A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 558
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The call goes throughout the Principalities of Glantri and its neighbours: Crisis! The word on the street is, that there's a diplomatic crisis with the barbarians in the Broken Lands. And Glantri is offering major awards to "the greatest adventurers of the land" if they accomplish an urgent mission.

    Since you're among the greatest adventurers in the land - or at least you think so - at least you hope you are - you've all journeyed to Glantri city, the capital, to hear the offer.

    ---

    Glantri! Where the miraculous is customary and magic is everywhere. You've travelled to this place, some from afar, all with the intent of taking on an urgent mission officially offered by the House of Ministers in the capital of Glantri City.

    Glantri City is located where the two rivers Loir and Vesubien meet. Its spires soar above a tangle of streets, bridges and canals. Travel by gondola is the most common mode of transportation here. The weird and wonderful signs and implements of the arcane is everywhere, from strange magical symbols on signs and buildings to merchants selling magical items and exotic ritual components. Conversely, the symbols and indications of worship of the Immortals that some of you find so natural, is conspiciously absent, as it has indeed been almost everywhere in Glantri.

    In the time you've been here, you've noticed a certain unease among the common folks of the city; appearantly there has been issued a declaration of war against Glantri by the barbarous goblins of the Broken Lands to the southeast.

    You've also noticed the occasional stranger armed with the traditional trappings of professional adventures; appearantly you are not the only ones interested in the mission. The wizards here tend to pay well. This pleasant, early afternoon, anyone interested in the mission is supposed to show up at the House of Ministers. You find yourself by one of the major canals, trying to catch a gondola that may take you there. There seems to be some competition to get one, as there is currently a mixed crowd of a human, a dragonborn, an eladrin, a dwarf and some odd looking mechanical humanoid, all trying to catch a ride.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the game! Feel free to introduce your characters. Also, if you want to, you may make rolls in Streetwise, History or whatever seems appropriate to you, in order to see if you've picked up more information than has been offered above.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-08-26 at 12:19 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    (Going to roll my knowledge history and my knowledge arcana--to learn about the wizards of this land-- before posting anything.)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+14)[18]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+14)[16]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    boxboy582's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Failyn Sunswift

    A short, bald headed boy tapped his foot impatiently at the waters edge. A loose tan robe hung off his strong body. A metal clank tinkled from some unknown location about the boy's waist, hinting at the weapons hidden within. Failyn was noticeably short for a man of his build. Quite sturdy but he stood just under 5'5" tall. The boy's muscular forearms indicated that he was in incredible shape and exceedingly strong. Many assumed it was from rowing around the crowded canals of Glantri City, but the true source was a rigorous physical training regime that Failyn had adhered to since his youth.

    Failyn glanced up and down the canal looking annoyed that a gondola wasn't in sight. Lazy. Wish I had my boat here. I could get this over and done with. Failyn heaved a sigh, cursing how lady luck had abandoned him. First a recurring bad string of nights at the gambling halls, then a botched 'collection attempt' landed him in jail, and now he was forced to wait for a ride to his forced community servitude.How could this day get any worse?

    Failyn glanced at the others waiting with him. He wondered if they'd all be able to fit in one boat. The last thing he wanted was to wait, and hoped that there wouldn't be a tussle over who went first. He eyed the dragonborn suspiciously. He knew firsthand how heavy they could be to ferry around the city.

    Chewing on his bottom lip, Failyn fished his hand into a hidden pocket of his robes and pulled out his platinum piece. He flipped it into the air, caught it in his hand and continued rolling it around his hand. He had managed to stow away his entire life savings in this hidden pocket. An uneasy feeling spread in his stomach at the thought that if he lost his robes, he'd lose his entire life's 'fortune'.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I figure Failyn might have heard some stuff ferrying people around the city, so I'll roll a streetwise to see what he might have picked up.

    [roll0]

    Edit: Rerolled my streetwise in the OOC thread and got a 20.
    Last edited by boxboy582; 2010-08-24 at 12:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

    Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Supercracker:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: You know, that Great School of Magic located in this very city, is heralded as the finest wizard college on the continent. Some other schools may disagree, but it's certainly far from hyperbole.

