New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Masa's Massively Masterful Message Medium - Random Banter #146

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Going straight out to a new college is a nice whitewash.
    Some people you'll still know and keep in contact with, but otherwise, it's another beginning.
    With Facebook, this is no longer true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been trying to avoid the rain all day really. Lodged up in my loft room learning about gyroscopes.

God.

Damn.

Gyroscopes.

When I have ventured out it has been with broken umbrella in hand. The only way to travel.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    So many in-jokes.
    I think my 6th Form ran on in-jokes.

And as for rain, whether it's delightful or damned horrid for me depends on a ridiculous amount of other factors.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope.
    Britlanders often feel that way. That or we're mildly exasperated by it.

Me, I like rain; when I'm not annoyed by it, or raging helplessly and incoherently at the heavens. Or apathetic.
    Or giggling in maniacal glee because it's ruined someone's day.
    I like the rain, but I carry so much paper with me these days I can't afford to get soaked through any more.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a new epitaph. What do you reckon?

Nick "Dogmantra" Sexypants: He was always a fan of þorn.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Does anyone look at yearbooks after high school gets out? I couldn't even tell you where mine is. Didn't stop me from paying quite a lot for one like a coward and a sheep, though, even when convulsed with hate. . .Suppose it would be good to use it alongside the instructions in Sam and Max: Freelance Police ("Find someone roughly your age and swap yearbooks--they're all the same people!").
    I didn't go to school and therefore never had one, but my dad still has his and I LOVE looking at it because it is so hilarious. He was one of those popular kids who didn't know he was popular, and all these girls gave him their numbers and said they liked him and he thought they were just "being nice". Maybe some of them but a lot of them read like confessions of intent. Of course my mum was one of those girls . . . so he must have caught on eventually . . . .

You're already going back to school? Wow. That's weird.
    But most of that will be for the social parent to talk about, I think I'll have enough.
    College Husband's not super-practical though, so I may slip a wee bit of that stuff in iust in case. Especially re: mini-fridges in rooms.
    Yeah, we go back on the 27th of August, classes start the 31st. We get lots of nice long breaks though.

D'aaaaawwwww, that's cute.
    Did he understand all the words though, because there's parroting something, and discussing something?
    Either way Oldest Brother sounds cool. Make him start posting here.
    I think he did. I mean not with adult comprehension but to the extent that he could carry out intelligent conversation about it.

And he was the one who introduced me to GitP, but he hasn't posted in the forums since May and never in FB. According to his profile he was online yesterday though. yay for the search function.

IOON:
    Mother dear's setting up a Shopping Date with Favourite Maternal Aunt middle-end of September for the ball. Wearing dresses is complicated and requires much coordination and thinking.
    I've been beaten by a stereotypical girly activity.
    Yet another weakness of mine.
    I fail at all things practical.
    Excuse me while I go mope.
    I am now in the sad state of having only one pair of jeans that is not patched. (one out of five, all of which are 1-3 years old). And I have just gone to the store and found that the only styles really available in this town are a) bootcut, and b) skinny (well straightleg too but only in "mom jean" style). Both of which, I've found, tend to be designed for slim-hipped people. So I don't know what I'm going to do. Keep patching, I guess. I go to a school where the majority of the student body is neo-hippie/pretentiously indie, so no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    It's true it's hard to get out of touch with people if they want to talk to you, but if you go to a college/university and know no one else, you can definitely reinvent yourself if you so choose. Or at least make a fresh start.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    It's true it's hard to get out of touch with people if they want to talk to you, but if you go to a college/university and know no one else, you can definitely reinvent yourself if you so choose. Or at least make a fresh start.
    I meant the leaving people part, you can still re-invent yourself.

8. - Top - End - #698

And now I want to write an Avenue Q parody called "The internet is for thorn".
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    And now I want to write an Avenue Q parody called "The internet is for thorn".
    Why, thank you.

What has started this sudden flow of ideas, Dog?

