Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Alternate Familiars/Lesser Creatures

I just translated a normally-swarming creature into an individual critter for the purpose of giving it to a PC as a familiar. Thought I'd throw it up here, and throw the thread open for anyone with similar homebrews and houserules.

Shimmerling
    Size/Type: Fine Fey
    Hit Dice: ¼d8 (1 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 5 ft (1 square), fly 50 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 24 (+8 size, +6 Dex), touch 24, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-21
    Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-5)
    Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-5)
    Space/Reach: 1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: —
    Special Qualities: Hive mind, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 22, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 15, Cha 18
    Skills: Hide +36, Listen +2, Move Silently +6, Spot +2
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Temperate forests
    Organization: Solitary, glimmer (5-20) or dazzle (20-200)
    Challenge Rating: 1/10
    Advancement: —
    Level Adjustment: —

A naked and glowing elfin creature only 4 inches tall balances on the leaf before you, and as you watch, it spreads dragonfly wings.

Individual shimmerlings are miniscule and nearly mindless fey that feed on pollen. It looks like a 4-inch tall elf with dragonfly wings. Its skin and hair are the same colour as the glow it gives off, which can be any colour of the rainbow.
    A shimmerling weighs 1 ounce.
    Shimmerlings speak Sylvan.

Combat
    An individual shimmerling is practically harmless. It is more likely to hide than to attack.
    Hive Mind (Ex): Individual shimmerlings can sometimes mass together into a swarm. When they do so, they form a hive mind, giving them an intelligence score of 7, as well as various other abilities. A group of shimmerlings large enough to obtain this hive mind becomes a shimmerling swarm (MMIII p. 152).

As a familiar
    Grants its master a +1 bonus to the DC of any "prismatic" spells and those with the [light] descriptor he casts.

By the way, this incidentally works quite well as a Labyrinth fairy.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-08-25 at 01:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Alternate Familiars/Lesser Creatures

As in Jim Henson's Labyrinth?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    As a familiar
    I'm not sure. I was considering +1 to the DC of prismatic, light and chaos spells. Would that be too much?
    It shouldn't be too much, unless your players are willing to squeeze the juice out of any resource they have to get overpowered spells...

Or as Link's eternally annoying companion.

EDIT: Also, given that you are opening this thread to similar homebrews, is it okay for me to homebrew a firefly familiar? Only that Owl City song is still stuck in my head and I have the urge to play a Bard with a single firefly in a jar as his companion...
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2010-08-24 at 06:21 AM.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #4

Latrinous: Yep.

Roc: Of course. That was kinda the point.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray! I'll do it tommorrow, though. Feeling really tired...

Avvie by Serpentine.

6. - Top - End - #6

Tomorrow i'll see if i can find my notes for my widdle-dwagon-wike advanced familiars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Watch out, they BITE!

EDIT: Excellent work, by the way. SCIENCE!
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-08-24 at 07:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm tempted to stat out a lone Hellwasp, once I've got the books to hand and can figure out the necessary modifications.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #9

Do you think a lone hellwasp would be capable of inhabiting a body to the same degree as a swarm?

If so that's a pretty potent ability for well anything at that level

10. - Top - End - #10

Probably not- like the shimmerling's dazzle effects, it would be lost for a lone creature.

Still pretty tough though. Powerful poison, DR 10/magic, fire resistance.

Buzzzzzz!
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-24 at 07:56 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe a Cranial Encyster (pg 24/25 of .pdf)?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Baby Balor
    Tiny Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
    HD 1/2 d8+1 (3hp)
    Speed 15ft. (3 squares); 30ft Fly (Good Maneuverability)
    Init: +6
    AC 15; touch 14; flat-footed 13
    (+2 Size, +1 Natural Armor, +2 Dex)
    BAB +1; Grp -7
    Attack Longsword +3 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Full-Attack Longsword +3 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Vorpal Sword
    Special Qualities Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron and Good, Telepathy 100ft
    Saves Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +0
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 12
    Skills Hide +4, Intimidate +5, Listen +6, Spot +6, Knowledge (The Planes) +2, Move Silently +4
    Feats Improved Initiative
    Environment The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
    Organization Solitary or Nuclear Family (1 Balor, 1 Marilith, 2.5 Baby Balors)
    Challenge Rating 1/2
    Alignment Chaotic Evil
    Level Adjustment -

Vorpal Sword (Su): Balors have the ability to summon forth a demonic artifact from the heart of the Abyss; a sword, shaped as a flame or bolt of lightning. Fully grown Balors are imbued with the power of a +1 Vorpal Longsword sized for a large creature. Baby Balors are only capable of summoning Tiny non-magical non-masterwork Longswords. No more than a dagger to a human-sized creature, Baby Balors use these more for grooming than actual fighting.

