New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Killer Axis

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Killer Axis

I was just DMing a campaign for the first time, when one player (horusmaster9) came up with his alignment idea:
    Potential new axis based on killing:
    Pacifist - Goes out of way to avoid killing.
    Resistant - Would rather not kill, but would do so anyway.
    Militant - Would kill whatever gets in the way.

Examples:
    Lawful Good Pacifist - Good, law-abiding citizens who wouldn't think of killing anything unless as an absolute (and seriously absolute) last resort. Examples might include most ordinary citizens or clerics.
    Lawful Good Militant - Those who live to smite evil on behalf of the breaking of laws or under the order of things like kings or gods. Examples might include very dedicated albeit violent paladins.
    Chaotic Neutral Resistant - Those who do what they want, when they want, and don't mind killing people along the way. Examples might include rogues.
    Chaotic Good Resistant - Overall good, but does things the way they see fit and might utilize plans that involve a few deaths. Examples might include rebels.
    True Neutral - They just don't care about anything. Examples might include particularly bored peasants.
    Chaotic Militant Evil - Particularly ax-crazy people who would cause chaos purely because they can. Examples might include big bads.
    The likelihood is that I'll use this as the rest of the players love the idea. Is there any drawbacks to this (other than increasing the alignment size) that could warrant me not using this? He came up with the idea when I starting debating on whether a Chaotic Good person would intimidate a barkeep then murder him in cold blood if he didn't respond.
    Last edited by Manga Maniac; 2010-08-26 at 05:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Killer Axis

Just don't add Square/Funky as well, otherwise you'll have to draw a hypercube.

In the meantime, who wants to figure out/find evidence for Batman being all 27 alignments instead of all 9?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    In the meantime, who wants to figure out/find evidence for Batman being all 27 alignments instead of all 9?
    Well, he usually has the imperative to not to kill, but there have been other depictions…
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you should either toss out everything and start from fresh or use the already present system. What you are proposing just kind of adds unnecessary complexity.

Use your thing you came up with and add one or two things to it and drop the whole LC-GE
    That which creates life has power to take it right back .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, he usually has the imperative to not to kill, but there have been other depictions…
    Whereas if he were held to a paladin's moral rules, he'd be responsible for murdering half of Gotham.

But, yes, this needs Square and Funky added in on top of it. Any other alignment axes we can add?

Pacifist Evil sounds like it might be a bit wiggy.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-08-25 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Just don't add Square/Funky as well, otherwise you'll have to draw a hypercube.

Tesserae. *obscenety* yah.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Pacifist Evil sounds like it might be a bit wiggy.
    Lawful Evil Pacifist: It's not my job to kill him, that's what trained executioners or slaves with heavy rocks are for.
    Neutral Evil Pacifist: Killing him won't benefit me nearly as much as forcing him into crippling credit card debt for the rest of his life.
    Chaotic Evil Pacifist: Kill him? But then he'll stop twitching and yelping and it won't be funny anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you should either toss out everything and start from fresh or use the already present system. What you are proposing just kind of adds unnecessary complexity.
    For the record, it wouldn't have any effect gameplay wise. Its just so the PCs and monsters can get a clearer definition on how they'll be playing the game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mmm, motivations.

Or method cues.

Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide