New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Shadow Theurge (PrC) - PEACH

This is an advancement on my attempt at rebuild the Shadow Sentinel. The Shadow Sentinels are generally supported by arcane casters, so I figured I'd try my hand at making an arcane-based guard of Elirhondas. So here it is.

As with before, I'm really new at this, so my balance is probably very off (I get the feeling this is slightly overpowered but still) so PEACH.

Shadow Theurge

HD: d4

Entry Requirements:
    Race: Illumian
    Feats: Improved Sigil (Krau)
    Spells: Ability to cast at least one 3rd level arcane spell.
    Special: Must pass magical examination from sentinel leaders.

Class Skills: (2+Int modifier per level) Concentration, Craft, Listen, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Search, Spellcraft and Spot

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Shadow Theurge gains no proficiencies.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting|Shadow Points

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Shadow Magic (Umbral Casting)|
    -
    |

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Elirhondas Elite|+1 level of existing arcane class|

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Shadow Infusion (Umbral Skill)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Shadow Magic (Umbral Eschew)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Greater Sigil (Krau)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Shadow Infusion (Umbral Cloak)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Shadow Magic (Umbral Metamagic)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Power of Words|+1 level of existing arcane class|

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Shadow Infusion (Umbral Healing)|+1 level of existing arcane class|

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Shadow Magic (Umbral Spell), Spellguard of the Citadel|
    -
    |
    [/table]

Class Features:

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st and 10th, a Shadow Theurge gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as the bonus feat sometimes gained by a wizard). If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Shadow Theurge, he must decide which class to add each level for the purposes of determining spells per day and spells known.

Shadow Points (Su): Upon entering this class, you gain a reservoir of shadow essence that you can draw upon to power your class features. This reserve increases in size as you advance in level. Additionally, you gain a bonus number of Shadow Points equal to your HD. It takes 8 hours of rest to restore your Shadow Points to their maximum.
    Spending Shadow Points is a swift action.

Shadow Magic (Su): As you advance as a Shadow Theurge, you learn to infuse your spells with the shadowstuff empowering your body. From first level onward, you can spend a number of Shadow Points up to your class level to increase the potency of the next spell you cast. As you advance in level, more options are available to you, as shown below.

Umbral Casting: By activating this ability, your next spell is cast at +1 DC. You spend a number of Shadow Points equal to the spell level to use this ability. The spell still counts as its original level for all purposes, such as spell turning or globe of invulnerability.

Umbral Eschew: By spending three Shadow Points, you may cast the next spell without its verbal or somatic components. For example, a 5th level Shadow Theurge can spend 5 Shadow Points to cast a Fireball spell without its verbal or somatic components.

Umbral Metamagic: For every five Shadow Points spent, you may apply one level of metamagic to the next spell you cast. Metamagics applied in this way cannot have its level reduced through any means. For example, a 10th level Shadow Theurge may spend ten Shadow Points to apply a metamagic feat that has a +2 base adjustment, before any reducers.

Umbral Spell: By spending ten Shadow Points, your next spell is cast without expending itself from your prepared spells, or without expending a spell slot if you're a spontaneous caster. For example, a 10th level Shadow Theurge could spend 10 Shadow Points to spontaneously cast a Forcecage without expending a 7th level slot.

Elirhondas Elite: You are the elite of the great shadow metropolis. As such, Illumians revere you and the Gith fear you more than any other of your kin. You gain a +5 circumstance bonus on all Charisma-based checks involving another Illumian, additionally all Illumians start as friendly toward you.
    You also gain Frightful Presence out to 30ft that only affects Githyanki and Githzerai. Any time you perform a dramatic action (usually charging, attacking or making an intimidate check) all Gith within 30ft must make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod) or become frightened for 5d6 rounds. A successful save prevents the Gith from being affected for 24 hours.

Shadow Infusions (Su): As you improve your control over the shadowstuff chained to your soul, you can begin to infuse your very body with shadow power. From third level onward, you can spend a number of Shadow Points up to your class level to increase certain aspects of your physical body. Each ability lasts for a number of hour equal to the number of Shadow Points spent or until you activate another Shadow Infusion, whichever comes first. As you advance in level, more options are available to you, as shown below.