    History: Glantri's history is ripe with political intrigue and occasional war - your knowledge of this complex subject is scarce at best. The current state of hereditary magocracy (with the associated title of Prince/Princess) has been unchanged for about one and a half century. The recent declaration of war from the goblins of the Broken Lands is almost certainly tied with the deals their Queen Yazar has struck with Glantri: it is an official state secret, that she is regularly bribed to keep the peace and not unleash her hordes on Glantri. It seems this deal has not been honoured this year.


    boxboy582:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise: The goblins' declaration of war is almost certainly related to the deal the leader of High Gobliny, Queen Yazar, has struck with the Glantrians: Each spring Glantri bribes Yazar’s goblins with an annual canvan of treasure, food, and manufactured goods. In return, Queen Yazar sends a hostage, typically one of her sons, to live well for one year in the House of Ministers in Glantri City. Each new spring, the hostage prince returns home at the head of a new caravan of Glantrian supplies - the ransom Glantri pays the goblins for another year of peace. Queen Yazar then sends a new prince in his place. Appearantly, this deal has somehow failed to be fulfilled, as Queen Yazar has declared war.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-08-24 at 01:11 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sovjohn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Khilven Runeforge

    Khilven strode towards the "dock" of the street slowly but steadily. The dwarf was not accustomed to seeing THIS kind of mayhem around - This city was vast, and the people roaming the streets were at least three times as many as he had seen in the Summer Solstice Festival, back in Rockhome. Khilven was impressed with the scale of things, clearly built to comfortably accommodate taller races such as humans or elves.

    He also noticed that from the gates of the city until now, there was nothing referring to religion to be seen. He found this strange, and decided to find out what's going on.

    Straightening his warhammer below his travelling cloak, and stroking his hazel beard absent-mindedly, he carried on walking until he reached the "dock". It appeared that there were many people around trying to embark on the state mission. Among them, he saw that Auron eladrin fellow that he had met in the temple grounds some moons ago.

    With a smile, he stood behind the eladrin and poked him with the warhammer gently in the back.

    "Hey blondie! You're here too, eh? Interested in the mission? I see many people queueing up for a boat, though, we'd best hurry and get some spots secured."

    With these words, he stood at the very edge of the dock while he saw the first boat approaching. He took Auron by the hand and said to the gathering crowd:

    "Sorry lads - On urgent business from the temple of Thor in Rockhome"

    He jumped into the boat and put Auron to sit behind him, although the boat seemed to hold at least 3 or 4 more passengers. He motioned to the people closest to the edge of the dock, a human, a dragonborn, and a mech of some kind to jump in, while he gave a mean look to a halfling beggar who tried to get on the boat and hijack a place. The halfling reconsidered and decided he would wait for the next boat. With the boat departing, Khilven started whistling a dwarven victory tune.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls in the OOC thread
    Last edited by Sovjohn; 2010-08-24 at 04:35 AM.

    Runepriest avatar by Derjuin
    Currently Playing: Khilven Runeforge (Blood Brethren - 4e)
    Currently DMing: The Monastery of White Dawn

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Aramond stood at the docks, patiently waiting for the gondola. He moves so little that in his current guise, you might easily mistake him for an extravagantly decorated mannequin. Preferring the shield of anonymity over a bulwark of steel, his armor was currently no more than cloth, flowing robes of blue with purple trim that seemed to sparkle on its own though it contained no jewels or sequins. The hood was drawn tightly around his face and a porcelain mask ringed with feathers completed the ensemble.

    Overall the disguise was lavish, but Aramond had tried to do his best to fit in and he kept it as faithful as possible to the current styles, hoping he cold pass himself off as nothing more than an eccentric arcanist, albeit a large, imposing one. The longsword at his hip was unusual, but there was nothing he could do about it. It was his weapon and it didn't come with any power to disguise itself.

