New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Wizard with domains?

I am planning to enter the Divine Oracle Prestige Class with my Diviner. The first level gives me the Oracle Domain. How does this work for the Wizard? Do I just get the domain ability? Do I get to cast the extra spells as if I was a Cleric with the Domain?
    The knight in glamered spiked armor

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard with domains?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes View Post
    I am planning to enter the Divine Oracle Prestige Class with my Diviner. The first level gives me the Oracle Domain. How does this work for the Wizard? Do I just get the domain ability? Do I get to cast the extra spells as if I was a Cleric with the Domain?
    Typically, you get the power and most wizards with domains add the domain spells to their spellbooks at the appropriate level and prepare them as normal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    Typically, you get the power and most wizards with domains add the domain spells to their spellbooks at the appropriate level and prepare them as normal.
    Well, they still have to find the spells as scrolls and scribe them to the spellbook. Oh, and if an arcane version of the spell exists at all, they have to track that down, instead of using the divine version. So, you'd better befriend a rainbow warsnake or the like.

The rules for adding domains on classes that do not normally get them are described at page 20 of Complete Divine, for the record.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-08-27 at 07:36 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, they still have to find the spells as scrolls and scribe them to the spellbook. Oh, and if an arcane version of the spell exists at all, they have to track that down, instead of using the divine version. So, you'd better befriend a rainbow warsnake or the like.

The rules for adding domains on classes that do not normally get them are described at page 20 of Complete Divine, for the record.
    Wow. That's really interesting. I always thought you just got nothing as a Wizard in that situation. I'm glad that I know better now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much, its just added to your spell list. You can opt to learn it as one of your 2 spells/level, or scribe it from a scroll (provided you can find an arcane version) or take if as one of your spells know for spontaneous casters. Note that even if it isn't in your book, you can still use spell trigger items of the spell since it is on YOUR class list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You can opt to learn it as one of your 2 spells/level
    Interestingly, Complete Divine does not mention that as an option, but specifically states you have to copy it from a scroll.

Equally amusing is that by the text, spontaneous casters who know their whole list (beguiler, warmage, dread necromancer) can't gain them aside from Advanced Learning. ("[a non-cleric spontaneous caster] may select a domain spell to add to her spells known whenever she would have an option to select a new known spell.")

Not following the rules to such extend is a reasonable course of action, in my opinion.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, by those rules, it doesn't even get added to your spell list, which means that TECHNICALLY you couldn't use scrolls or wands of them without UMD. Wierd. Arcane Disciple DOES add the domain spells to your spell list.

I'm guessing it was another failure of WotCs amazing editing staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Huh, by those rules, it doesn't even get added to your spell list, which means that TECHNICALLY you couldn't use scrolls or wands of them without UMD. Wierd. Arcane Disciple DOES add the domain spells to your spell list.

I'm guessing it was another failure of WotCs amazing editing staff.
    It also fails to specify how to handle the domain granted powers dependent on your cleric level, so by RAW you would gain no benefit from, say, Travel Domain's granted power.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show