10. - Top - End - #700

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    What has started this sudden flow of ideas, Dog?
    Me realising :þ was a much better tongue smily than :P and the discussion that resulted after I mentioned this to Best Online Buddy #2
    BANG → !

11. - Top - End - #701
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    As pretty as those are, who the Hell decided the first photo should be the creepy old Russian lady staring at the camera.

Scared the Hell outta me.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    We did a feature on that in the History of Photography and Film exhibit at the museum where I work. (Four of us work there and we're all designers, researchers, builders, writers, tour guides, which is fun and really keeps it from getting boring.) It's so disconcerting to see pictures that old in color.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My iTunes troubles have been fixed. Hallelujah!!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    As pretty as those are, who the Hell decided the first photo should be the creepy old Russian lady staring at the camera.

Scared the Hell outta me.
    Gotta have the authentic Russian experience Jiblets.

@Dragonrider: An awful lot of pictures used to be painted (watercolours generally), particularly if they were going to be portraits or child photos or whatever. I think it was most prevalent in the 40s-50s here, just before colour photos were really coming into bloom.

The fact these were proper colour photos is astonishing though.

16. - Top - End - #706

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    As anyone who has me on Facebook knows rain causes Malfunctioned to develop this face.
    :3

Sometimes with whistling and singing in the streets added.

I really do like rain.
    Iust singing in the rain
    What a glorious feeling you're
    *clap*
    Happy again!

My existence on that site is highly limited, and involves between ten and eighteen people who aren't from the Playground.
    I think it's quite a success to exist on FaceTube, but have so few of your meatspace friends know.

I've been trying to avoid the rain all day really. Lodged up in my loft room learning about gyroscopes.

God.

Damn.

Gyroscopes.

When I have ventured out it has been with broken umbrella in hand. The only way to travel.
    Gyroscopes are funny. Lady Gaga wore one as a dress.
    Thus ends my knowledge of gyroscopes.
    It's nice being up in the attic listening to the rain. Very soporific.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    And as for rain, whether it's delightful or damned horrid for me depends on a ridiculous amount of other factors.
    As a Britlander, the rain is a natural state of being.

I like the rain, but I carry so much paper with me these days I can't afford to get soaked through any more.
    No backpack?

Nick "Dogmantra" Sexypants: He was always a fan of þorn.
    One internet: you has won it.

Yeah, we go back on the 27th of August, classes start the 31st. We get lots of nice long breaks though.
    So do I! And most people here.

I think he did. I mean not with adult comprehension but to the extent that he could carry out intelligent conversation about it.

And he was the one who introduced me to GitP, but he hasn't posted in the forums since May and never in FB. According to his profile he was online yesterday though. yay for the search function.
    Wow. Your brother sounds cooler every time I hear about him.
    Then tell him that a shady figure from a site he hardly ever visits wants him to post more often! It'll have him posting here again. Not scary at all.
    Nah, Oldest Brother Yours sounds lovely. He what, about the same age as my Little Brother? Littlest Brother?

I am now in the sad state of having only one pair of jeans that is not patched. (one out of five, all of which are 1-3 years old). And I have just gone to the store and found that the only styles really available in this town are a) bootcut, and b) skinny (well straightleg too but only in "mom jean" style). Both of which, I've found, tend to be designed for slim-hipped people. So I don't know what I'm going to do. Keep patching, I guess. I go to a school where the majority of the student body is neo-hippie/pretentiously indie, so no problem.
    Similarly, I now have two pairs of trousers/ieans which are two years old or younger. All the others are hand-me-downs or iust very long lasting.
    Hardly a patch on them, though I've had to redo quite a few hems in my time.
    The skinny ieans are popular here too, they upset me as if you've got even the slihtest hint of a calf or any sort of curve they make your legs look unsightly.
    Hips don't eve seem to exist for ieans nowadays either.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #707

One internet: you has won it.
    You know, I knew you'd enjoy that joke.
    BANG → !