    Addressing none of his companions in particular he opines, "a coming storm gathers more people than a sunny day." After a moment to allow his words to sink in, he continues dismissively, "but I have had enough of omens and prophecy to last one lifetime. The name is Aramond." He doesn't extend a hand as he is not sure what a proper gesture of greeting would be. Though he tried to learn as much about Gilantri before and after his arrival, he was still being cautious.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aramond is currently at AC 14/Reflex 14 as his Imposter's Armor is in cloth form and he is not wearing his shield, but his speed is 6 and he has no armor check penalty to his skills.
    Bluff (Disguise): (1d20+11)[26]
    History: (1d20+4)[18]
    Streetwise: (1d20+7)[10]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Sovjohn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: Even though divine magic in Glantri is punishable by death here, religion in general is not illegal in Glantri. It is not supported by the nation - by law, no dominion ruler can pay a regular tithe to any religious movement - but that has not stopped various organisations from establishing themselves in Glantri. The Immortal Rad is the patron deity of Glantri, but he has no clerical followers (or other divine classes serving him). Instead a group known as the Shepherds of Rad - all wizards - serve him. They maintain "temples" to him throughout Glantri, but these are not traditional, religious shrines.

    Perception: It seems like you spotted the first available gondola


    Son_of_Meepo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    History: Glantri's history is ripe with political intrigue and occasional war - your knowledge of this complex subject is scarce at best. The current state of hereditary magocracy (with the associated title of Prince/Princess) has been unchanged for about one and a half century. The recent declaration of war from the goblins of the Broken Lands is almost certainly tied with the deals their Queen Yazar has struck with Glantri: it is an official state secret, that she is regularly bribed to keep the peace and not unleash her hordes on Glantri. It seems this deal has not been honoured this year.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-08-24 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Addition info for Sovjohn added

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    With a smile, he stood behind the eladrin and poked him with the warhammer gently in the back.

    "Hey blondie! You're here too, eh? Interested in the mission? I see many people queueing up for a boat, though, we'd best hurry and get some spots secured."
    The Eladrin, a man dressed in leather armor, with but one longsword at his back, was unmistakably an adventurer! Unlike his other brethren, he did not have a long, flowing mane of hair. Instead, he had short cut blonde hair, and showed little care for the fineries of Eladrin life. The Eladrin, Auron Silvermoon, turned as he heard the familiar voice. He grinned a wide grin. "Ah! My Stoutly Dwarven friend! It's good to see you! I knew one day I'd get you out of the temple someday, to join me on a thrilling adventure!"

    Oh yes. He's very excited about these things.

    With these words, he stood at the very edge of the dock while he saw the first boat approaching. He took Auron by the hand and said to the gathering crowd:

    "Sorry lads - On urgent business from the temple of Thor in Rockhome"

    He jumped into the boat and put Auron to sit behind him, although the boat seemed to hold at least 3 or 4 more passengers. He motioned to the people closest to the edge of the dock, a human, a dragonborn, and a mech of some kind to jump in, while he gave a mean look to a halfling beggar who tried to get on the boat and hijack a place. The halfling reconsidered and decided he would wait for the next boat. With the boat departing, Khilven started whistling a dwarven victory tune.
    Auron grinned and boarded the ship with the strut of authority! It was urgent (read: serious) business!

    He watched to see who would board the gondola with them. The very large man boarded.. with a longsword!

    Addressing none of his companions in particular he opines, "a coming storm gathers more people than a sunny day." After a moment to allow his words to sink in, he continues dismissively, "but I have had enough of omens and prophecy to last one lifetime. The name is Aramond." He doesn't extend a hand as he is not sure what a proper gesture of greeting would be. Though he tried to learn as much about Gilantri before and after his arrival, he was still being cautious.
    "Sir, it appears we have something in common. Nice to meet you, Aramond. I am Auron, and my bearded friend here is Khilven."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Doc opens his eyes and looks around while thinking "attempt 29357395 success but by the looks of things I think I may have "slept" to long... Apparently I'm in a lake.. or river of some sort, I wonder when this got here?"

