Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Transfering a campaign from 3.5 to nWoD

You read right.

After le conclusion of the last campaign in my homebrewed world, the player said they like the universe but the power-levelof 3.5 made it a little hard to care about the NPCs. As the paladin put it: " why should I invest 16 000gp of my treasure to start an order of knights when could put that cash on a right of protection that will have a much greater effect in defeating the Balor?"

So I went looking for a new system and snce the next chapter will be set at a technological level around 1870, I wanted to use the storyteller system.

Now, why not simply Exalted with guns? The rule of cool and over-the-topinness of Exalted would not get rid of the problem. Why not E6? Class system is not a favorite here.

so nWoD it is but what should I be warry of? The players cannot be monsters (or aim for it but I night throw a bone or two) but I wanted to look for advice and warnings about the power levels of various templates and books. There will be 5 of us and I already own Vampire and the WoD rulebook so we can all chip in for a book each.

Main Questions (but feel free to throw ideas and warnings):
    1- How much do Mages break the game and how do I limit that?
    2- What can I give to a normal human to make him badass normal?
    3- I'll use a merit to justify them not dying from a bad roll outside of a dramatic combat. Is there a better way?
    4- Are divine casters better emulated by Mages or Hunters or something else?

Thanks in advance!
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Transfering a campaign from 3.5 to nWoD

Quote Originally Posted by Albonor View Post
    1- How much do Mages break the game and how do I limit that?
    A lot! Mages can learn any powers, and even one they do not know yet, they can still cast (with a lower dice pool). And the powers are open-ended enough that they can be used creative ways.

2- What can I give to a normal human to make him badass normal?
    Make them Hunters.

In all honesty, putting normal mortals up against supernaturals is a good way to get them killed quickly. Defending against powers is almost always at a disadvantage because defenders use two stats (power stat and usually something like resolve or composure), whereas attackers use 3. If your PCs don't have a power stat, they will be at an even worse disadvantage.

4- Are divine casters better emulated by Mages or Hunters or something else?
    Mages or maybe Sanctified Vampires.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!