New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Best superhero system?

Hey, guys
    I was wondering what was the best superhero system, and for what reason? I just picked up the Mutants and Masterminds book, and it looked really cool. Kind of a superhero d20 system. But there's also the Hero system, and the newer Icons. What's different between all of these superhero systems (and perhaps others)?
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Best superhero system?

Mutants and Masterminds is my favorite by far. Game balance goes out the window if the GM isn't careful, but let's face it; comic books are like that too. Does anyone really think Aquaman should be on the same super-team as Superman?

But yeah, the system captures the feel of comic books far better than any I've ever played. I also find that it's a great system for non-superhero modern age campaigns. So many action movie characters could basically be described as low-level supers with extra endurance and just slightly super-human abilities.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Best superhero system?

I've been hearing good things about Icons. I think it's supposed to be fairly rules-light, as opposed to the crunchier d20.

I'd probably go with Wushu if I wanted to play/run a supers game, but it isn't designed for supers, just for zany hijinks of that sort.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II