-As a Familiar-

Summoned by particularly ambitious magi adept in the conjuring arts, the infantile versions of the most feared of Demonkind may be bonded to as a (admittedly unorthodox) familiar. One would assume that such violent cretins would begrudge servitude, but in truth they often find such opportunity to sow havoc in the mortal realm rather rewarding. In addition, they no longer must suffer under the shadow of their formidable fathers and mothers, or constantly worry about assassination attempts on their life. Indeed, if the foolhardy wizard or sorcerer treats them kindly, the Balor-to-be may not even drag them screaming into the howling darkness until they reach Adolescence.

To have a Baby Balor as a Familiar, the caster must be Chaotic Evil and have access to at least 1 Conjuration (Summoning) spell. Having one as a familiar adds 2 rounds to the duration of any Conjuration (Summoning) spell used to summon a Chaotic Evil creature. The special bond between Familiar and Master allows the Baby Balor to be treated as if they did not have the Extraplanar subtype when they come under an effect where having such a subtype would matter if the Baby Balor chooses.

The existence of this creature is both tongue-in-cheek and assumes that certain Outsiders can find a way to naturally procreate with one another, even if that means is uncommon.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Somehow I think something more like 'grants a +1 to all knowledge checks', or the like would be appropriate for the Shimmerlings familiar abilities. That and Shimmerling familiars can learn to speak two or three words of any language their Master's choosing, and tend towards simple words like 'Look!' 'Hey!' or 'Listen!'
    Come with me, time out of mind...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Somehow I think something more like 'grants a +1 to all knowledge checks', or the like would be appropriate for the Shimmerlings familiar abilities. That and Shimmerling familiars can learn to speak two or three words of any language their Master's choosing, and tend towards simple words like 'Look!' 'Hey!' or 'Listen!'
    My brain... oww... the nightmares are back.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Cuttlefish
    Size/Type: Tiny Animal (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: Swim 30ft
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
    Attack: Tentacle +4 melee (1d2-4)
    Full Attack: Tentacle +4 melee (1d2-4)
    Space/Reach: 1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Hypnotic Skin, Ink,
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Camouflage,
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 2, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 15
    Skills: Hide +20, Spot +5, Swim +12
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any Aquatic
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Advancement: —
    Level Adjustment: —

Hypnotic Skin (Ex) A cuttlefish may lose it racial bonus to hide checks and it's camouflage ability to produce a hypnotic pattern on it's skin. Creatures within 20ft must succeed at a DC 14 will save or be fascinated until attacked or the display ends. Hypnotic Skin is not mind-effecting but only works on creatures of the Animal, Vermin or Magical Beast types. The DC is Charisma-Based.

Ink (Ex) A cuttlefish may emit a cloud of ink 5ft high by 5ft wide by 5ft long once every minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment. All vision is obscured in the cloud.

Camouflage (Ex) A cuttlefish may hide in any aquatic terrain, even if the terrain does not proved cover or concealment. A cuttlefish gains a +10 competence bonus on hide checks in natural aquatic terrain.

Skills A cuttlefish can change colors giving it a +6 bonus on hide checks. A cuttlefish has a +8 racial bonus to preform swim checks to take some special action or to avoid a hazard. It can always take 10 on swim checks even if endangered or distracted. It can run while swimming provided it swims in a straight line. A cuttlefish uses dexterity for swim checks instead of strength.

As a familiar

+3 to Hide checks

CR may be off.
    Last edited by StormRaven; 2010-08-24 at 04:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Love the Baby Balor. It's just awesome. It might even be funny to give it the power to summon an actual Vorpal sword, that only affects creatures one size class smaller than itself... (although I could see someone trying to use enlarge person to make that a tiny bit more useful)

Some alternate familiars from my own home-brew including small / tiny familiar-sized versions of the yugoloth, formian, archon, deva, gargoyle, hell hound, etc. (Ideally, I wanted one for each alignment, since imps and quasits needed some counterparts, IMO!)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    Love the Baby Balor. It's just awesome. It might even be funny to give it the power to summon an actual Vorpal sword, that only affects creatures one size class smaller than itself... (although I could see someone trying to use enlarge person to make that a tiny bit more useful)
    Or maybe it summons a full-sized balor sword?

18. - Top - End - #18

Which then crushes it beneath its weight...
    Heeee, baby balor!

I added a touch to the Shimmerling. Also it was pointed out to me that it doesn't actually qualify for Weapon Finesse. Would it be terrible if I gave it a +1 BA, or are there any other possible replacement feats?

19. - Top - End - #19

Last edited by Latronis; 2010-08-25 at 02:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanted to post this after watching kitteh videos for a while.

