New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Making use of a Celestial/Infernal AC

Hi all,

Just reading over the Planar Ranger variant recently, and was intrigued by the fact that their Animal Companion gets either the Celestial or Fiendish template. The most significant differences this makes are A.) type (Magical Beast), meaning a lot of Animal boosting spells and such won't function*; B.) Intelligence score - Int 3 means that it is capable of reasoning and a language.

*[edit]Just checked, and the Planar Ranger's spells are modified so that any spells that affect animals also work on Celestial and Fiendish versions. Any summoner in your group would be sure to appreciated an Animal Growth spell cast on the Celestial Bisons he just summoned!

As far as I can tell, it's still treated as an animal companion, so feats and such that boost an AC should still work (Natural Bond et. al.).

Would it by worthwhile going into Beastheart Adept, as a lot of it's abilities work with it's Monstrous Companions?

...anyway, general thoughts or suggestions for getting the most out of a Celestial/Infernal Animal Companion?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Making use of a Celestial/Infernal AC

A Celestial companion is good aligned. They get more feats at every 3rd hit die just like anyone else. It can take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty to get buffs as though it had gear, without you having to spend a single copper. This works out better with a Druid AC and the feat Celestial Companion from BoED, since they tend to have much higher HD and are generally just much stronger, but it will still make a Ranger AC much more useful in combat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Nice one! I hadn't thought about VoP...some DMs might view it as a little cheesy, though...

Makes me wonder...how about a Fiendish AC who pledges loyalty to an Elder Evil...bonus Vile feats!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

"My pet camel has taken a sacred vow not to want for any material possessions."

"..Get out of my group."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
    "My pet camel has taken a sacred vow not to want for any material possessions."

"..Get out of my group."
    Not just any camel, a Heavenly Camel!

...but yes, I tend to agree - not many DMs are going to be thrilled with a VoP Animal Companion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Not just any camel, a Heavenly Camel!

...but yes, I tend to agree - not many DMs are going to be thrilled with a VoP Animal Companion.
    Well, to be technical, it IS Celestial, it IS Intelligent, and it can make such a choice should it wish to. But yeah, preeeetty hax. Amusing though.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.