New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Creating or Re-Creating Spells

A scenario I am considering is a time when magic is just coming back into prominance after centuries of supression (no magic power available). Arcane magic is just in its rebirth. Warlocks have emerged, but are hated and hunted. Same with Sorcerers. Wizards opperate in secret. At this point, over half of the spells previously known have been lost. Wizards the world over are scrambling to either find lost scrolls, ancient spellbooks, or trying to recreate lost spells. A wizard can "copywright" a spell he creates and use it to gain wealth, power, and status.
    Since wizards will initially be nerfed in power through lack of the extreme versatility they normally enjoy, I want them to be able to create spells, but not too easily. I heard there were spell creation rules in UA, but I couldn't find them.
    I was thinking of using some combination of Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana and base it on spell level/character level.

Has anybody in the playground used spell cration rules? How did you do it?
    Last edited by thompur; 2010-08-18 at 08:54 AM.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Creating or Re-Creating Spells

You want the DMG, not UA. Page 198.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Mostly through RP, with a spellcraft check at a DC of 15 + proposed spell level at the end to see if they got it all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

One thing that is in UA that might interest you in Incantations. Also, that sounds like a really cool idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    One thing that is in UA that might interest you in Incantations. Also, that sounds like a really cool idea.
    I hadn't really looked at incantations, but they fit in very well with my concept. Thanks Volthawk!
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!