New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] immune to damage

I'm looking at way my character can become immune to damage, and the things that really struck me was a warforged can become immune to nonlethal damage through a feat or the warforged juggernaut prestige class, and regeneration turns all but a few damage types into nonlethal damage. is there any way to get regeneration on a warforged without trollblooded (as dragon magazine is not allowed in my campaign)? this is preferably by level 10, but if necessary can be brought a few levels above there

also, are there any other ways to become immune to damage by level 10?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] immune to damage

There's the Ring of Regeneration, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm pretty sure it's a Core item, too, though it's pretty expensive.

I don't think that there's any other logical way to gain Regeneration as a Warforged, but there is a Half-Troll template in Fiend Folio, I believe. It grants regeneration but can't be applied to Warforged legally. It's specifically applied through a magical procedure, though, not breeding. You could talk to your DM about applying it (though I doubt that this build will ever make it within ten feet of a legitimate DM ).
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    There's the Ring of Regeneration, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm pretty sure it's a Core item, too, though it's pretty expensive.

I don't think that there's any other logical way to gain Regeneration as a Warforged, but there is a Half-Troll template in Fiend Folio, I believe. It grants regeneration but can't be applied to Warforged legally. It's specifically applied through a magical procedure, though, not breeding. You could talk to your DM about applying it (though I doubt that this build will ever make it within ten feet of a legitimate DM ).
    no worries about getting it close to the DM. You should see the cheese the other players are pulling off.

anyways, he won't allow half-troll, I already checked, and it gives fast healing rather than regen. and ring of regeneration only speeds up natural healing a bit, not enough to matter in a fight, and it doesn't convert damage to nonlethal either, I believe, which makes it a bit moot anyway

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Half-golem (clay) from MM2 gets you pretty darn close. Immunity to spells, supernatural abilities, piercing damage, and slashing damage is a pretty broad spectrum.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a way for you to be a non-warforged and trick your way past the feat or PrC requirements? I think there's something changelings can take...
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    no worries about getting it close to the DM. You should see the cheese the other players are pulling off.

anyways, he won't allow half-troll, I already checked, and it gives fast healing rather than regen. and ring of regeneration only speeds up natural healing a bit, not enough to matter in a fight, and it doesn't convert damage to nonlethal either, I believe, which makes it a bit moot anyway
    Well, then... Nevermind.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    Half-golem (clay) from MM2 gets you pretty darn close. Immunity to spells, supernatural abilities, piercing damage, and slashing damage is a pretty broad spectrum.
    very true. I'll have to check with the DM on that one

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

It's pretty clear the the designers didn't want you to be able to both have regeneration, and be immune to non-lethal damage, and for once, they actually did a pretty good job of making it hard to get both, barring DM intervention.

There is one creature that I know of that has both, the Atropal, and because of that you can only deal damage to it with "good weapons or sentient weapons (or otherwise living weapons)" which defeat its regeneration, and even then it still has dr 15/good and silver and epic.

You might be able to do it by having a character that has regeneration, and then becomes a Necropolitan. Becoming undead makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but it also makes you lose your con score, which probably causes you to lose your regeneration, depending on how you interpret this:

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.
    It doesn't actually say you lose the regeneration ability if you lose your con score, but that's probably the intent. The Atropal breaks this rule because... well there's no reason given, it just does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    It's pretty clear the the designers didn't want you to be able to both have regeneration, and be immune to non-lethal damage, and for once, they actually did a pretty good job of making it hard to get both, barring DM intervention.

There is one creature that I know of that has both, the Atropal, and because of that you can only deal damage to it with "good weapons or sentient weapons (or otherwise living weapons)" which defeat its regeneration, and even then it still has dr 15/good and silver and epic.

You might be able to do it by having a character that has regeneration, and then becomes a Necropolitan. Becoming undead makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but it also makes you lose your con score, which probably causes you to lose your regeneration, depending on how you interpret this:

It doesn't actually say you lose the regeneration ability if you lose your con score, but that's probably the intent. The Atropal breaks this rule because... well there's no reason given, it just does.
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

You can fint it Here but it's an Epic creature, so no LA, and not really viable for PCs.

Edit: I think there's a weaker version, the "Atropal Scion", but still not meant to be played, I don't think, and I can't quite remember where it's found. I don't think those have regeneration, either
    Last edited by Moriato; 2010-08-21 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you mind if I quote that in my signature?

