New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [3.5] DMPC ally suggestions for a solo gestalt game

I am going to be running a combat-focused solo campaign for a friend. He has very little prior D&D experience. His character will be a Paladin//Wilder gish, and we're starting at level 1.

I've got no problems designing encounters for him or advising him on his build, but we've agreed that he should have some allies for at least some of his adventures. Generally, they'll be one or two other gestalt characters that I will build and run, but allow him to suggest what he thinks they should do in combat and such (e.g. attack my target, protect the caravan, etc.).

What I could use some help with is coming up with flavorful and fun characters that will compliment his and provide good support without overshadowing his only moderately powerful build. They can be gestalt or single-classsed, depending on the power level of the classes.

Ideas I've got so far include a halfling Ranger//Scout, and a warforged Factotum/Soulknife.

Suggestions?
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] DMPC ally suggestions for a solo gestalt game

I'd go for some sort of healer/buffer character. Greatly increases the survivability of the PC without detracting from the focus on him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Personally, I'd skip it. You are already allowing gestalt. I'd skip the majority of traps, unless they are the kind that can be avoided by cautious play, or are just there to deplete resources. There is no point in adding traps, and then adding a rogue to find/remove them. If he wants extra help, I'd consider the Wild Cohort, or similar feats.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I'd skip the majority of traps
    Oh, yeah, I'm totally not planning to have traps 95% of the time. I'd only throw some in if it thematically fit with the specific dungeon or whatever that there HAD to be traps, and even then, they wouldn't likely be a big deal. Factotum and Scout weren't planned as trap-finders, just as high-skillpoint characters, since he'll have 4+int mod and probably no Int worth speaking of.

I'd go for some sort of healer/buffer character
    Good idea. I hadn't really thought of this because Paladin already has self-healing, and he's planning to use the Wilder powers to self-buff. That said, what kind of buff/utility caster class would work well here? Maybe Bard?
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge of Dreams View Post
    Good idea. I hadn't really thought of this because Paladin already has self-healing, and he's planning to use the Wilder powers to self-buff. That said, what kind of buff/utility caster class would work well here? Maybe Bard?
    Gestalt Bard//Favored Soul might fit that niche rather well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well, since the character in question is an NPC, lets stick to NPC classes. Say, healer//marshal.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.