New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Spell research: refluffing help needed!

So I'm a devoted druid player. I've been thinking, wouldn't it be cool to research a few spells for myself? Nothing gamebreaking, of course, and I'm willing to pay the spell research costs.

My problem is, sitting around in a library or a lab just doesn't seem like a druid-y thing to do. So here's my challenge to you playgrounders: Come up with a good way to re-fluff the 1000 gold and 1 week per level requirement so it fits with a druid.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spell research: refluffing help needed!

Making huge $$$ donations to environmental protection organizations until your deity (or nature itself) gives you the spell you want? They are divine casters after all.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Making huge $$$ donations to environmental protection organizations until your deity (or nature itself) gives you the spell you want? They are divine casters after all.
    I'm not sure the EPA has been invented yet. I like the idea of a donation but I'm not sure what a nature-worshiping panentheistic (no that is not a spelling error) would donate to.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

To the local druid circle, or the local branch of the church of the god of nature, obviously! They both need funds for certain things, such as for the purchase of resources they can't grow (not everything grows everywhere, after all) or for the hiring of mercenaries to help protect them in hard times when orcs and worse close in around them (which happens a lot, after all).

Perhaps the things you need to research the spell (holy texts, special oinments that are expensive to produce, etc) cost money.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    To the local druid circle, or the local branch of the church of the god of nature, obviously! They both need funds for certain things, such as for the purchase of resources they can't grow (not everything grows everywhere, after all) or for the hiring of mercenaries to help protect them in hard times when orcs and worse close in around them (which happens a lot, after all).

Perhaps the things you need to research the spell (holy texts, special oinments that are expensive to produce, etc) cost money.
    Not a bad idea. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a world where druids are always loners and there really are no established nature deities.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Not a bad idea. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a world where druids are always loners and there really are no established nature deities.
    Then the reagents and access to texts concerning both the effect you're trying to create and the magical theory behind it cost money to buy/access. Now, if those are free (possible, since everything else seems to be a no-fly), then we've got issues, since I dunno what else might work.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-08-20 at 08:25 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Then the reagents and access to texts concerning both the effect you're trying to create and the magical theory behind it cost money to buy/access. Now, if those are free (possible, since everything else seems to be a no-fly), then we've got issues, since I dunno what else might work.
    Might be an idea. I think I'm mostly having trouble envisioning a druid spending a bunch of time perusing magical texts in an old library. Although I suppose there might be some rare works in the druidic language. Reagents, now...there's a good idea I hadn't thought of. Maybe you have to obtain so many GP worth of magical plants.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. My idea is that your druid has to find a powerful area/object of nature magic, and then make some sort of sacrifice (that has monetary value equal to 1000 gp/spell level) so that the area/object grants him the new spell. The remoteness explains the several weeks this research can take.

Examples:

• An ancient tree that has guarded its forest from those who would defile it for millenia. You must bury X thousand gold pieces among its roots, and it will grant you the spell.
    • A deep cavern, that can only be entered by crawling along hundreds' of miles of narrow tunnels. Once there, you have to "reunite" X 1000-gp rubies with the earth by throwing them into a very deep pit.
    • Same as the last one, except it's a cave under the ocean, and you use Pearls.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-08-20 at 08:35 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Might be an idea. I think I'm mostly having trouble envisioning a druid spending a bunch of time perusing magical texts in an old library. Although I suppose there might be some rare works in the druidic language. Reagents, now...there's a good idea I hadn't thought of. Maybe you have to obtain so many GP worth of magical plants.
    Well, unless your druid has an encyclopedic knowledge of magical theory and can spin magic like a potter spins clay, it's likely he's gonna need to look stuff up somewhere. Perhaps access to an enchanted grove, where the fundamental nature of magic is inscribed upon the very trees themselves? Spin it however ya like, but it makes sense that you'll need to double check with someone at some point to make sure you actually CAN do X or whatever.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

1000 gold for some kind of salve/potion/something that heightens one's awareness, then spending a week in the woods after using it? You spend time meditating, contemplating, etc, and you gain a deep understanding of the spell and its use at the end of the week.

Maybe.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm...now I'm thinking focus stones maybe. With the rarity of the needed stone dependent on the power of the spell of course.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    Hm. My idea is that your druid has to find a powerful area/object of nature magic, and then make some sort of sacrifice (that has monetary value equal to 1000 gp/spell level) so that the area/object grants him the new spell. The remoteness explains the several weeks this research can take.

Examples:

• An ancient tree that has guarded its forest from those who would defile it for millenia. You must bury X thousand gold pieces among its roots, and it will grant you the spell.
    • A deep cavern, that can only be entered by crawling along hundreds' of miles of narrow tunnels. Once there, you have to "reunite" X 1000-gp rubies with the earth by throwing them into a very deep pit.
    • Same as the last one, except it's a cave under the ocean, and you use Pearls.

I'd go with something along these lines. Very flavorful, I like it a lot. Plus, it gives you a quest - and you can combine it with one of the ones further down, sense-enhancing reagents/whatever, and a boatload of meditation, so that instead of burying gold under a tree, you're spending X weeks meditating under it.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I'm thinking of working with Dr. Wonton's idea here. Will obviously have to run it past my DM, but it shouldn't be a problem.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Initial research of spells requires rare herbs/leaves/fur/whatever which is very expensive and hard to get. As you start to understand the magic at work, you are able to do it yourself without relying on the 'crutch' provided by the reagent.

Not exactly the same, but meh...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Meditation, and giving back to nature, your character meditates and is given a vision, the vision is of the druid doing something, say sanctifying a burned portion of forest with expensive incense, pushing the taint of {insert setting specific evil here} for a period.

In exchange nature gives you a second vision during meditation afterwards. The vision is the new spell
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.