D’AWWWWWW

Kitten
    Diminutive Animal
    HD 1/16 d8 (1 hp)
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Init: +3
    AC 19; touch 19; flat-footed 14 (10+2[Dex]+3[Cha]+4[Size])
    BAB +0; Grp +0
    Attack Bite +7 (0d4-4)
    Space 1 ft.; Reach 1 ft.
    Special Attacks Cuddle, OMNOMNOM, I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?
    Special Qualities D’AWW
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will -1
    Abilities Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Skills Diplomacy +7, Hide +16, Move Silently +4
    Feats Weapon Finesse
    Challenge Rating 1/16
    Treasure None
    Alignment Neutral
    Advancement --
    Favored Class --
    Level Adjustment –-

A kitten is the epitome of cuteness, the most adorable thing most anyone has ever seen. They can incapacitate a grown man with a glance of their cute little furry faces, and turn even the most horrid mindflayer into a bawling little girl.

Combat is usually short lived, and almost always ends up in a cuddle puddle with the kitten at the center.

Cuddle (Ex): The Kitten may attempt a grapple attempt upon others, in order to make them giggle and coo at the kitten for hours on end, as they grapple helplessly, and adorably. For this grapple effect, the Kitten may add any bonuses and modifiers that they would gain to Diplomacy from ability scores, racial bonuses and skill ranks to the grapple check. If they succeed, the target and all within 5 feet are fascinated by the kitten, unable to take their eyes away from its cuteness.

D’AWW (Ex): How could anyone hurt something so cute as a kitten? The kitten gains a bonus to its Armor Class equal to its charisma modifier. Any attack against the kitten made by a non-mindless foe takes a -2 penalty.

OMNOMNOM (Ex): As a standard action, the kitten may make a bite attack. If it is successful, the target is dazed for one round by the kitten's cuteness. The kitten must wait 2d4 rounds before using this ability again. This attack does 0 damage.

I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao? (Ex): Whenever an attack does not land against the kitten the kitten poses triumphantly and adorably, unaware of the attack that almost just hit them. Everyone who sees the adorable, triumphant pose must make a Will save (DC 13), or start rolling on the floor (cannot make any move or standard actions, takes a -2 penalty to Reflex saves, and cannot make any actions that involve a verbal component).

Skills: The kitten has a +1 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently, and +4 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.

As a Familiar
    Grants their master a +2 bonus to all Diplomacy checks.

Instead of gaining a bonus to intelligence, like most familiars, the kitten gains a bonus to Charisma.

Also, as towards the not getting Weapon Finesse, then how does the Cat get it, with +0 BAB? [Edit]: Swordsaged!
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-08-25 at 12:14 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Kitten
    Looks good, but your forgot the "Omnomnom (Ex)" and "I Can Haz Cheezburger Naow? (Ex)" abilities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Firefly Familiar! With a reason to take Improved Familiar!
    I don't actually know all that much about fireflies in general, so if somebody has a nitpic about it I'd be glad to edit the firefly. In particular, I'm wondering if the illumination radii are correct, and the size of swarms.

"Because my dreams are bursting at the seams..."

Firefly
    Fine Vermin
    HD 1/8 d8-2 (1 hp)
    Speed 5 ft. (1 squares); 40ft fly (Good Maneuverability)
    Init: +4
    AC 22 (+8 size, +4 Dex); touch 22; flat-footed 18
    BAB +0; Grp -21
    Attack None
    Full-Attack None
    Space 1/3 in.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks None
    Special Qualities Light, Horrible Taste, Vermin Traits
    Saves Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +1
    Abilities Str 1, Dex 19, Con 6, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 9
    Skills None
    Feats Dodge (Bonus)
    Environment Temperate and Tropical Plains, Forests and Marshland
    Organization Firefly Swarm (40-200)
    Challenge Rating 1/10
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always True Neutral
    Advancement -
    Level Adjustment -

Fireflies are an enigmatic species of beetle that uses bioluminescence instinctive alchemical abilities to produce natural, heatless light in its abdomen.

Light (Ex): A healthy firefly may glow for an extended period of time, producing enough light to produce bright illumination in a one inch radius, and shadowy illumination in a 5 foot radius.

Bad Taste (Ex): Any creature that successfully deals damage to a firefly with a bite attack, or eats it, must make a Fortitude Save (DC 8, Save is Constitution Based) or become sickened for one round.

As a Familiar:
    As a familiar the firefly grants their master Low-light vision. If its master already has low-light vision, the firefly grants its master a +5 bonus to spot checks in shadowy illumination.
    aaaaIn Addition!
    If the firefly's master has the Improved Familiar feat the firefly also grants its master a +1 to caster level and Spell Save DCs for all spells cast from the [Light] Descriptor.
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2010-08-25 at 04:29 AM.

Avvie by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Bad Taste (Ex): Any creature that successfully deals damage to a firefly with a bite attack, or eats it, must make a Fortitude Save (DC 8, Save is Constitution Based) or become sickened for one round.
    Personal experience?