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

No backpack?
    Yup. It's not totally waterproof.
    And not very big either. The corners of my pads tend to stick out.
    I used to go into lectures with some really curly paper.
    Nothing but a Nobody

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

@Dragonrider: An awful lot of pictures used to be painted (watercolours generally), particularly if they were going to be portraits or child photos or whatever. I think it was most prevalent in the 40s-50s here, just before colour photos were really coming into bloom.

The fact these were proper colour photos is astonishing though.
    Yeah, there's a significant difference between a painting and a photograph. Partly because of trends in portrait style, I suppose, although they could get pretty amazingly realistic with paint. But it's the photograph that makes it startling.

Though daguerreotypes also can be that way because they look so eminently three-dimensional (they used a different method of capturing an image). Some of them are downright terrifying.

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Your brother sounds cooler every time I hear about him.
    Then tell him that a shady figure from a site he hardly ever visits wants him to post more often! It'll have him posting here again. Not scary at all.
    Nah, Oldest Brother Yours sounds lovely. He what, about the same age as my Little Brother? Littlest Brother?
    he's seventeen and a half. In between your brothers maybe?

Heh, maybe I WILL tell him, and he'll roll his eyes at me.

Similarly, I now have two pairs of trousers/ieans which are two years old or younger. All the others are hand-me-downs or iust very long lasting.
    Hardly a patch on them, though I've had to redo quite a few hems in my time.
    The skinny ieans are popular here too, they upset me as if you've got even the slihtest hint of a calf or any sort of curve they make your legs look unsightly.
    Hips don't eve seem to exist for ieans nowadays either.
    Yeah, skinny jeans are just. Not. My. Thing.

But I wear my jeans out. They usually last a year to a year and a half before I have to start patching. These have been somewhat less long-lasting than usual because I've worn the same three pairs every day for the last eight months, even straight through the summer.

I'm thinking now that I'm just gonna have to find jeans that fit in the hips (a difficult enough task) and alter them to fit at the legs.

Or just buy them in whatever size, slit them up the outer sideseam all the way to the waistband, and add the required amount of fabric.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, there's a significant difference between a painting and a photograph. Partly because of trends in portrait style, I suppose, although they could get pretty amazingly realistic with paint. But it's the photograph that makes it startling.

Though daguerreotypes also can be that way because they look so eminently three-dimensional (they used a different method of capturing an image). Some of them are downright terrifying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. No. Painted photographs.

They're really eerie.

21. - Top - End - #711

You know, I knew you'd enjoy that joke.
    Who doesn't like iokes about sadly defunct letter of the alphabet?

Yup. It's not totally waterproof.
    And not very big either. The corners of my pads tend to stick out.
    I used to go into lectures with some really curly paper.
    I have the same problem. I can iust about fit a pad of paper in it, but then it limits my text book space to not many.
    Luckily I don't really have any classes or lectures which involve bringing large numbers of books.

Spoiler
    Show
    That daguerreotype is slightly terrifying. I've always loved the sound of that word. It has to do with the dipthongs and the rhoticisms.

He's seventeen and a half. In between your brothers maybe?

Heh, maybe I WILL tell him, and he'll roll his eyes at me.
    Little Brother's pretty much eighteen, so yeah, in between.
    If you do tell him and he rolls his eyes I shall giggle. Especially if he posts here to do it.

Yeah, skinny jeans are just. Not. My. Thing.

But I wear my jeans out. They usually last a year to a year and a half before I have to start patching. These have been somewhat less long-lasting than usual because I've worn the same three pairs every day for the last eight months, even straight through the summer.

I'm thinking now that I'm just gonna have to find jeans that fit in the hips (a difficult enough task) and alter them to fit at the legs.

Or just buy them in whatever size, slit them up the outer sideseam all the way to the waistband, and add the required amount of fabric.
    How do you wear them out?
    Less sturdy material over there? But taking into account the age of my ieans in general, the quality of material has decreased in recent years?
    You could buy the ieans a size or two too large, dart in the waists and raise the hem. I've done that - albeit I used a belt because I don't know how to dart yet.
    If you did the alternative go for something that stands out so it looks bright.
    My mum, aunts and their friends used to o that in the '60s and '70s and in the pictures they looked really good.
    Red velvet was particularly snazzy, but it wore quite quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #712
    Barbarian in the Playground

I had this big rant about work today. And then my laptop up and restarted.