    Hefting himself up he walked slowly to the shore while thinking about the last time he walked around he was up in the mountains trying to get some peace and quiet so that he may figure out his next move. Doc starts to swim for the side of the river so he can pull himself up onto the dry dock and have a look around....

    Swim: (1d20+10)[13]
    Climb: (1d20+10)[13]
    Intimidate (the water for slowing him down and being there when it wasn't before his experiment):(1d20+11)[21]
    Last edited by Evard; 2010-08-24 at 09:04 PM.
    I have to give Paizo credit...

    They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

    How can you beat that?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    It's hardly graceful, but since the water is calm, the warforged manages to swim up and climb out of the water. The expression in his wet metal face looks like it could scare a small animal to death without too much trouble.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-08-24 at 10:08 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    "Uh... does anyone else see this?" Auron said in regards to the large metal man that just washed up on shore.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Aramond carefully steps onto the gondola, unsure if his weight will upset the vessel.

    "I do see it, but in a city as full as magic, I can't help but think that such occurrences may not be so rare. As long as it doesn't try to hurt anyone..."

    Aramond wasn't at all sure how he would actually finish that sentence, as open violence on the streets of Gilantri was not going to help him discourage notice. Still he felt it was best to try to dissuade any fighting, not that he was at all sure that such a creature was even capable of thought. Keeping his hand off his blade, he stood on the gondola looking as imposing as possible, but it was apparently hard to pull off with such a ridiculous looking mask covering his face.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+14)[15]
    Last edited by Son_of_Meepo; 2010-08-25 at 05:56 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    boxboy582's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Failyn Sunswift

    Failyn cocked an eyebrow at all the posturing caused by the arrival of a large metal man. It was certainly one of the stranger things he had seen in his life, but he had come to be able to take strange things in stride.

    Catching the coin one last time, Failyn returned it to it's hidden pouch and walked to the heavily laden boat. He lightly stepped from the water's edge to the boat with barely a sound. He hoped his added weight wouldn't cause the already low sitting boat to take on water.

    Glancing back at the metal man, Failyn mutters a familiar phrase All aboard. I'd rather not wait around here all day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

    Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sovjohn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Khilven Runeforge

    Seeing all the commotion caused, but still waiting for the boat to depart, Khilven eyes the other passengers with a smile, then turns to the mechanical contraption he saw on the dock and motions to it gently to come:

    "Whatever you are, this boat can fit you in no problem. I see it's reinforced with Dwarven steel, so it won't go down so easily. Jump in, lad, so we can get out of this dock!"

    For good measure, figuring his armor will add to the weight of the passengers, Khilven makes a minor gesture, and the armor appears to disappear and re-appear for a second there. However, the real armor is in Thor's plane right now, with an illusion in its place.

    "This should do the trick - several lbs. went away swiftly", he thinks.

    Runepriest avatar by Derjuin
    Currently Playing: Khilven Runeforge (Blood Brethren - 4e)
    Currently DMing: The Monastery of White Dawn

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The gondolier looks over the motley crew that currently resides in his waterborne vehicle. Seeing your adventuring gear and the decidedly magical nature of Khilven's armor he nods knowingly. I suppose you are going to the House of Ministers, gentlemen? Assuming you have your written passes required to enter the Citadel Quarter, I can take you all there for the bargain price of two gold pieces. Luckily, you've all taken the time to acquire such passes from the city gate constables. The gondolier looks over them with a satisfied look on his face and then turns to look at Doc. Is he with you or are we ready to go?

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    boxboy582's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Failyn Sunswift

    Failyn immediately begins fishing in his pockets for the written passes that the ferryman spoke of. He nearly swallowed his own tongue when the ferryman mentions the price.

    Two gold?! For the love off... I hope we're taking a guided tour of the entire city for that price. Very well-- He glances over at the Eladrin standing next to him pay the man. Failyn turns his attention to the crumpled piece of paper he pulled from his pocket. The important document that was his written pass had been crumpled, wadded, and stuffed so that it now looked like used tissue. Using his chest, Failyn attempted to smooth out the paper before holding it before the ferryman's eyes.

