New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default PF Item Creation Question

Does anyone know if there's a definitive rule for Pathfinder item creation and spell prerequisites? There are two conflicting sections in the SRD that have left me confused.

The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites.
    If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the item, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require. The act of working on the item triggers the prepared spells, making them unavailable for casting during each day of the item's creation. (That is, those spell slots are expended from the caster's currently prepared spells, just as if they had been cast.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: PF Item Creation Question

It seems fairly straightforward to me - the caster must have the prerequisite spell(s) - which are expended during creation.

If they don't, they fail to meet that prerequisite and the DC increases by 5.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree.

The spell must be a "known spell" for the caster, this cannot be overcome by increasing the DC by 5. Otherwise wizards would be creating wands of Cure Light Wounds.

The poor wording is:

"The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites."

because directly after that they list another exception. of needing the spell to be one of your spells known.

4. - Top - End - #4

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    "The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites." .
    I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a wizard could add +5 to the craft DC to create a continuously active wondrous item of cure light wounds if he has the item creation feat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a wizard could add +5 to the craft DC to create a continuously active wondrous item of cure light wounds if he has the item creation feat.
    I'm not sure that making a spell with duration "instantaneous" into a continuously active item makes any sense

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sokbeest View Post
    I'm not sure that making a spell with duration "instantaneous" into a continuously active item makes any sense
    Shillelagh, then.