So....

*insert rant*

*end rant*

Long story short, coworker is lying and trying to get me fired.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

23. - Top - End - #713

Who doesn't like iokes about sadly defunct letter of the alphabet?
    Weird people. That's who.
    BANG → !

24. - Top - End - #714

Excuse me while I go mope.
    No. You have to stay here and not mope. I insist.

There are people who thought High School was fun? 10 years from now I think I'll still dislike HS.
    It was alright. I certainly didn't hate it. Things got gradually better as it went on. This process continued through my university years until now, I can socialise like an ordinary human being. Only weirder.

So many in-jokes. You wouldn't believe.
    I know people who can communicate exclusively through the medium of in-iokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    So it's raining outside. I got wet on the way home. I sadfaced at first, then realized that it felt really, really, strangely good to have rain fall on me.

So am I just a freak for liking the feel and random-comepleteness of rain, or mayhaps, there are others?
    Nope.
    Britlanders often feel that way. That or we're mildly exasperated by it.

Me, I like rain; when I'm not annoyed by it, or raging helplessly and incoherently at the heavens. Or apathetic.
    I like rain, up to a point. If I'm getting absolutely soaked, that's bad, but I don't mind getting a little damp. Britlander stereotype may be to complain about the rain, but I love it.

Or giggling in maniacal glee because it's ruined someone's day.
    Sometimes, you are an evil, evil person.

My existence on that site is highly limited, and involves between ten and eighteen people who aren't from the Playground.
    I think it's quite a success to exist on FaceTube, but have so few of your meatspace friends know.
    You were actually logged in yesterday! I almost fainted from the shock.

Then tell him that a shady figure from a site he hardly ever visits wants him to post more often!
    Shady? You?
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-08-23 at 05:42 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #715

Weird people. That's who.
    Their life has lost a facet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    No. You have to stay here and not mope. I insist.
    Oh, fine. But can I take another paracetamol for the New Glasses Headache? It's been seven hours since I last had one.

I like rain, up to a point. If I'm getting absolutely soaked, that's bad, but I don't mind getting a little damp. Britlander stereotype may be to complain about the rain, but I love it.
    Oh, we love many a thing, but we exist solely to complain about things and to have a cynical, odd sense of humour.
    There is the plus side of being drenched through: you can't get any wetter, so you can going walk as long as you want.

Sometimes, you are an evil, evil person.

What can I say? I'm Koorilithulu.
    But you know you do the same thing. If there's a big sporting event going on and Rain Stops Play you iust have to laugh.
    Or if someone you really can't stand (Secondary School Nemesis I'm looking at you!) and is planning a big outdoorsy day out, and then it tips down.
    Great times, great times.
    Wow. I am evil. Must be Koorilithulu's day out to play.

You were actually logged in yesterday! I almost fainted from the shock.
    My internet did! For twenty-five minutes! So sorry about suddenly disappearing on you last night.

Shady? You?
    I could be shady. At this point in time I'd be required to post an avvie of a shady Curly or something; but I don't think I have one.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #716

Oh, fine. But can I take another paracetamol for the New Glasses Headache? It's been seven hours since I last had one.
    Well, I suppose. And now I'm curious - is there something specific about new glasses that gives you a headache, or is it iust a general thing?

But you know you do the same thing. If there's a big sporting event going on and Rain Stops Play you iust have to laugh.
    Not really. It's more iust "Oh, the cricket's been stopped for rain as usual."

My internet did! For twenty-five minutes! So sorry about suddenly disappearing on you last night.
    A likely story.

I could be shady. At this point in time I'd be required to post an avvie of a shady Curly or something; but I don't think I have one.
    Have you met yourself? You're not very shady.