    As for our over sized paperweight friend here, He said with a nod to the dripping warforged. I've never seen the likes of him before...so he's welcome to come.
    Last edited by boxboy582; 2010-08-25 at 03:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

    Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The gondolier ignores Failyn's comments and instead examines the remains of his pass. He squints trying to make out the writing and frowns. After a few seconds he hands it back. Ok, I'll let that suffice this time, he says. But don't blame me if you end up in the Tower of Sighs! The name of the infamous black prison tower sends a shiver down your spines - according to what you've heard, few who get incarcerated there ever leave the depths of its dungeons again.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    When he's told to pay the man, first, he felt slightly indignant... imagine the gall of that freeloader-- but then, Auron remembered that he'd spent all of his money on living it up (read: ale and women). He coughed once. "Uh... right. Khilven?"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    boxboy582's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Failyn Sunswift

    Failyn snatches his papers back from the ferryman, mouthing his last words in silent mockery. Satisfied that he has, indeed, gotten his papers back in roughly the same condition, Failyn crumples the important document back up and returns it to it's pocket.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

    Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Magical energies surge through this city like the water that fills its canals, sometimes literally: As you ride the gondola to the House of Ministers, you feel a sudden wind, unusually fresh and laced with the odors of cinnamon and freshly cut grass. After the wind passes, an elderly woman leans out of an upper-story window alongside the canal. “Sorry!” she cries for everyone to hear. “Missed a bit on my perfumery cantrip. Won‘t happen again!”

    Soon your gondola enters the Citadel Quarter.

    Map:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Apart from the large pentagon-shaped structure the gives this place its name, you see the white marble parliament with its numerous turrets and gargoyle statues, and the sinister Tower of Sighs before you dock at the House of Ministers, a huge, solid building. Nothing short of an earthquake could move it, and in that way it resembles the bureaucrats who work inside. The walls are stone slabs, as blue as the ink on a duplicate purchase voucher.

    You don’t see any doors. Instead, a man in a plain blue military outfit stands next to a gold rectangle painted on the wall at ground level.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The Eladrin gingerly hops off of the gondola and proceeds directly to the House of Ministers. Inquisitive eyes scanned his surroundings. This part of the city seemed most dire. As he approached the gold rectangle, he paused and presented his papers to the guard. "Good man, we are accomplished adventurers, here for the mission. May we enter?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The soldier takes his time to arrogantly measure first Auron, and then the rest of you with his eyes, as if he is gauging your physical strengths and weaknesses. What is your errant?, he finally asks you with open suspicion.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Showing confidence in the face of arrogance (after all, Auron is smarter than most people, and definitely this guy), he said, "As you should know, a call has been made for adventurers to undertake a mission of no small urgency. I assume it has to do with the impending flood of goblins attacking from the Broken Lands. So, if you would kindly stop wasting our time, we will speak to your superiors and be about our business of fixing this problem. Now, good sir, if you'd please let us in."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The guard is dazed for a moment by your unpleasant truth. He shuts his mouth in a frown and breathes in audibly through his nose. Very well, he says and then utters a single word as if giving an order to the golden rectangle: Intraparietes!

    SuperCracker, Son_of_Meepo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With your training in the arcane arts, you feel a "magic hum" from the rectangle - the guard has clearly spoken a command word.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Auron was sure to remember that command word. Who knows if he'd ever need to get in (or out of) this place in a hurry at some point. He gave a sly grin back at the rest of the party, then strolled right in through the now-open "door."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    boxboy582's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Failyn Sunswift

    Failyn quickly scuttles up after Auron. Pointing after him he mutters I'm with him... You don't want to make him mad or we'll talk to your superiors. Using Auron's conversation with the guard to his advantage, Failyn walks past the guard and through the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

    Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sovjohn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Khilven Runeforge

    The dwarf witnessed this exchange of words stoically, but did not intervene since he did not deem it necessary.

    Then he saw the guard open up the door magically and frowned a bit (although admittedly it would be hard to notice a dwarf frowning, through the beard and all).

