New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Neogi character

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Neogi character

I am having a dumb moment...

If I want to create a Neogi character then its LA is +3. It also receives 5d8 HD for its aberration monstrous levels.

So does this mean that the ECL of a Neogi is actually 8, thus if I was to create a Neogi sorcerer at level 1 the ECL would be 9 or is it just Class Level + LA for a total of 4?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Neogi character

Quote Originally Posted by Paganboy28 View Post
    So does this mean that the ECL of a Neogi is actually 8, thus if I was to create a Neogi sorcerer at level 1 the ECL would be 9
    This is correct. The rules for monster-race characters are harsh.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    This is correct. The rules for monster-race characters are harsh.
    But how does that work then? In Lords of Madness there is a Neogi Sorcerer entry with 6 levels of Sorcerer yet it is only CR 8.

I know CR isn't necessarily the same as ECL but there seems to be a huge disparaty here.

A 6th level neogi sorcerer PC would have a ECL of 5+3+6 = 14.

ECL 14 = CR 8????

I am setting up a jungle adventure whereby a Neogi outpost has been set up in the ruins of an ancient civilisation (the Neogi invaded and ate/enslaved the inhabitants). I want Neogi NPC's so need to know how to create them. I am assuming you create them just like PC's.

For standard Neogi I can use the basic stats, but for special NPC's I want them to have class levels.
    Last edited by Paganboy28; 2010-08-24 at 05:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

ECL 14 = CR 8????
    Roughly. Note also that a 40-HD dragon is only CR 20-ish. It's not a 1-1 ratio.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know CR isn't necessarily the same as ECL but there seems to be a huge disparaty here.

ECL 14 = CR 8????
    In this case, yes. Thing is, there are monster abilities that aren't that powerful in combat, but that are super-powerful in terms of PC Utility. These types of abilities (like flight, teleportation, innate spellcasting ...) make ECL go up without making CR go up.

The game designers also go overboard and make ECLs too high to really be playable in many cases.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

look at a vampire cr +2 level adjustment +8. If their npc ignore level adjustment just worry about cr, actually crs pretty lousy to (from the perspective trying to determine the creatures actual power)

at will incoporality is good for a monster but insanely powerful for a pc particularly at low levels
    Last edited by awa; 2010-08-24 at 05:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

If you're playing a full caster, unless the monster type states it progresses spellcasting then the HD alone is enough of a penalty, spellcasters can pretty much replicate racial abilities as a matter of course anyway with spells, so talk to your DM about just having the HD as a penalty.

Personally I use that rule myself (if you're a full spellcaster, I discount LA and just have monster levels as a penalty) and then I let the player convert monstrous HD to class levels using LA buy-off rules at their leisure.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skaven View Post
    If you're playing a full caster, unless the monster type states it progresses spellcasting then the HD alone is enough of a penalty, spellcasters can pretty much replicate racial abilities as a matter of course anyway with spells, so talk to your DM about just having the HD as a penalty.

Personally I use that rule myself (if you're a full spellcaster, I discount LA and just have monster levels as a penalty) and then I let the player convert monstrous HD to class levels using LA buy-off rules at their leisure.
    I'm the DM and its to create an NPC not a PC.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm the DM and its to create an NPC not a PC.
    Then ignore LA altogether. It's a PC mechanic, not a DM one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed - as an NPC, you only need to care about CR, not ECL or LA. LA is inflated compared to CR because of, as mentioned, monsters tend to have abilities that aren't usually available to PCs. For the monsters, this isn't a big deal, because they'll usually be dead at the end of the fight, but the PCs get to use those special abilities repeatedly. That's in addition to stuff like flight adn teleportation, which are the same problem - a bit of extra mobility for the monsters in their designated encounter, a fundamental game alteration for the PCs.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Remember that a CR n monster is supposed to challenge four ECL n characters. CR and ECL are measuring totally different things, hence the disparity.

Edit: Oh, I was going to mention this too: Read this, especially the paragraphs about Associated and Nonassociated Class Levels. Note that Sorcerer is not an associated level for neogi.

You're welcome
    Last edited by Swooper; 2010-08-24 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Probably going to be ninja'd, but to find CR for NPCs add their monster CR to their class level or half their class level, depending on whether it's associated or nonassociated. There's a chart in the back of the MM, but basically a class is associated if it's a sneaky class for a sneaky monster, a combat class for a combat monster, or a casting class for a monster that already can cast spells. Classes also become associated when they reach some threshold (half the RHD or something).
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Probably going to be ninja'd
    Yup. By twelve minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

note any class is "associated" after it passes the monsters HD in class levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.