New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] How to increase Max Dex bonus?

A Mithral Chain Shirt has a +6 Max Dex bonus, while most Dex-based characters will hit 24 Dex by level 9-10. I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead. Are there any other ways?
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] How to increase Max Dex bonus?

Bracers of Armor? That's what I do on characters that exceed their Dex bonus by enough.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

After Mithril Shirt, there's only Thistledown Leather/Padded Armor and Celestial Armor, which you should ultimately go for, especially with Nimbleness (once you exceed 30 Dex, you should consider Bracers of Armor instead, but again, Armors can have properties which tend to be very worthwhile, particularly if you have a Cleric casting Magic Vestment on your items).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    but again, Armors can have properties which tend to be very worthwhile, particularly if you have a Cleric casting Magic Vestment on your items).
    According to A&E you can enchant Bracers of Armor with any armor properties you want. Just to open that option to you...

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    A Mithral Chain Shirt has a +6 Max Dex bonus, while most Dex-based characters will hit 24 Dex by level 9-10. I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead. Are there any other ways?
    Stupid if you don't include touch AC.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Stupid if you don't include touch AC.
    MIC Ghost Ward Property >_>

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    According to A&E you can enchant Bracers of Armor with any armor properties you want. Just to open that option to you...
    Yeah, but:
    1) That's an A&EG specific rule. In games not incorporating A&EG, that's not game.
    2) You'll miss out on actual AC since you can't cast Magic Vestment on Bracers of Armor. The limit on Bracers is +10 virtual, +8 actual enhancement I recall. That means getting any of the v. good abilities (Soulfire, Greater Fortifications, etc.) is going to put you over the limit and start to cut into your AC.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead.
    Not if you already have a normal +5 enhancement on the armor. Nor if you're planning to get a Magic Vestment spell on the armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    MIC Ghost Ward Property >_>
    Yeah, but that costs another +1 ...

EDIT: Another option to boost Max Dex, if you're already using lighter-than-chain-shirt armor, is the Shadow Silk special material from Tome of Magic.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-08-16 at 04:37 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Yeah, but:
    1) That's an A&EG specific rule. In games not incorporating A&EG, that's not game.
    2) You'll miss out on actual AC since you can't cast Magic Vestment on Bracers of Armor. The limit on Bracers is +10 virtual, +8 actual enhancement I recall. That means getting any of the v. good abilities (Soulfire, Greater Fortifications, etc.) is going to put you over the limit and start to cut into your AC.
    Virtual +13 for bracers, actually. And there's a whole thread about whether A&E guide is 3.5 compatible, so no need to bring it up here again.(fyi, it was never errataed to 3.5 so it should work fine.) Of course, at those levels AC is meaningless, miss chances are what you want anyway.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #10

You could try going for nightscale armor from Underdark.

1k gp // +2 AC // +10 max dex // 0 check penalty // 5% AF // 3 lbs

Then make it Githcraft (DMG2) or give it the caster armor modification(Dragon 358 pg 39) to remove the 5% AF using non magical means.... plus there are more armor mods in that article.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-16 at 05:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep in mind "max dex bonus" is only to your armor class it doesn't apply to skills or attack rolls.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just wear Gnome Twistcloth from Races of Stone. Max Dex -.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Check out the Segmented armor template (Dragon # 358, pages 42-43) for +1 to MDB.

14. - Top - End - #14

then, of course, there's the commoner's armor. get some clothes, enhance them to +8 armor, cast magic vestments, enhance with whatever abilities you like. 0 Max dex, 0 ASF, weighs 1lb, and it looks much less conspicuous than armor.

EDIT:
    IIRC, you can't simply make this armor +5 because of the straight armor enchantment on them already, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-08-16 at 09:16 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

15. - Top - End - #15

I may be wrong, but I think the drow-lich Dyrr wears robes of armor +9 that grant some other abilities. Not sure if they are strait up armor abilities though.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-16 at 10:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Celestial Armor has an armor bonus of +5 before magical enhancements and a max dex bonus to AC of 8. Also lets you fly 1/day.

Besides being trivial to break, as mentioned, nimbleness also applies to your touch AC.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)