Umbral Skill: For each Shadow Point spent, you gain a +1 sacred or profane (your choice) bonus to a single skill check. For example, a 1st level Shadow Theurge may spend a single Shadow Point to grant himself a +1 sacred bonus to his Spellcraft checks for 1 hour.

Umbral Cloak: For each Shadow Point spent, you gain +5% concealment. For example, a 6th level Shadow Theurge may spend 6 Shadow Points to grant himself 30% concealment for 6 hours. The concealment granted by Umbral Cloak cannot be pierced by a True Seeing spell.

Umbral Healing: For each Shadow Point spent, you gain stacking Fast Healing 1. For example, a 9th level Shadow Theurge may spend 9 Shadow Points to grant himself Fast Healing 9 for 9 hours.

Greater Sigil (Krau): Your Krau sigil increases in potency due to your training. The number of spells you may select with your Improved Sigil (Krau) feat increases by two.

Power of Words: Your natural ability with words and symbols allows you to exercise simple control over the power of speech. Once per day, you may spend 10 Shadow Points to activate this ability as a swift action. Your next spell that uses a verbal component takes a full-round action to cast but is cast as an extraordinary ability.

Spellguard of the Citadel: Your life is dedicated to the protection of the metropolis of Elirhondas. As such, you become accustomed to the changing shadowstuff its composed of. The city itself begins to morph to your will to a very slight degree, recognising you as a protector of the Illumian sanctuary. Your type changes to Outsider (Native). You no longer need to eat or sleep (but may do so if you wish), although you still need to breathe. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You become immune to ability damage and drain. You gain Blindsense out to 30ft. Additionally, so long as you're in the city of Elirhondas, you always knows your way around the city, your Shadow Points recover at a rate of 2 per hour at all times and you can use the spells Dimension Door and Improved Invisibility at-will with a caster level equal to your HD.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-08-15 at 07:34 PM.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadow Theurge (PrC) - PEACH

Only thing I see that really bugs me as strong is Umbral Casting. Straight adding to DC is... DANGEROUS.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Only thing I see that really bugs me as strong is Umbral Casting. Straight adding to DC is... DANGEROUS.
    Yeah, I was worried about that. I tried to balance it slightly with thr loss of a caster level, but I feel it needs more. Any suggestions?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

How about 'This cannot increase a spells DC beyond one more than the highest DC among spells you can cast?'
    But... worded better?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadow Casting is... pretty damn powerful. +10 to DC, even once a day, is silly good. Wanna dominate a Great Wyrm Red Dragon? Nooooo problem! Normally that's pretty much nigh impossible. Of course, at high levels, magic just gets broken in general, but no need to help it.
    Umbral Eschew: That's +2 metamagic, plus a feat (and more), for 1 shadow point. It's terrible metamagic, but that's still pretty potent- no more concentration checks!
    I'd make Shadow Casting do something like... costs shadow points equal to the spell level, adds +1 DC. Maybe as a capstone up it to two.

Umbral Metamagic & Umbral spell seem okay.

Elirhondas Elite: flavorful, not much really.

Shadow Infusions: You're a mage, mate. You can teleport around, so you don't need speed, and you definitely don't need physical attribute points (and 3-per-point is pretty ridiculous). You should be relying on concealment/mirror image, so umbral armor isn't all that useful either. Hey, it's umbral armor- just cut to the chase and give them 5% concealment per shadow point, unable to be pierced by true seeing.

Greater Sigil (Krau): Seems fine.

Power of Words: Nifty. Perhaps too nifty. This would be a really good capstone... if you set it at once/day. Remember, ex abilities are SR: no, dispel: no, antimagic field: no, hell, you can't even get an AoO off of it.

Spellguard of the Citadel: Eh, it's alright. Not worth losing a caster level over: throw in Power of Words, and it might be.

All in all... it could use a little work, though I like the shadow points mechanic.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-14 at 08:24 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Shadow Casting is... pretty damn powerful. +10 to DC, even once a day, is silly good. Wanna dominate a Great Wyrm Red Dragon? Nooooo problem! Normally that's pretty much nigh impossible. Of course, at high levels, magic just gets broken in general, but no need to help it.
    Umbral Eschew: That's +2 metamagic, plus a feat (and more), for 1 shadow point. It's terrible metamagic, but that's still pretty potent- no more concentration checks!
    I'd make Shadow Casting do something like... costs shadow points equal to the spell level, adds +1 DC. Maybe as a capstone up it to two.

