A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default All the Crazy Games

So, anyone who has checked the Free Form Roleplaying subforum recently knows that it is getting a bit... clustered. It's looking rather more like Ongoing Games, OOC, or Recruiting than the place it used to be, given that it has evolved from an area dedicated to a single, massive game to an area that encompasses multiple games of that type.

I very much like seeing the creativity involved in the various settings and games, but can't help feeling that it's become rather difficult to keep track of. Looking in the forum shows a confusing mess of numerous settings in varying order, and trying to find the game thread you want to post in can be rather annoying.

Unfortunately, subscription isn't really a good way to keep track of FFRP, due to large volume of threads involved and given the tendency of most games in it to create new threads rapidly (many of are new creations entirely, so you need to keep an eye on the forum even if you are subscribed to most of the threads).

Now, this is hardly a major issue. Obviously people are still managing to play and post- but from what I've heard, I'm not the only one feeling that it is getting a little crowded and confusing. Initially it was just suggested to place 'tags' on each thread to designate which roleplay they belonged too, but with the glut of games being created, that doesn't really seem to suffice any more.

So mainly, I wanted to bring this concern up in the hopes that this situation can be resolved, either by a simple suggestion utilizing the current situation and software, or perhaps a more in depth solution involved changes to the board structure.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-08-13 at 02:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: All the Crazy Games

One thing that would help with using subscriptions is using folders. They are a feature in the subscriptions area. Separate each game into its own folder. Then you can check each game individually and keep a semblance of organization.

As far as the new threads, maybe there needs to be a bit more organization in what goes on with those. Like having a master thread for each game that lists all the approved threads for it.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    One thing that would help with using subscriptions is using folders. They are a feature in the subscriptions area. Separate each game into its own folder. Then you can check each game individually and keep a semblance of organization.

As far as the new threads, maybe there needs to be a bit more organization in what goes on with those. Like having a master thread for each game that lists all the approved threads for it.
    I second this thought. It has been a bit crouded lately.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    There already is a Master Thread for each game that has multiple threads. It's labeled as the OOC Thread. The problem is that there's no "approved" list of threads because threads are freely created.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

An attempt was made to index the ffrp universes, but it has been like pulling teeth to get people to cooperate. I made it clear that it wasn't an approval process, just an attempt to organize things, but even so, I would guess that I maybe got 30% participation. Once I stopped pestering people to do so, participation dropped to zilch.

My thoughts are that games that take place in a single IC thread probably belong in Ongoing Games rather than ffrp, even if they are 'freeform' in structure. But the mods have not (to my knowledge) issued any sort of guidance as to what games belong in which subforum.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

An forum for open-ended and ongoing roleplaying without a DM, where you can play a persona across multiple threads
    That's what's listed as what goes into Free Form RP. Even if it's a single thread, if it's open ended, and an ongoing RP without a DM, it belongs in Free Form and not Organized Games.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I can't claim to have kept up with all the universes, but wouldn't the more directed plot of some of them kinda push the line of the whole 'no DM' thing? The line seems kinda blurred to me, as far as that goes. But again, I haven't kept up with 'em, so I can't be sure.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #8

Not really. Everyone is a DM. And everyone is a player in these cases. So...they still fit in Free Form RPG and Ongoing games.
    My Current Works

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really see any reason for separating single thread open GM games from single thread one GM games. My understanding is that the Town subforum was separated out because it was putting a large multi-thread roleplay environment in one place.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    I can't claim to have kept up with all the universes, but wouldn't the more directed plot of some of them kinda push the line of the whole 'no DM' thing? The line seems kinda blurred to me, as far as that goes. But again, I haven't kept up with 'em, so I can't be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Not really. Everyone is a DM. And everyone is a player in these cases. So...they still fit in Free Form RPG and Ongoing games.
    I think what DC means is that it's a game with an actual setting, and the rules of it control and guide things. Unlike the Nexus threads where there is no true setting.

Also, is it possible to get a Mod's opinion of this? Sorry, but I'm a bit curious myself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: FFRP has always suffered a bit from lack of organization and thread overload. It has, at times, been viewed as a single universe, but in reality, and its current form especially, it is available for all games that are open-ended, lack a DM, and roleplaying.

If it doesn't have a DM (even if there is some plot or conflict resolution by consensus), can be joined by anyone at anytime, and is roleplaying, it belongs in FFRP.

It seems unlikely that we will be imposing any structural requirements or changes. People are welcome to explore tags, indexes, subscriptions, and similar self-help means.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I was referencing the 'directed-plot' thing and not the specific setting thing, Wolf. To me, it just sounds like the line between GM and no GM gets kinda blurry there at times.

