New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Evil Poverty Monster!

So i am almost done reading the Joe Abercrombie - The blade Itself series and was thinking of the eaters.

I think you would be able to make them by letting them have the vow of poverty - changing exalted to vile feats and making bonuses profane instead of holy.

but then also putting in the note that they have to eat an amount of people equal to their character level per month to retain their powers. Also apply the dependency stuff from the undead book if they try and not eat people.

Any thoughts?
    "Some say that time is cyclical and that history inevitably repeats. My will is my own. I won't bow to fate." —Volrath

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Evil Poverty Monster!

As PCs? meh.

As antagonists, go wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingDM View Post
    So i am almost done reading the Joe Abercrombie - The blade Itself series and was thinking of the eaters.

I think you would be able to make them by letting them have the vow of poverty - changing exalted to vile feats and making bonuses profane instead of holy.
    Why VoP? They do wear armour and use weapons, after all. A template and/or prestige class would be better options, IMO.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I really thought this was going to be about PCs fighting socioeconomic problems.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Elderberry View Post
    I really thought this was going to be about PCs fighting socioeconomic problems.
    When I first saw the title, I thought it'd be about rust monsters.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Elderberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    When I first saw the title, I thought it'd be about rust monsters.
    I thought it would be about PCs with economic problems because they had lost their gear. So a little bit of both.

Although now I want an Aspect of Poverty.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

sorry to have mislead - but yeah i was just thinking about the evil version of VoP

- if you read the books, they dont use armor or have weapons, also its a template ( which i would say VoP kind of is ) that comes from violating the 2nd law of the world set worth by the creator.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make or how they would make an Evil version of VoP?
    "Some say that time is cyclical and that history inevitably repeats. My will is my own. I won't bow to fate." —Volrath

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

take an alignment unresticted version of VoP. Vile feats in place of exalted feats sounds good.

Have that change your type to aberation. (or be one to start off)

Levels in monk then go soul eater...
    TPK
    Profit?
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2010-08-14 at 10:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    take an alignment unresticted version of VoP. Vile feats in place of exalted feats sounds good.

Have that change your type to aberation. (or be one to start off)

Levels in monk then go soul eater...
    TPK
    Profit?
    Soul eater does not work that way. It takes a standard action to use a Su ability unless otherwise noted.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Soul eater is pretty good - what doesn't work that way?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a poverty monster, it should be making other people poor, not abstaining from wealth and ownership itself. Instead of having it eat a number of people per month, have it eat an amount of wealth. Soon the entire being is made of wealth; coins, gems, magic items, and the like. It will taunt the beggars, the poor, the desolate, and the unfortunate as it 'struts it stuff' (its stuff being money) and shows them what they cannot have. It steals, it gives bad business advice, it buys stock in real estate, and generally just makes people poor and sad all the time.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Ok looking thru the vile darkness book - I think it would be VoP with vile feats instead of exalted, and then they would be the Mortal Huner PrC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingDM View Post
    Soul eater is pretty good - what doesn't work that way?
    A lot of people assume soul eater allows you to use energy drain every time you make an unarmed or natural attack, but it doesn't, for reasons I explained in the post. Fouredged Sword may have realized this, but the words "monk" and "TPK" made me think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfgang View Post
    As a poverty monster, it should be making other people poor, not abstaining from wealth and ownership itself. Instead of having it eat a number of people per month, have it eat an amount of wealth. Soon the entire being is made of wealth; coins, gems, magic items, and the like. It will taunt the beggars, the poor, the desolate, and the unfortunate as it 'struts it stuff' (its stuff being money) and shows them what they cannot have. It steals, it gives bad business advice, it buys stock in real estate, and generally just makes people poor and sad all the time.
    Dusk giant, only swap HD of creatures consumed to X gp value consumed.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-08-15 at 06:31 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I thought it would be about PCs with economic problems because they had lost their gear.
    I thought it was about a monster made of poverty that killed things...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acero View Post
    I thought it was about a monster made of poverty that killed things...
    Well I thought about that afterward. Almost made an Aspect of Poverty and then decided that I didn't want to make any monster whose sole purpose was destroying PC gear, it just felt too mean. I mean it would have had to have "Aura of Rust" "Rusting Touch" and so many other wealth destroying powers that I could never use it in an IRL game. Unless I cast Protection from Hurled Objects on myself first.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I also though this would be about anthropomorphic socio-economic problems or something but yeah, I've also always wanted to make my characters fight an evil order of ascetic monks sprouting platitudes about burdensome worldly possessions and purging the weak even-handedly.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfgang View Post
    A cool idea - but not exactly what i would be going for with the concept of the Eaters.

I would recommend anyone hasn't read the "The Blade Itself" Series to do so, they are pretty awesome and in the style of George R.R. Martin in the whole low magic world and all that

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Please explain in more detail then, for those without access to these books. I have no idea who these Eaters are or what law they're violating.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, a bit more detail on what they're supposed to be so we could comment would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

i second the "why vop" thing.
    just make a few feats that require evil rituals (cannibalism, desecration, what have you) to stay up and you'd be set.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Please explain in more detail then, for those without access to these books. I have no idea who these Eaters are or what law they're violating.
    The second law (of magic or something) is "don't eat people". (The first is "don't hang out with demons", if memory serves.)

Eaters eat people and get great magical and/or physical prowess and nigh-invulnerability.

Several of them are also depicted wearing armour and wielding weapons during the final confrontation, not to mention their habits of wallowing in luxury.

[Edit]: Everyone's favourite drug has a take on it: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFirstLaw
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-08-21 at 06:54 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Oh god

Poverty elementals.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED