New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Stupid Question - Need answerz.

I havent never, ever, in my 8+ years of playing dungeons and dragons, now over -3- editions, -ever- have seen this scenario in any game I have been in. Someone has asked me about it, and... despite my experience, I have no idea how to reply. So I turn to you.

Does miss chance, concealment, etc, apply to non-touch based spells like fireball, magic missile, etc? I can understand it applying to like, scorching ray. But... would miss chance effect the area of effect of a spell, or a auto-homing spell?

Edit: Due to the wording of my first statement, id like to clarify, this question is for 3.5 and/or pathfinder rules, not ADND, 3.0, or 4.0.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2010-08-24 at 07:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Stupid Question - Need answerz.

Nah, miss chances from concealment don't count against those. I think the entry for Magic Missile in the 3.5e System Reference Document even states that it isn't affected by concealment. Concealment really only works against things that require attack rolls.
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Things like magic missile will always hit anyone targetted with less than total cover or total concealment.

concealment is irrelevant for things like Fireball they nuke an area even if you can't see them the fire does

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    I havent never, ever, in my 8+ years of playing dungeons and dragons, now over -3- editions, -ever- have seen this scenario in any game I have been in. Someone has asked me about it, and... despite my experience, I have no idea how to reply. So I turn to you.

Does miss chance, concealment, etc, apply to non-touch based spells like fireball, magic missile, etc? I can understand it applying to like, scorching ray. But... would miss chance effect the area of effect of a spell, or a auto-homing spell?

Edit: Due to the wording of my first statement, id like to clarify, this question is for 3.5 and/or pathfinder rules, not ADND, 3.0, or 4.0.
    Here is the relevant information.

Also, I think this should be in the "Roleplaying Games" section, rather than "Homebrew Design".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

it might depend on the source too. Blur probably wouldn't do a damn thing, blink might though since you are blinking in and out of existence, the displacement type of effect from things like displacer beasts might have an impact too if they happen to be in an unaffected square.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Just read the spells that provide concealment, because they might have such a thing as a side effect. Concealment by itself won't help you against such attacks.
    Also, shield blocks magic missile. No need for fancy stuff :)

7. - Top - End - #7

but you do need line of effect (prevented by full cover) and line of sight (prevented by full concealment though sometimes it can be as simple as a spot to check to overcome) to target.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It depends a bit on what is granting cover/concealment, but in general, the answer is no. Blink is a bit of an exception, although you take half damage from area effects (Fireball) rather than gain a miss chance. Note that Magic Missile is a force spell, and thus hits a Blinking target without a problem.

Cover only applies to area effects if the target has cover from the center of the area. It doesn't matter if they have cover from the caster or not. (At least, that was the rule last time I checked.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Latronis View Post
    you can't see them the fire does
    Is there a spell to animate fire?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Is there a spell to animate fire?
    without a doubt there very soon will be now

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Living spell template, animate breath weapon from book of dragons, Control Flame from 3.0, raging flame from 3.5... >.>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

...isn't there just an "animate flame" spell or somesuch? Turns a campfire into a Tiny or Small elemental? I know I've seen that somewhere...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Cover does apply against some area spells, conferring a bonus to reflex saves, but concealment and miss chances mostly do not. Incorporeality is a special case here, however, and almost always applies (even if the attack specifically ignores miss chances).

Bear in mind that you cannot target a creature that has total concealment relative to you if you don't know their position from other means -- this might preclude you from using most spells against them, even if they don't require an attack roll.

Also, this probably belongs in the Simple Q&A (by RAW) thread.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-08-26 at 02:27 PM.