Also, on the issue of a directed-plot game and open-endedness...I wouldn't know, but I seem to recall the original incarnation of BleachITP ending? I'm unaware of the reasons for that, of course, but I thought it was worth asking about it. Just wondering if that was just an isolated incident with reasons other than just wanting to end the plotline, since it seems relevant. >.>
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the main problem with Happy's Universe Index is that it's buried on the third post of a thread no one reads that is more-often-than-not on the second page or more. Would it be possible with some mod-fu to make Happy's index (found here) a stickied thread, separate from the FFRP community thread? I'm looking at something similar to the current Fancomics index in that particular sub-forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I seem to remember that at one time, Alarra had a mod-post in the subforum telling people to use tags. But now people simply don't use them until I poke them to, and sometimes not even then.

Also, a few weeks ago I sent a request to Roland to update the 'Notable threads' post with fresh links, but nothing ever happened, and I didn't get a response.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #15
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

I didn't receive anything like that. And now I can happily refer such a request to the forum-specific moderator(s).
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The preliminary community consensus seems to be that a stickied 'FFRP Central' type thread should replace the current stickied threads, incorporating the subforum rules and etiquette. Assuming that remains the consensus, would the guidelines posted and agreed upon fall under the "Disobeying Rules for Section You Are Posting In" section of the rules? For example, would threads posted without tags be reportable offenses?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

17. - Top - End - #17
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Generally no. They would probably be considered guidelines in the same way as the "rules" of random banter are.

We do enforce those, but not directly. They basically help stop people running afoul of other rules.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    Also, on the issue of a directed-plot game and open-endedness...I wouldn't know, but I seem to recall the original incarnation of BleachITP ending? I'm unaware of the reasons for that, of course, but I thought it was worth asking about it. Just wondering if that was just an isolated incident with reasons other than just wanting to end the plotline, since it seems relevant. >.>
    The plot ended because the story is ending. I suspect some of the other ITP games will be as such as well, as they have plots and story arcs and the like. But I don't see how that somehow makes them less Free Form...or against

If it doesn't have a DM (even if there is some plot or conflict resolution by consensus), can be joined by anyone at anytime, and is roleplaying, it belongs in FFRP.
    That. As it stands, those are all it takes to be part of the FFRP forum area, and as far as I know, all of the so dubbed "Animeitp" groups follow those guidelines.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2010-08-26 at 05:39 PM.
    My Current Works

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    In that case I must draw attention to this thread, which was (rather inexplicably, IMO) moved to FFRP from Finding Players, despite having DMs, as indicated by these quotes from the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    No games are currently running, as a game involving just one person would be kinda...lame. The level will be determinded by the DM and kind will usually be 3.5. The current game of mine that will be open for players within the guild as soon as we recieve more players is around level 5.
    I am one of the DM's and will run several games, just not all of the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    So, I want to join, and I'm willing to be the first DM. I've got a plot cooking for an Eberron mystery set in Sharn, but if everyone hates that I'm open to suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Okay guild members, here are the details on the first guild campaign!

BASIC PREMISE: You're all detectives with the Sharnian Unit of Investigative Tactics, and a strange case has just come across the chief's table.

APPLICATIONS: Please, PM me your concept and backstory.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? My personal favorite, D&D 3.5.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Eberron, starting off and set primarily in Sharn. I've seen Eberron played a lot of different ways, but I try to pull out more of the noir feel of the setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? I want a group of 5, so we'll say 5 and 2 alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? GiTP Forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Level 5.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Standard WBL.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Please, no material from other campaign settings or homebrew stuff, unless you can pitch it to me with an Eberron feel. Also, I'd like to stay away from monstrous races/classes if possible. Also, this is going to be a mystery plot. You'll be getting in brawls along the way, but please--pick a character who can do something out of combat.

8. What races, sub-races, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? I'd like to keep it to the player races listed in the Eberron Campaign Setting. If you have a different idea, again, pitch it to me with an Eberron feel.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 32 point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? I take a muddied view of alignments, as fits the campaign setting. However, please keep in mind that you are all affiliated with the Sharnian Unit of Investigative Tactics. While you can be a dirty cop, it's mighty hard to be an unbridled chaotic evil kill-everything cop.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No more than a single 1-level dip, please.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honour system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Forum dice roller for everyone!

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? Traits and flaws are allowed, but please pick flaws that are relevant. Noncombatant summoners will get slapped on the wrist, as will Shaky Barbarians. If you have an interesting idea for a flaw/quirk, we can homebrew something.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? I want to know the answer to the following questions:
    1. What caused your character to join the Unit?
    2. What drives your character?
    3. What's your character's biggest secret, fear, or regret?
    4. Who is one contact your character has in Sharn, and what's your history with them?

