New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Lvl 0 or 1 area damage spell with range?[3.5]

I don't have my books with me right now so:

Is there a damage spell which has both an area effect and a range at level 0 or level 1?

I don't care if it only does 1 point of damage, that would be okay. I would like it a low level spell to apply Fell Drain to at low levels, when Arcane Thesis is not available yet.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Lvl 0 or 1 area damage spell with range?[3.5]

Does a cone count? Burning Hands is a 15ft Cone shaped burst, or do you want range to be utterly disconnected from the caster?

What class is this for?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I don't have my books with me right now so:

Is there a damage spell which has both an area effect and a range at level 0 or level 1?

I don't care if it only does 1 point of damage, that would be okay. I would like it a low level spell to apply Fell Drain to at low levels, when Arcane Thesis is not available yet.
    Level 1:
    Burning Hands? It has an area and a range.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I forgot to say this is for a character who uses wizard/sorcerer spells.

And yes, I meant spells with a separately listed area and range, like Zone of Glacial Cold or Fireball. Burning Hands is my fall back plan, but I really want something that does less damage and has an area which can be aimed in the manner of Zone of Glacial Cold's area.

5. - Top - End - #5

How about Ice Dagger from the Spell Compendium? 1st level, 25+5/2CL range, 1d4/CL cold damage to an initial target, and 1 splash damage to adjacent creatures. Ranged touch, no save.
    Last edited by The White Knight; 2010-08-21 at 01:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Beholder

Hail of Stone from SpC. 10ft diameter cylinder 40ft high cast at 100+10ft/level range.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Both of those sound great, thanks.

There wouldn't happen to be a similar level 0 spell which does 1 point of damage in a small area with no additional effects, would there?

Balance wise, if you took the deafening effect off of Sonic Snap and allowed a saving throw to avoid the 1 point of damage, and made it affect a small area, would that be too powerful for a level 0 spell?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm. Caltrops? Not sure how that would interact with Fell Drain. I think I would allow it by Rule of Cool, though. Covering the battlefield with caltrops that are sparking with black necrotic energy? Sweet.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

There wouldn't happen to be a similar level 0 spell which does 1 point of damage in a small area with no additional effects, would there?

Balance wise, if you took the deafening effect off of Sonic Snap and allowed a saving throw to avoid the 1 point of damage, and made it affect a small area, would that be too powerful for a level 0 spell?
    To my knowledge, no.

As for the second, ordinarily not, but asking about balance seems ridiculous. Not saying 1 damage to everyone in a 5ft radius is terribly powerful for 0th level, nor is one level drain in a 5ft radius game breaking as a 2nd level spell, but you are specifically crafting a spell (completely new spell since this has nothing to do with the original) to make use of a specific tactic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vangor View Post
    Hail of Stone from SpC. 10ft diameter cylinder 40ft high cast at 100+10ft/level range.
    Hehe, and the nice thing is that it's instantaneous conjuration (usable in AMF!) with no save, SR or attack roll.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, fell drain AOE as a cantrip... that's either going to ruin someone's fun or everyone's fun.

edit: nevermind, Fell Drain is +2 and I thought it was only +1. This isn't too bad actually. Until Metamagic School Focus or Easy Metamagic comes into play.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-08-21 at 02:37 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Yeah, fell drain AOE as a cantrip... that's either going to ruin someone's fun or everyone's fun.

edit: nevermind, Fell Drain is +2 and I thought it was only +1. This isn't too bad actually. Until Metamagic School Focus or Easy Metamagic comes into play.
    Basically what I'm trying to do is get this into as low a level slot as possible without giving my character all of the tools to cause a wightocalypse with Locate City.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

How about Quickblast? Up to 5 points of damage in an area, no save. level 1.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingPirate

I know you said Arcane Thesis wasn't available, but if you are taking AT, you will also want Sculpt spell. Because while Fell Drain Hail of Stone is cool... Sculpted Fell Draining Hail of Stone is mind numbing. It's arguably worth the 4th level spell slot, even if Thesis isn't an option.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

For more (but different) fun with low level damage spells and Fell Drain, try Thunderhead. Level 1, 1 damage, reflex negates, single target, but it repeats for 1 round/level. It's hard to match negative levels = caster level (separate reflex save to negate each individual one, with gradually increasing penalties for the earlier negative levels) for saying "screw you" to a really tough but not too agile single enemy, though it does take a little while to really kick in.

At higher levels with Arcane Thesis, add Chain Spell. And Extend Spell.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-08-21 at 09:51 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I know you said Arcane Thesis wasn't available, but if you are taking AT, you will also want Sculpt spell. Because while Fell Drain Hail of Stone is cool... Sculpted Fell Draining Hail of Stone is mind numbing. It's arguably worth the 4th level spell slot, even if Thesis isn't an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    For more (but different) fun with low level damage spells and Fell Drain, try Thunderhead. Level 1, 1 damage, reflex negates, single target, but it repeats for 1 round/level. It's hard to match negative levels = caster level (separate reflex save to negate each individual one, with gradually increasing penalties for the earlier negative levels) for saying "screw you" to a really tough but not too agile single enemy, though it does take a little while to really kick in.

At higher levels with Arcane Thesis, add Chain Spell. And Extend Spell.

Wow. Great ideas. I've already cleared the use of Fell Drain, etc. with my next DM. I told him about the wightocalypse, and from his reaction, as long as I don't try to apply Fell Drain to something with a ridiculously large area like Locate City, he's fine with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Oh yeah, technically it's multi-target rather than area, but in a lot of situations that's actually good: Magic Missile.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #19

Kobold

Sonic Snap. Especially the fell drain version. Accuracy of a Magic Missile with an area effect.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Wow. Great ideas. I've already cleared the use of Fell Drain, etc. with my next DM. I told him about the wightocalypse, and from his reaction, as long as I don't try to apply Fell Drain to something with a ridiculously large area like Locate City, he's fine with it.
    The locate city thing doesn't actually work to the best of my recollection.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the Explosive Spell part that doesn't work. Fell Drain, unfortunately, does.
    Last edited by TaintedLight; 2010-08-22 at 02:54 AM.