to defeat the enemy! Gravion's power is so strong that it can maintain this form for only so long.
    Touga: Roger.
    Eiji: You can't be that doofus I met before... no way.
    Duke: Combination is proof of great fighting spirit and yearning for victory. But watch out my friends, the enemy is coming!

Luna: Alright, this is it! Is everyone ready?
    Eiji: Not sure what I must do, but I won't let any alien kick MY ass!
    Mizuki: That's the spirit. My weapons are at your disposal, Touga.
    Eina: Master Touga, please be careful.
    Touga: Too slow. But... Graviton SWORD! Elgo Edge! And now - Graviton Pressure...
    Luna: Punch!

Gravion is an awesome unit. Its armor is not as thick as Grendizer's, nor does it have the sheer powerhouse factor of Dizer Full Power. Instead, it has five pilots - which means 5 seperate spirit pools. And this is Super Robot Wars, where spirit wins the battle and seishin are king.

Denzel: Star 3, take point. We will cover you.
    Setsuko: Roger that, Chief. Please watch me!
    Kouji: Group tactics, nice one! We'll try something like that too. I will be your enemy, Cyclone Beam!
    Maria: Stupid Kouji, we can't support you if you use the line formation!

From now on, the mission is a piece of cake - unless I'm stupid enough to go past the three turn limit and let Gravion de-combine, of course. So, enjoy Zambo Ace shooting the crap out of Zeravire.

Which makes Duke Fleed reach 130 morale and Dizer Full Power activates. Sweet.

Duke: That was nothing. Let's show this attack which I never used before.
    Hikaru: Umm, what was that exactly?
    Kappei: My anti-air isn't too bad too. Die!
    Eina: Master Touga, congratulations on avoiding an attack in a Super Robot!

Eina: But we have only one minute left now!
    Denzel: It's over. Let's end this.
    Setsuko: Chief, Lieutenant, please assist me!
    Toby: Oh, what's with this official tone for a change?
    Mizuki: And we will finish on our end. Graviton Rifle!

I made sure to use Eina's Gain/Hard Work (depending on the translation) spirit skill, thus earning everyone on board Gravion twice the experience for the kill.

Luna: Alright, we did it!

Federation reinforcements appear! Brave after the fight, I see.

Federation pilot: It's the runaway prisoners! Capture them!

Sandman: Hold it! These brave men and women are the guests of Klein Sandman. The Federation has no rule over matters that take care in my house. Please leave immediately.
    Federation pilot: We... won't forget this!
    Sandman: I am sure you won't. Now, everyone, please make yourself comfortable on the Gran Fortress.

Spoiler
    Show

Eiji: Woah, that's a lot of maids. That Sandman guy is a lucky man...
    Sandman: Congratulations on your first mission, everyone. This includes you - Shigure Eiji.
    Eiji: You! I received a letter that... Ow! Why am I slapped again?
    Raven: Do not dare address my master with such contempt in your voice!
    Sandman: It is alright. I was the one that sent this letter.
    Eiji: What! So you're saying my sister is here?
    Sandman: Yes. She may be hidden from you now, but if you join the ranks of Gran Knights, you are bound to meet her eventually. You are one of the rare few who have control over the G Factor. I ask you to help us in our mission to defend humanity against forces of evil!
    Eiji: As long as I can see my sister again... I'll do it! But you better not be keeping her prisoner or anything, or else...
    Sandman: I assure you, your honorable sister is fine and acting of her own free will. From now on, this place is your home, so treat it as such. I have to talk with my other guests now.

Sandman: I heard about your plights. Do not worry - you have my full assistance.
    Denzel: Thanks. The Glory Stars were in for some rough times. Nice to finally find some friends.
    Sandman: All who protect humanity are friends of mine! I will make sure that neither the Glory Stars, nor the Jin family, Duke Fleed or his friends are being oppressed. These are difficult times, and I will not let corrupt souls use for their selfish goals what should be used to benefit the human race!
    Toby: Hey, I should start talking like him. What do you think Setsuko? Will all the chicks fall for me if do that?
    Setsuko: Yes, of course... ...! I mean! What kind of question is that?!
    Toby: See, I bet it'd work!

Sandman: Hahaha. Now, one more person to visit. May I enter?

Sandman: You fought bravely. Thank you for joining us in battle.

Leele: That's the only way... I could ever repay you.
    Sandman: Please, there is no such thing as a debt between us. After all, you are...
    Leele: Yes?
    Sandman: No, nevermind. Maybe some other time.

Intermission! No video this time, only a screencap:

I receive the Grankaiser. Each time Touga reaches 130 will, I can combine this into Gravion. The three turn limit is still in place. I don't lose the game when three minutes pass (this is Gravion, not Ideon...), the unit will simply turn back into Grankaiser.

Next chapter: New allies appear under the sign of the crescent moon! Rise from the depths and face your enemy! Also, God Finger - maybe.

==============

Cubey notes:
    I will be getting busier and busier as time goes on, so don't be surprised if updates are rarer than one per 2-3 days. Still, I'll try to update this LP as often as I can.

The character list update will come tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-27 at 01:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Lord Gerbil is here! Quick get the hamster wheel so we can defend ourselves!

Similarly i see that Sochie is already well underway with abusing Loran and Guin has begun fantasizing about getting the Indian hippie to crossdress. Oh, Guin. You're in such a transparent closet.

Also...Maid army! Ummm, if you will excuse me i will be over here for a moment...*covers nose with her hand as she rushes off.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-08-27 at 01:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

I accidentally used the IMG rather than an URL tag, so the video of Setsuko and Kouji attacking disappeared from the face of the Earth. Fixed now.

And yes, that's how characterisation works in Tomino shows like Turn A. Pick a shtick and stay with it, come hell or high water.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-08-27 at 01:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Sandman: Final Fusion! Combination approved!
    Luna: Alright! Final Fusion - safety device, release!
    Touga: FINAL FUSION! GAO! GAI! GAR!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Sandman: Final Fusion! Combination approved!
    Luna: Alright! Final Fusion - safety device, release!
    Touga: FINAL FUSION! GAO! GAI! GAR!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH6yfmFExMI

And the theme, in Japanese and English.* Some odd choices in the translation, but Sandman's English VA is epic. And considering what he's normally like....

* Or if you prefer JAM Project...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-08-27 at 02:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

I hope my mancrush on Sandman is not too obvious from this LP. But Prime's videos show why is it fully justified.

Also, Klein Sandman is voiced by Sho "Max Jenius" Hayami, one of my favorite voice actors. And the best thing? It's not his only role in this game.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Okay, I might have to watch that series. It has maids controlling flying robots. What's not to love?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Well, there's only one maid on board of Gravion - Eina.

Unless you count Eiji and Touga. They had to crossdress as maids once. Yes, Gravion likes crossdressing almost as much as Turn A does.