Looks good, and bioluminescence is too SCIENCE-y a word for DnD so good call taking that out.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-08-25 at 05:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Looks good, but your forgot the "Omnomnom (Ex)" and "I Can Haz Cheezburger Naow? (Ex)" abilities.
    They will be added in!

[Edit]: Hm, unsure of how to implement I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-08-25 at 09:35 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Confused Level 1 Commoner
    Medium Humanoid (Human)
    HD 1d4 (2hp)
    Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
    Init: +0
    AC 11; touch 10; flat-footed 11
    (+1 Padded Armor)
    BAB +0; Grp +0
    Attack Dagger +0 (1d4)
    Full-Attack Dagger +0 (1d4)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks None
    Special Qualities None
    Saves Fort +0 Ref +0 Will +0
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Skills Climb +2, Hide +1, Listen +2, Profession (Familiar) +7, Spot +2
    Feats Skill Focus (Profession (Familiar)), Alertness
    Environment Any
    Organization Solitary
    Challenge Rating 1/2
    Alignment Any
    Level Adjustment -

This poor youth is disheveled and slightly mad-looking. He's wearing black padded armor with the word "Raven" scrawled across it in bright white paint, and you can see places where feathers of varying colors and sizes have been pasted to it.

He insists that he can speak any one language of your choice, but if you pick anything other than Common, he seems to just babble incoherently.

-As a Familiar-

Occasionally an especially unfortunate wizard or sorcerer will perform their Familiar-summoning ritual, choosing an animal they fancy having around, but instead, something else arrives; something...odd.

A grown man in an off-putting costume will arrive, claiming to be their new familiar. They insist on calling them 'Master' and continuously attempt to climb up and perch on the poor summoner's shoulders, or curl up inside their robes to sleep at night. Any attempt to convince them that they are not, in fact, a Raven, is met with staunch denial and some act of proof as to the otherwise.

The most saintly of Magi are too kind to dump the especially confused commoner in the woods and run, and everyone else is too worried that the Familiar Ritual actually worked, and they'll lose experience if the strange man comes to harm.

Confused Level 1 Commoners grant their masters a +8 bonus on all Profession checks.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-08-25 at 10:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Should have saved that one for April 1st. I don't think I'll be capable of producing anything more than a snicker anytime anyone mentions the words 'commoner' or 'raven' ever again.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    If he is level one, does that mean he could take class levels? I know that the LA is "-", but there is always the possibility.

Now I am imagining a Wizard with a Confused Level 1 Commoner, who has class levels in wizard, and whose familiar is, you guess it; another Confused Level 1 Commoner. Not that it is possible, but it is fun to dream. (Also, the sanity checks needed for everyone involved [the familiars both believing themselves to be familiars, but one is a familiar to the other, which is pretty mind-boggling, and then for the wizard, who has to deal with them both...] would be potentially hilarious).

[Edit]: Also, the Kitten would make a great familiar to a super villain:

Super Villain: You ask who I am?! I am Salithros, Culler of the Light, Killer of all that is pure and holy, Destroyer of lives and master of the -- Mister Tibbles, stop playing with that peice of string!

Mister Tibbles: Mew.

Random NPC: Ooo, is that a Kitten? *Goes over and pets*

Salithros: *Sighs* Mister Tibbles, stop playing with the nice man.

Mister Tibbles: Mew? *Walks over to Salithros, lays down on his feet and starts to purr*

Salithros: No! That is not what I meant! Bad kitten! Bad!

Random NPC: D'AAAWWWW...

Salithros: Shut up...
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-08-25 at 10:27 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    They will be added in!

[Edit]: Hm, unsure of how to implement I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?
    Excellent use of OMNOMNOM, though. As far as I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao goes, maybe it only affects creatures only already under the influence of D'AWW? The kitten does something (anthropomorphic, perhaps) and the affected creature (Will save's or) rofl's for a few rounds?

EDIT:
    @unosarta: Confused Level 1 Commoner spamming (as opposed to chain Gating Solars)?
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-08-25 at 10:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent use of OMNOMNOM, though. As far as I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao goes, maybe it only affects creatures only already under the influence of D'AWW? The kitten does something (anthropomorphic, perhaps) and the affected creature (Will save's or) rofl's for a few rounds?
    Hm, that could work. Something like, After the kitten does a successful D'AWW attempt, they make a cute little pose, and everyone has to make a will save or roll around on the floor for 2 rounds? Also, you need to see above for the best super villain ever.

EDIT:
    @unosarta: Confused Level 1 Commoner spamming (as opposed to chain Gating Solars)?
    It's even better since they all potentially have HD equal to their master's, so, infinite commoners?
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-08-25 at 10:32 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Best. Supervillain. EVAR.