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Primarily roleplaying, some combat here and there, depending on your tactics. I may sprinkle in some puzzles along the way, but they won't be the focus.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Please, don't use any setting-specific books from other settings.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yes, this thread, which the PbP'ers complained about when it was started there, too, because it's not looking for players of "a" game, but for guild members who will play "games".

While posters in this thread will be playing in games that have DM's, the games themselves will not be played in this thread as I understand it, and it is open to anyone to join. This puts this concept somewhere in between PbP and FFRP.

This thread, in my view, is more for the free form roleplay of participants as guild members between/outside of games (note the discussion of attaining higher guild rank by "killing" higher ranking members and that the actual game threads are still over in PbP). Thus the decision was made.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2010-08-27 at 11:43 PM.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

But it has a system. Dice rolls and stuff. The roleplay may be freeform, but roleplay in most systems is freeform.

It may be somewhere in between one subforum and another, but shouldn't the fact that it has a system be the overriding factor in deciding to move it out of a subforum with "freeform" in its title? Even the part about attaining higher guild rank by "killing" higher ranking members is way more of a system than we've ever had in ffrp.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2010-08-27 at 11:52 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Reading through the thread, it looks like more of a recruitment/OOC thread than an IC RP thread, for now at least.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Also, since it uses dice rolls... the roller doesn't work in SMBG, I think?
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-08-27 at 11:52 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

What DC said! It's just their recruitment and OOC thread. They aren't roleplaying in it. And they're talking about point buys and levels and ranks.

Freeform doesn't have those crunchy things! It scares me! *hides under Magtok's box*

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    But it has a system. Dice rolls and stuff. The roleplay may be freeform, but roleplay in most systems is freeform.
    There are no dice rolls in this thread and certainly none that affect the happenings there.

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    It may be somewhere in between one subforum and another, but shouldn't the fact that it has a system be the overriding factor in deciding to move it out of a subforum with "freeform" in its title? Even the part about attaining higher guild rank by "killing" higher ranking members is way more of a system than we've ever had in ffrp.
    There is no codified mechanic. Freeform. "Has never happened" is not "can never happen".

Look, it's an original (for here) concept. Perhaps, instead of ostracizing the idea for its lack of conformity to preconceived notions about what it may or may not turn into, we should give the idea a chance to work and see what happens with it.

If you must, think of it as a roleplay of a mafia/gang getting together for game night.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully they won't decide to run a D20 Modern game in which they're a bunch of ordinary people who log onto a forum in order to roleplay in a sort of 'Guild' which plays DnD games. That would be really confusing.

@V: That depends on whether they're running the campaign within the Guild thread itself, or making a new thread in the PbP area.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2010-08-28 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Umm, might I say something here? I believe this post here in the guild thread shows pretty specifically that it isn't freeform roleplaying. I mean there using actual specific systems. Doesn't that mean it should go not in the FFRP but in the Finding Players/Recruitment/OOC threads?

Even if they aren't just doing one game and they use multiple systems it isn't freeform. Freeform has no system.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #28

If that post instead said ...

Okay, guildies, here's the first game we're going to play. It's 5 Card Draw.

We're not going to have anything wild and the ante is 15 gil.

Who's in this round?
    ... and the actual game thread was in the Dice Roller forum, would we still be having this discussion?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Omg are you sure we cant 4d6b3 or 5d6b3 no rerolls, i dislike the point buy systeme
    Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    do you guys think that i should get a skill focus dipomacy and/or intimidate or get more combat feats?
    Focus on diplomacy more. My guys a geared more towards combat, as a level 3 fighter level 2 wizard.
    An original concept it may be, but it does not look like freeform. And it doesn't look like roleplay either. It looks like a pbp recruitment thread. Which is probably why the originator of the idea started it there. The only difference seems to be that it's a single recruitment thread for multiple games.

I have nothing against the idea, and wish the players success, but they are more likely to have that success if they are recruiting among people who enjoy their games with systems and rules rather than among people from the other end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2010-08-28 at 01:45 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Not at all, Zeb, because your hypothetical post is pretty plainly written in-character, or as it is sometimes abbreviated, IC. The post actually referenced is written out-of-character, or OOC. In fact, the whole thread is written out-of-character. Nobody in the thread under discussion is posting as a character separate from their actual identity as a GitP poster. They are posting as themselves, discussing a D&D3.5 game which they are creating characters for. It has a slightly unusual way of going about it, but that is the purpose of the thread, and given that fact, it seems far more appropriate, both to those of us who are raising this issue and those who created the thread in the Finding Players forum in the first place, that that is where it belongs.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2010-08-28 at 01:21 AM.