Umbral Metamagic & Umbral spell seem okay.

Elirhondas Elite: flavorful, not much really.

Shadow Infusions: You're a mage, mate. You can teleport around, so you don't need speed, and you definitely don't need physical attribute points (and 3-per-point is pretty ridiculous). You should be relying on concealment/mirror image, so umbral armor isn't all that useful either. Hey, it's umbral armor- just cut to the chase and give them 5% concealment per shadow point, unable to be pierced by true seeing.

Greater Sigil (Krau): Seems fine.

Power of Words: Nifty. Perhaps too nifty. This would be a really good capstone... if you set it at once/day. Remember, ex abilities are SR: no, dispel: no, antimagic field: no, hell, you can't even get an AoO off of it.

Spellguard of the Citadel: Eh, it's alright. Not worth losing a caster level over: throw in Power of Words, and it might be.

All in all... it could use a little work, though I like the shadow points mechanic.
    Nice idea with Umbral Casting - ill do it that way.

As for Umbral Eschew - perhaps make it simply remove verbal & somatic for 3 points? Not amazing, but handy for those awkward situations.

The concealment sounds good, ill replace the Umbral Body ability with it. Perhaps changing the speed to a skill check bonus and the ability score to something like fast healing/regeneration?

Edit: I've updated the OP with some relatively big changes.
    The way I see Power of Words being balanced is the action economy. You get 1 spell. And you're working on your own initiative too, since its a swift so no celeroty cheese. Ill merge it with the cap though.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-08-14 at 09:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Make Umbral Cloak for every 1 shadow point spent. Remember, displacement, a 3rd level spell, gives 50% concealment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Make Umbral Cloak for every 1 shadow point spent. Remember, displacement, a 3rd level spell, gives 50% concealment.
    Alright, fair enough. And the rest of it's okay?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Alright, fair enough. And the rest of it's okay?
    Looks fine by me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks fine by me.
    Woop! Now go PEACH the other one plx Mr Mechanics?
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-08-14 at 10:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Umbral Spell strikes me as crazy overpowered at high levels (but I'm not the best at balance so you can't necessarily trust me). If say, you are a Wizard 10/Shadow Theurge 10, you have spells per day as an 18th level wizard (as it advances casting normally except for 1st and 10nd levels), and 20 HD. That's 39 Shadow Points (20 HD + 19 from the class), which is enough to net you 6 free 9th level spells a day, with 9 shadow points left over to spend on other stuff. that's 8 9th level spells a day, not even factoring in that at 10th level your shadow points restore insanely quickly (if you simply wait an hour after firing off those free 6 spells you get another two), which is double what a 20th level wizard gets. There is no reason whatsoever for a full arcane caster (e.g. sorcerer or wizard) not to take this, as they can easily make up for the 2 level loss of spells known and get more on the side.

I have probably completely missed some clause that stops this and am just being completely stupid.

(btw, I hope this does not come across as harsh, I know you're new at it, but this will help you learn).
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yes, in theory you could burn it all for one big boom - but then you spend the rest of the day as basically an 18th level wizard at ECL20 with a couple extras (fluffy stuff + PoW).

As for the point regeneration thing - it only works while in Elirhondas (Illumian city on thr plane of shadow)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

on the point regeneration thing, my bad but you should make it clearer and specify which effects only work in Elirhondas.

But with the burning shadow points thing, it doesn't all have to be in one big boom. You could get 2 free 9th level spells in one encounter, 2 in another and then 2 in another.
    You're not spending the day as ECL 20 18th level wizard with one big boom. All the wizard gets is spells so an 18th level wizard with more 9th level spells along with other stuff on the side is better than a 20th level wizard with fewer spells.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Well it IS a capstone ...

Maybe make it only usable on spells of level HD/2?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Well it IS a capstone ...

Maybe make it only usable on spells of level HD/2?
    Doesn't stop the abuse at 20th level.
    Sorry, I think I missed that one. Make it just one spell, and it'll be balanced: I didn't read it very thoroughly, and that's what I assumed it was from the start.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't stop the abuse at 20th level.
    Sorry, I think I missed that one. Make it just one spell, and it'll be balanced: I didn't read it very thoroughly, and that's what I assumed it was from the start.
    Righto.

Gonna post the last Shadow class later - can I pre-emptively ask for a PEACH?