New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Quick question about Aid, mass.

I'm confused about something related (to Mass Aid on page 8 of the Spell Compendium) - specifically, it doesn't seem to have a maximum amount of recipients. Does this mean I can affect any amount of mobs so long as no two of them are more than 30 feet apart?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Quick question about Aid, mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    I'm confused about something related (to Mass Aid on page 8 of the Spell Compendium) - specifically, it doesn't seem to have a maximum amount of recipients. Does this mean I can affect any amount of mobs so long as no two of them are more than 30 feet apart?
    Yyyyyyyyyup. It means about 36 Medium targets, if you pack them in there reeeeeeal tight.

3. - Top - End - #3

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Yyyyyyyyyup. It means about 36 Medium targets, if you pack them in there reeeeeeal tight.
    And more if you bring in ramps or the like? Excellent, my army devisions will love to hear that! Thanks
    Last edited by Kudaku; 2010-08-24 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Up to four medium creatures can participate in grapple (and thus occupy the same square).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Up to four medium creatures can participate in grapple (and thus occupy the same square).
    Drill Sergeant Nasty: "Alright, maggots, it's cuddle time." *casts mass aid*

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGuy

further thought experiment... Build a 5 foot high ramp, have 25 targets grapple on top of it and 25 targets getting it on underneath it, get into the middle of the (ugh...) sweaty pile and cast mass aid - I make that 200 targets, as long as you make the check to cast from a grapple

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Then you stack them 30 feet high. Then you remember how the Pythagorean Theorem works and edit your post.

edit#2: A 30' pyramid would work, wouldn't it?

Also, don't forget to mass reduce person them first.
    Last edited by arrowhen; 2010-08-24 at 08:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGuy

So during my next session I'll tell the dungeon master I want to build a six story glass (for LoS) parking structure that I want my guys to practice wrestling moves in... That sounds like something that should be on pay-per-view after midnight .

Right, I think I'll stick to the 36 man original ruling, but thanks for the jokes and the rather horrible imagery!
    Last edited by Kudaku; 2010-08-24 at 08:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

It wouldn't have to be glass. A scaffolding structure, like a jungle gym, would work. Plus, you could make it collapsible for easy portability.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    And more if you bring in ramps or the like? Excellent, my army devisions will love to hear that! Thanks
    You could also stick them in a very wide siege tower (40ft. or so wide, 40ft. high; so it's more like a siege cube, but you could make it taller for very high walls). Each elevated layer could be 5ft. apart from the lower/higher layer (so each medium soldier would probably need to crouch slightly; not really a problem).

Or you could have something without walls - maybe like a layered bleacher stand with ladders. Essentially assists soldiers in standing above one another to take up as much three dimensional space as possible. Good for if they aren't trained to be cheer leaders that can form really big human pyramids.

as long as you make the check to cast from a grapple
    If the person is an ally, I think they can willingly let you cast.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-08-24 at 09:58 PM.