Also, the stats for the Atropal are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...on.htm#atropal

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not usable as a PC, but the Ghost Tarrasque was the most insanely hard fight ever. We were almost TPK'd, until I found a solution:

Spoiler
    Show

Keep using Daze, various Stuns and the like to hold it off for ten minutes so that the Cleric could cast Resurrection on it. Seriously, who would think of that other than me?
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Do you mind if I quote that in my signature?
    of course, go ahead

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

of course, go ahead
    Much appreciated.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    It's not usable as a PC, but the Ghost Tarrasque was the most insanely hard fight ever. We were almost TPK'd, until I found a solution:

Spoiler
    Show

Keep using Daze, various Stuns and the like to hold it off for ten minutes so that the Cleric could cast Resurrection on it. Seriously, who would think of that other than me?
    Out of curiosity, how did you bypass the ghost's immunity to stuns since it's an undead and stuff? They're pretty much impossible do disable besides anti-undead stuff and daze.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

High Damage Reduction can help if you're going down the non-warforged path....armors and magical items that grant such can help you out. :)
    Drow Samurai avatar by Ranger Mattos!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'm looking at way my character can become immune to damage, and the things that really struck me was a warforged can become immune to nonlethal damage through a feat or the warforged juggernaut prestige class, and regeneration turns all but a few damage types into nonlethal damage. is there any way to get regeneration on a warforged without trollblooded (as dragon magazine is not allowed in my campaign)? this is preferably by level 10, but if necessary can be brought a few levels above there

also, are there any other ways to become immune to damage by level 10?
    It's not strict immunity, but you are DAMNED hard to kill as a Crusader with Stone Power, especially at low levels.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Note, the feat requires you to not have regeneration. Warforged Juggernaut 2 is okay though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

There's also the Vile Death spell. SpC version makes you immune to death, so who cares how much damage you've taken ?

20. - Top - End - #20

The Delay Death spell combined with Beastland Ferocity can make you immune to damage provided you have a way to heal back all the damage you've taken.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

what is Stone Power? where is it?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Stone Power is a feat from ToB that allows you to subtract a number equal to your BAB or 5, whichever is less, from your attacks for the round to gain +X temp HP for one round, where X is 2 times the accepted penalty. That means your delayed damage pool is emptying into your temporary hit points and any DR you have will apply to the whole pool, not hit-by-hit.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLight View Post
    Stone Power is a feat from ToB that allows you to subtract a number equal to your BAB or 5, whichever is less, from your attacks for the round to gain +X temp HP for one round, where X is 2 times the accepted penalty. That means your delayed damage pool is emptying into your temporary hit points and any DR you have will apply to the whole pool, not hit-by-hit.
    so, if I have this right, you get hit for, say, 10 damage and you only have a delayed damage pool of 5, then your temporary hit poins (which you likely have about 10 of) take all the damage that flows over the top instead. then, next round, you can drain that remaining 5 points into a new set of temporary hit points next round? Wow. Too bad you can't increase stone power's amount... unless you can? Is there a way to break this further?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

so, if I have this right, you get hit for, say, 10 damage and you only have a delayed damage pool of 5, then your temporary hit poins (which you likely have about 10 of) take all the damage that flows over the top instead. then, next round, you can drain that remaining 5 points into a new set of temporary hit points next round? Wow. Too bad you can't increase stone power's amount... unless you can? Is there a way to break this further?
    You have it exactly. What you could theoretically do for more Steely Resolve abuse is get enough wizard to get Polymorph, then take Minor Shapechange. Swift action to gain 10 temp HP, though you lose a lot of crusader that way. I'm not sure how else one can break Stone Power, but there is probably someone else around here more fluent in cheese than I.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did you bypass the ghost's immunity to stuns since it's an undead and stuff? They're pretty much impossible do disable besides anti-undead stuff and daze.
    DM Forgetfulness. Just Kidding, We used Daze, Hide from Undead, Wall of Force, anything we could do to keep it there and not Disrupting our Cleric. Most of the "Stuns" were nonstandard. The thing was Impossible to kill otherwise. Eventually we gave up setting traps and had the Sorcerer use Time Stop and Spam Summon Monster Spells. This was able to hold it off for a while. For the rest of it we just used daze and hoped it failed its save.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLight View Post
    What you could theoretically do for more Steely Resolve abuse is get enough wizard to get Polymorph, then take Minor Shapechange. Swift action to gain 10 temp HP, though you lose a lot of crusader that way.
    That's what Jade Phoenix Mage is for, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    That's what Jade Phoenix Mage is for, right?
    JPM definitely helps, but losing all of that Steely Resolve improvement is what's hurting. The more of that he gets and the more temp HP he can achieve, the more solid an idea this becomes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DM Forgetfulness. Just Kidding, We used Daze, Hide from Undead, Wall of Force, anything we could do to keep it there and not Disrupting our Cleric. Most of the "Stuns" were nonstandard. The thing was Impossible to kill otherwise. Eventually we gave up setting traps and had the Sorcerer use Time Stop and Spam Summon Monster Spells. This was able to hold it off for a while. For the rest of it we just used daze and hoped it failed its save.
    Er daze the cantrip.
    Last edited by olentu; 2010-08-22 at 01:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Daze the Cantrip. For the record, that sorcerer's Charisma was somewhere in the 40's without enhancements.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Daze the Cantrip. For the record, that sorcerer's Charisma was somewhere in the 40's without enhancements.
    Hmm how did you bypass the target line.