    He muttered "Bah! Human show-offs! Like they couldn't have secured this door with a good weavesteel lock, but no, they had to use magic! Waste of resources, if you ask me, a sturdy lock made of quality iron or steel and warded with some runes is always superior to this!

    He noticed the guard trying to decipher what he was muttering about, but would not enter a conversation with him, noticing his bad temper and all.

    Smiling condescendingly, he said, in a higher volume: "Marvellous establishment you've got here. Nice door, too! I will go inside now with my companions, good man. May Thor and, eh, the Immortal Rad be with ye!"

    Leaving the guard rather speechless, he carried on through the magic door inside the building with a decisive pace.
    Last edited by Sovjohn; 2010-08-26 at 04:57 PM.

    Runepriest avatar by Derjuin
    Currently Playing: Khilven Runeforge (Blood Brethren - 4e)
    Currently DMing: The Monastery of White Dawn

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    The stone behind the rectangle has become insubstantial, so as you touch it, you find that you can enter it like a doorway, even though it still looks perfectly solid. After moving carefully through a short corridor in which you cannot see anything but the inside of the stone wall, you exit the area of the magical effect. Instead, you now find yourselves in a great hall. From the outside, you hear the guard speaking the word nonpariete, which makes the magical effect end: the wall is once again rock solid.

    The hall you've entered is the central auditorium of the House of Ministers. It is crowded with adventurers and would-be adventurers - wrinkled veterans, mercenaries with tasteless tattoos, strapping rogues and roguish striplings. As you try to find a suitable place to stand, a prematurely elderly man with thinning gray hair, a long, thickening waist, and a withered, diseased left arm mounts the rostrum to the north in the auditorium.

    He clears his throat and presents himself. I am Lord Harald of Haaskinz, and I've been appointed to brief you on the nature of this mission, he says in a high voice with the barest hint of a lisp. As you may know, Queen Yazar of High Gobliny in The Broken Lands has practically declared war upon the Principalities of Glantri. Normally, to keep the diplomatic relations between the two nations healthy, we send the queen a caravan carrying various goods each spring. In return, she sends a prince of High Gobliny who gets to study and live here, at the House of Ministers for the year. When spring comes, he is returned to High Gobliny with the caravan, as a new prince is sent. This practice has secured the peace for more than sixty years now. He pauses briefly, before he continues. The last year, Prince Kano Arrow's-Whisper was the one sent from Queen Yazar. Of course we were honored to host His, uh, Highness. - he says the last sentence in a dry and unpleasant tone - So eleven days ago, Kano set out with a caravan of ten wagonloads of goods, twenty horses, fifteen drivers and staff, and one single passenger, headed towards The Broken Lands. More specifically, the goods this year consisted of silk, glass, ceramics, some precious metal, spices, perfumes, ivory, tortoise shell, aromatic sandalwood, resins, honey, salt, dried fruit, furs and leathers, and a flock of six fine hunting falcons. Fifteen of the horses were also meant as cargo; the five senior caravan staffers were to ride the other five back to Glantri City. The fifteen drivers would walk back under the staffers’ protection. The passenger was Deputy Treasurer Minister Irila Kaze, who accompanied it... - Sir Harald tarries for a bit to choose the right words - ...to aid the Prince in the important work of guiding the caravan. After this long list of facts, he takes time to sip from a glass of water.

    At the same time, Prince Udan Axe-Thrower, second son of Queen Yazar, left High Gobliny in order to go to the House of Ministers for the new year. However, as you've probably guessed by now, the caravan never arrived. Queen Yazar was not pleased: two days ago a war messenger arrived at Glantri City - diplomatic relations were strained, and in the end, they threatened to invade unless the caravan would arrive in High Gobliny very, very soon. By then we had already sent out cavalry parties to search for the new prince as he never arrived either. We doubled the search effort. The army and militia are searching even now - without success. Therefore, we have sent for you, brave adventurers, to take on the mission of finding the lost caravan. Looking around, 'brave adventurers' seems like a bad joke - you are clearly the most capable warriors in the crowd. Should any party here locate the princes and the caravan, we are prepared to pay an honorarium of one tenth of the caravan’s value to that party. This equals the approximate sum of 5,000 gold coins. If you find them within five days, we offer an additional 2,000 gold coins. At the mention of such large rewards, the younger adventurers whistle, screech or even faint. More seasoned ones rub their chins in thought. These are generous amounts, indeed!