ION: I love Avatar: The Last Airbender.
    IOON: People should really tell me in advance when I'm supposed to be in rehearsals. Good thing I'm back at my parents', or it would've taken me about an hour to get there rather than 10 minutes.
    And now my throat hurts a bit from doing my gruff Sir Roderic voice.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #717

Well, I suppose. And now I'm curious - is there something specific about new glasses that gives you a headache, or is it iust a general thing?
    I thought everyone got the New Glasses Headache. This is the first new prescription I've had in some two and a half years, and it's fairly different from the old one, which has been piss poor for my eyesight for the past year or so.

Not really. It's more iust "Oh, the cricket's been stopped for rain as usual."
    It's more fun indulging in maniacal glee. Go all Mikado on the rain.

A likely story.
    I know. Completely likely.

Have you met yourself? You're not very shady.
    I've never met myself, no, what am I like?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

That daguerreotype is slightly terrifying. I've always loved the sound of that word. It has to do with the dipthongs and the rhoticisms.
    I couldn't ever figure out how to pronounce it "dagayr-ee-oh-type?" No. When I figured out that it was the name of its inventor (Daguerre) with an "otype" added, it became much easier.

Little Brother's pretty much eighteen, so yeah, in between.
    If you do tell him and he rolls his eyes I shall giggle. Especially if he posts here to do it.
    Hehe. I might have to wait to tell him so he doesn't figure out I've been telling stories on him in the thread.

How do you wear them out?
    Less sturdy material over there? But taking into account the age of my ieans in general, the quality of material has decreased in recent years?
    I'm not sure. Problem #1: I typically go months alternating between two different pairs, so they get a LOT of use in a short period of time.

Problem #2: I wear out the knees. Usually the right knee. Both because I kneel on the floor a lot and for the same reason as

Problem #3: There's also one point at the right thigh that tends to wear through after a while too. I know exactly what the problem is . . . I always sit with my right leg tucked under me in such a way that it puts pressure there and at the knee. (I'm doing it right now, as a matter of fact.)

But it's also probably a denim quality issue because the majority of them are fairly thin denim (probably a function of my fondness for stretchy jeans - I like never worrying about unbuttoning them ,because I am lazy).

You could buy the ieans a size or two too large, dart in the waists and raise the hem. I've done that - albeit I used a belt because I don't know how to dart yet.
    If you did the alternative go for something that stands out so it looks bright.
    My mum, aunts and their friends used to o that in the '60s and '70s and in the pictures they looked really good.
    Red velvet was particularly snazzy, but it wore quite quickly.
    The idea of red velvet makes me salivate with delight. But can be difficult to find. My favorite plan is to find some oddly colored denim jeans (purple? green? red? Usually they come in hideous waist-up-at-the-armpits styles) and take the fabric out of those. But it's also a matter of finding jeans with a waistline I like at said thrift store - it's hard to find jeans that are long enough in the back (and don't "gap") but are short enough in the front.

Eh. You know what the solution to all our problems is? HOMEMADE CLOTHES. The other day I took apart a lovely velvet skirt I never wear and turned it into a shirt that fits me probably better than any garment ever has before. My dad told me I looked like I stepped out of a '70s photograph and to be fair I HAVE seen pictures of his mother wearing similar shirts in that era.

@Thufir: Every time I get new glasses, I also get a headache. Something about the brain not being used to adjusted prescription/angle/what have you, probably.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm. Is it just the knees or what? And Ninja'd!

Because if that's the case, it's either A. the product of having a body-type not supported by jeans manufacturers (see, my ex girlfriend who was almost 6' but had a waist size generally only seen in petites) or B. they intentionally cut them so the knees wear out necessitating higher turnover of sales.

Why can't you be bothered to unbutton jeans when taking them off?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-08-23 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #720
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    I had this big rant about work today. And then my laptop up and restarted.

So....

*insert rant*

*end rant*

Long story short, coworker is lying and trying to get me fired.
    What, punting helpless leprechauns isn't solving your problem?

Or, in other words, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken