New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] The Plane of Dreams

If you are called Ormur or Palli, this isn't a thread for you.

My players are about to head for the Plane of Dreams to rescue one of their companions. To make a long story short, the name of the plane is something I blurted out in a rush, when the players did something I did not really expect them to do.
    I had already decided there was a Plane of Dreams in that setting. The vague idea I had is that it is a plane where reality is constantly shifting and morphing in mostly unpredictable ways. When you dream, you're actually getting viewings of what is happening on some region on that plane.

Now, the "problem" is - what kind of an encounter (or encounters) does a party consisting of a 14th level Druid, a 13th level Wizard, and possibly a 10th level Cleric get when on a plane like that?
    I figure terrain that changes from round to round, and illusion-like effects are something that should be present. But what about monsters? Doppelgangers? Changelings?

The person to be rescued is a 13th level, currently Insane Barbarian. Any ideas on what kind of a pickle she could have gotten herself into while in an environment like this?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Plane of Dreams

Quori seem like a logical choice. They can be imported from Eberron into your setting, if you have access to the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    1 plat = 10 gold.
    1 gold = 10 silver
    1 silver = 10 cp
    1 cp = Federal Prison For Life.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If my memory serves, any creature that exists (and many that don't) can be encountered in the plane of dreams.

Look up all the "silliest D&D monster" articles floating around the tubes and use those.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Two questions:

1. I'm not familiar with the Plane of Dreams, what happens when you sleep there?
    2. What did your players do that you weren't expecting?

I might be able to help if those are answered (mostly the first question).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Assuming the mind of the dreamer affects the surroundings - I have a vision of a hall of mirrors producing distorted copies of said barbarian (mostly obvious, some subtly distorted.) The trick would be to locate the correct barbarian, while not getting killed by occasional insane attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

My Realm of Dreams is home to anthropomorphic animal races, slaad, formians, mind flayers, cranium rats, dream dwarves, the Seelie Court and associated fey, and a whole pile of other things. Put anything there. Anything at all. Dreamscapes are places where you can throw out your wildest imaginings without worrying about plausibility. In the dreamscape, breaking verisimilitude actually enhances verisimilitude!
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ECS pg. 95 has the description of the plane's traits. A notable one is that the time goes by ten times faster than in the material plane.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Ever seen Inception? If not, see it!