    As the noise dies down, Harald once again adresses the crowd. We have plotted the expected route of the caravan on a map as a starting point for your investigation. He points to a stack of parchments free for all to take. Any questions?

    The map:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Everybody:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to make appropriate skill rolls about anyone or anything menationed.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-08-26 at 04:21 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sovjohn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Khilven Runeforge

    Khilven looked around carefully, to notice any party that might look sturdy or well-built enough to worry him about beating him to the mission.

    Then he realized that he did not have a "party" per se - He knew Auron, from the temple grounds some time ago, but the rest he did not know by name or reputation.

    Thinking that, by some twist of luck perhaps? Or by Thor's kind intervention? ...Somehow, the best equipped and hardy people to accompany him and Auron to the search were the ones he shared a boat with, he thought to let them know about his idea of cooperation.

    Whispering quietly, he said "Lads - Judging from what I see and the miserable crowd in here, we can win this. It's good money, too, and Thor never forced the honorable to live in poverty... I think we should team up on this, to maximize our chances. Ask your questions and we can make this happen!"

    To further illustrate his point, he waved his right hand a little, and 5 of his blue Protection runes appeared on the lower chest of him, Auron, and the three others he shared the boat with - They were not runes for any particular purpose, but his mentor and uncle had taught him about this particular one - It was a Rune of Courage, and it tended to be used to boost up the spirits of anyone receiving it, making them realize their potential in a clear and concise manner. He felt himself psyched up about their chances in this, and believed the others would feel this as well.

    Seeing the Lord Harald still waiting for questions, he raised his armor-bearing hand and asked:

    "Me lord - First of all, well met! I would like to ask you whether you suspect any particular monster or enemy of the nation that might have played a part in this. If this search is actually a "competition" of sorts, then we might as well hear the full story of it. For example, might High Gobliny be playing a part in this situation somehow?"

    Waiting for the answers, he fixed his gaze on the Lord Herald to observe his mannerisms and attitude.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - To notice anything of interest around - (1d20+9)[20]

    Insight - To see what may lie behind the Lord Herald's words -(1d20+9)[27]

    Streetwise - To notice any particular whispers or chatter going around in the room, and the crowd speaking them - (1d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by Sovjohn; 2010-08-26 at 04:49 PM.

    Runepriest avatar by Derjuin
    Currently Playing: Khilven Runeforge (Blood Brethren - 4e)
    Currently DMing: The Monastery of White Dawn

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Blood Brethren 4e - IC

    Before Khilven gets to ask his question, a young lad shouts Are the goblin women good looking? with a lustful grin. Sir Harald simply shakes his head, looking like he's just gotten a bad migraine. He then answers the runepriest: I know of no faction in Glantri that would benefit from the capital being overrun by goblins. As for foreign powers, I don't know, but I doubt it, the obvious exception being The Broken Lands. This is a land dominated by tribes of humanoids: kobolds, goblins, orcs, ogres, gnolls, trolls etcetera. So those are the monsters I expect to be involved - but it's a savage place. Those who would risk the wrath of Queen Yazar are either very strong or very stupid - the latter seems most probable, but you never know. As for Yazar doing all of this as part of a complex, overarcing plan, I seriously doubt it. The queen is not known for her... let's call it subtlety.

    Sovjohn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight: Harald appears to be a sincere and honest, gentle and kind man, if somewhat confused. He seems slightly uncomfortable.

    Perception: You are pretty sure, the reason for his discomfort is his withered arm. It looks painful.

    Streetwise: Wow, these other so-called adventurers are pathetic!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •